Brewer Fanatic

4/21/08 Cardinals (Wainwright) at Brewers (Villanueva): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
Well, I'm certainly looking forward to Yost's nightly condescending, defensive interview.

Reporter: "Was Derrick really the guy you wanted there in the 9th after nearly a week off and problems so far this year?"

Yost: (sneers) "Of course he was. That's the guy we wanted in that situation last year. That's what he did. There was no reason to think he couldn't do it tonight."

Reporter: (pauses)

Yost: (stares)

Reporter: So...Villanueva pitched pretty well tonight.

Yost: "Oh yeah. I was very pleased."

you forgot the:

Yost: "things happen"

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm concerned that the Brewers can't seem to beat St. Louis. With the unbalanced schedule, lack of success against the Cardinals coupled with the poor road record of previous years (e.g. at PNC Park against a team that they should beat) makes a division championship a much harder goal to achieve.

If he puts in Riske and he gives up the run, you guys are asking why Turnbow isn't in there. Anything Yost does, you guys criticize.

That is completely and utterly false. I'd like you to find ONE person on this site that was calling for Turnbow to come in for the ninth.

Ditto Dreams.

I hate to say it, but right now this division looks like the Cubs' to lose. Oh well, a lot of things can happen in a 143 games.

Uhhh. I hope you're not serious. The Cubs have had a pretty cupcake schedule thus far...only 6 road games against Pitt and Philly, the rest home games against the Astros, Pitt, Reds, and now the Mets.

On top of that it is really really early.

If he puts in Riske and he gives up the run, you guys are asking why Turnbow isn't in there. Anything Yost does, you guys criticize.

That is completely and utterly false. I'd like you to find ONE person on this site that was calling for Turnbow to come in for the ninth.

Uhhh, I never said anyone was calling for Turnbow to come in.

Exactly. Ned has shown ZERO confidence in Turnbow this year and then he brings him in to a tie game in the 9th when we have 14 pitchers on the roster...RIIIIDICULOUS

EDIT: If he puts in Riske and he gives up the run, you guys are asking why Turnbow isn't in there. Anything Yost does, you guys criticize.

Huh? Nobody wants Turnbow. However, I will agree with you that Yost gets too much of the blame. I will let him slide on this one if we DFA Turnbow because of it.

I can't wait until Yost gets fired, it is almost worth tanking this year just to get it done. I can't believe he is going to bring in Gagne if we score here.
This is the kind of statement that shows how ridiculous the Yost hate has gotten.

This one is on Turnbow/Kendall. It should have been obvious after Turnbow's first pitch that Cardinals hitters were looking for a first pitch fastball. Why the hell do you throw another first pitch fastball to Schumacker? I know you'd like to get a first pitch strike, but you've got to pick up on this stuff. They did seem to adjust, but did so a batter too late.

This one is on Turnbow/Kendall. It should have been obvious after Turnbow's first pitch that Cardinals hitters were looking for a first pitch fastball. Why the hell do you throw another first pitch fastball to Schumacker? I know you'd like to get a first pitch strike, but you've got to pick up on this stuff. They did seem to adjust, but did so a batter too late.

"I was saving Riske for the 10th."

That's really all you need to know and why it was Yost's fault. He takes the better pitcher and intentionally holds him out to a situation that is not likely to happen because an inferior pitcher, who hasn't pitched in a week or in a pressure situation this year is coming in. That is ALL on Yost.

That's really all you need to know and why it was Yost's fault. He takes the better pitcher and intentionally holds him out to a situation that is not likely to happen because an inferior pitcher, who hasn't pitched in a week or in a pressure situation this year is coming in. That is ALL on Yost.
Yost had to pitch Turnbow in a tight game eventually to show some confidence in him/shut him up.

This is the kind of statement that shows how ridiculous the Yost hate has gotten.

I don't buy it. There are plenty of Ned realists here who are turning to the Yost hate. The loss can't be entirely blamed on Ned, but, Neds entire job is to maximize his options and leverage the teams assets to give us the best possible situation and our best chances.

So lets review..

Hart was SENT on contact and into a what.. 1 - 5 - 1 - 5 FC? With one out.. that was a completely overly aggressive out.

Gross's over aggressive 3B FC out during the Kendall AB.

Then Turnbow. Hart gave up a run via na error. That can't be pined on Yost. But when you are tied in the 9th. And have a 14 pitcher roster, why do you go to the person who hasn't shown to be able to pitch effectively for awhile now? There are plenty of other options, including a well rested Riske.

Yost had to pitch Turnbow in a tight game eventually to show some confidence in him/shut him up.

No. Turnbow has to EARN a spot in a tight game by throwing good ball in junk innings. Yost doesn't owe him anything, DBow needs to earn confidence.

Just wondering if anyone else was thinking about a squeeze play when Hart was third and Hall was up? It would have been the go ahead run and I think Hart and Hall would be able to execute it fairly well. I think that would have been a great opportunity to catch the cards off guard.

would have been nice to have that option but billy hall can't bunt. it would have been nice if he could have at least pushed the ball the other way

I know last night's game was last night's game, but when coming up with alternative reasons as to why we lost the game besides Yost being a moron, gross getting tagged out on the bases should NOT be one of them. yeah, what he did was dumb, but he at least got himself in a run down long enough for kendall to make it to second (barely). if gross stayed at second, kendall gets thrown out and the play would have resulted in the same situation - a runner at second base.

just saying...

The Turnbow of 05 and early 06, regularly worked at 97-98, occasionally 99 with his fastball. These days he's 95-96. That doesn't seem like much, but when hitters can sit on it, it's night and day. So it's more than just control with him. He's lost just enough velocity that combined with a lack of command spells trouble.

He's lost just enough velocity that combined with a lack of command spells trouble.

Is there any reason to think that his lack of being used so far this year is a reason why the velocity is down? I agree with you if he can't get his velocity back up combined with his control issues it doesn't look good for Turnbow.

would have been nice to have that option but billy hall can't bunt. it would have been nice if he could have at least pushed the ball the other way

whatever, didn't billy hall have the walkoff squeeze in 2004 the day after he had a walkoff HR?

and even though its been beaten to death, i can't believe that Yost threw Turnbow in the ninth. I didnt agree with putting Gagne in on sunday but i understood where he was coming from. But turnbow last night? seriously? horrible decision.

Archived