Brewer Fanatic

MIL activates Yovani Gallardo from 15-Day DL; Joe Dillon optioned to AAA Nashville

Brewer Fever

Two things ... don't read too much into the MLB.com pitching probables. Those are usually just a guide and get submitted five days in advance. Obviously, they can be tweaked as needed, but just because a pitcher is listed there tomorrow or the next day does not mean that the probables are inside Ned Yost's mind.

Also, has there EVER been a situation when a trade is "teased" by a roster move a day or two in advance? It seems like everytime something weird like this happens, people think a trade is in the immediate works. Wouldn't the braintrust follow their own advice (i.e. not activating a starter until absolutely necessary) and consummate the trade before adjusting their roster to accomodate?

WEll yeah, but no question about when Stetter goes back down? I assume tomorrow with Gwynn then coming up.

It sort of makes sense to keep Stetter today against the Reds.

It still means no RH bench hitter when facing a lefty starter.

Yeah -- I can't believe they are going to go without a RH guy on the bench until they figure out what to do with Sheets.

M'eh

It's pretty temporary as we shift through a few injuries. (Gwynn, Sheets and Yovanni) This will be worked out in no time. And it isn't like we are wasting a Joe Dillon option - because we were never going to use them all anyways. I am kind of surprised it wasn't Gross being sent down.

And in all seriousness, if we need a RH bat off the bench - Yovani could pinch hit.

Two things ... don't read too much into the MLB.com pitching probables. Those are usually just a guide and get submitted five days in advance. Obviously, they can be tweaked as needed, but just because a pitcher is listed there tomorrow or the next day does not mean that the probables are inside Ned Yost's mind.
I know how pitching probables work. They were tweaked, just today in fact. Bush's start is getting skipped. The probables can be a usefull tool if you're up to date with changes made. Had anyone tried to make any predictions based on the probables listed yesterday at this time, yes it would be been fruitless.

This will certainly be an interesting game to watch. Depending on the game situation, I would be hesitant to use Counsell as a PH. I would be tempted to keep him just in case someone on the field pulls a hammy.

They're playing to win, and basically saying "screw convention". Without Sheets, they have a 24 man roster, so a 13/11 mix is not that odd really.

No one has brought it up, but it's not nearly as stupid as carrying 4 catchers like they did in '02.

It's because it was the Reds - with Dunn and Griffey they could use an extra lefty for a day, thus Stetter. So they borrow Stetter for a day for an extra lefty against Dunn and Griffey until Gwynn is ready the next day. Had it not been the Reds, or another team with several high-power lefty bats, the move would probably not have been made. Not a big deal.

Seems pretty clear to me, assuming Sheets is able to pitch sometime in the next week or so, Gwynn will be activated in the next day or two, and they will say goodbye to McCLung, Turnbow, or Stetter - perhaps in that order of probability. Then, next week when Cameron is back, they will say goodbye to Gabe Gross, and probably bring Dillon back, with adjustments to the rotation and an additional pitcher being sent to AAA or given the opportunity to share their talents elsewhere. As usual however, there is still time for injury to sort this stuff out.

It all hinges on Sheets, but assuming he is ok, and no injuries in the meantime, here's what I think we are looking at on the 29th...

Sheets

Gallardo

Suppan

Villanueva

Bush

Gagne

Mota

Torres

Riske

Shouse

Stetter (I think they want the additional lefty)

McClung (he can fill the mop up roll the same as Turnbow)

Kendall

Rivera

Fielder

Weeks

Hardy

Hall

Braun

Cameron

Hart

Dillon

Counsell

Gwynn

Kapler

I'm not certain on the Turnbow, thing as unlike McCLung or Stetter, once you get rid of him, he's gone for good, but I just get the sense both sides may feel it may be time to cut ties.

Likewise on the last outfielder. Gwynn probably brings the most to the party as the last guy on the bench, but whether we are talking Gwynn, Gross or Kapler probably doesn't matter much. Kapler would appear to be the safest though.

Regarding Stetter, I would love to see him stick with the team, but barring a trade or something, he will have to go down. I think he could be a nice weapon in the bullpen that can be used in the late innings, certainly against lefties, but also righties.

The Cards do have a few lefties in (Duncan, Ankiel, Schumaker, Kennedy,) as well as the Phillies (Howard, Utley, Jenkins, Dobbs) so maybe someone else is going down in that Stetter certainly could be used this week as well given the competition.

14 pitchers is utterly ridiculous, no matter what reason makes the most sense. I suppose that statement alone doesn't add much to the conversation but I'm completely dumbfounded.

I think Ned secretly wants to carry a 15 man pitching staff. 8 everyday position players, one backup catcher, and one super utility switch-hitting bench player who can play all 8 positions in the field.

Since it's Melvin's call I'm sure you really meant it's Melvin's secret ambition to hamstring the roster so he can finnaly have an excuse to fire Yost.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived