Brewer Fanatic

Miller Park Location

paul253

As many of you probably know, the new Twins stadium is being constructed on the edge of downtown Minneapolis, across I-394 from the Target Center. This is the opposite side of downtown from the Dome, so most parking structures that are used for dome events will not be used for the new stadium. The new stadium will also have a light rail stop at the front gate. Anyhow, I did a lot of work on the planning of the new stadium, and as many have talked about, downtown parkign is going to be a huge hassle for any games that start at 6 or earlier during the week. Since it will be an open air stadium, I would imagine they would have several 6 pm starts in the spring and fall to avoid the cold as much as possible. Anyhow, there are 4 huge parking structures by the new stadium. However, for early games, they would not be able to hold all the cars for the game. It could get ugly.

The same thing would happen in downtown Milwaukee. A downtown stadium would have been neat, but I think Miller Park is fine where it is.

The parcel of land that is called The North End (which is the area east of Lacke & Joys and west of Water St before if curves) is nothing but construction. It was a very large old warehouse which they tore down. I'm not sure if we're discussing the same area, because the area I'm picturing (and drive past 4 times a day) is full of construction workers are we speak.

I guess for me the biggest point is parking. You lose all the parking revenue. You have to build more UGLY parking structures and you lose tailgating. I, too, would live in walking distance were the stadium built downtown, but I don't see that as a bonus to outweigh the other things. I'd much rather drive the 10 minutes to MP.

I guess we werent talking about about the same thing. You are talking about about a development called "The North End". When I referred to entire north end being empty, I meant the entire north end of downtown.

Parking would be tough, thats a given. Like I've always said said, Downtown would have been better for the city, and the current location is better for fans. I just think it would be interesting to how downtown would be different if the stadium were down there.

Archived