Brewer Fanatic

4/20/08 Brewers (Gallardo) at Reds (Harang): 12:15 PM CDT

wOOgiE22

No I was being serious just because there are enough save situations over the course of a season. If you pitch your closer in "non-save" situations too you are going to burn them out.

Obviously I'd like having Cordero go against Braun, Fielder, Hart, but I just think that closers are geared to close and if you pitch them in tie games also, you will wear them out.

I could be wrong on this, but just my opinion.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saying it's not Weeks' fault for a weakly hit grounder is like saying it's not Sheets' fault for being frail... I've never been a believer in luck, at some point there should be a realization that we all have ownership of the situation we find ourselves in...

It's one thing to hit a ball hard right at someone, it's another to meakly groundout, which is what Prince just did at the worst possible time. That DP was a killer.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

So you would not use your best relief pitcher in a very tight spot just because its not a save situation? Isn't the goal here to get the game tied into the bottom of the 9th or, at worst, into extra innings?
Fair question. I guess if it were September. Yes. Or playoff baseball, ABSOLUTELY.

But in April, on back to back days, I just think doing that every time the situation arises will burn out your closer. (unless you plan on your team being bad and not having a whole lot of save situations).

Mabe this is bad logic. I don't know. I'm just thinking long-term.

I have NO problem with the premise of bringing him in being the "right" move. I just feel like it runs the risk of burning him out.

Wow, Stetter is looking as good today as he looked bad the other day.

Don't forget that after allowing the first two guys two reach in his other appearance, he did K the next two before coming out.

Cordero only goes 1 inning, that's awesome. A little more credence to what Ned was thinking last year in not bringing in Cordero in 8th inning jams. Maybe there's a book out on Cordero that says he doesnt do well beyond 3 outs.

I would give Shouse the save opportunity.

For reasons of the lefty heavy line-up and these clowns have already gotten 2 looks at Gagne.

As far as Prince bunting goes... take the player's name and the player's place in the batting order completely out of context to see.

runners 1st and 2nd with no outs; need a run. 99 times out of 100 you see a sacrifice.

but as soon as you know it's the biggest power hitter and the clean-up spot and all of a sudden it doesn't make baseball sense.

So you would not use your best relief pitcher in a very tight spot just because its not a save situation? Isn't the goal here to get the game tied into the bottom of the 9th or, at worst, into extra innings?
Fair question. I guess if it were September. Yes. Or playoff baseball, ABSOLUTELY.

But in April, on back to back days, I just think doing that every time the situation arises will burn out your closer. (unless you plan on your team being bad and not having a whole lot of save situations).

Mabe this is bad logic. I don't know. I'm just thinking long-term.

I have NO problem with the premise of bringing him in being the "right" move. I just feel like it runs the risk of burning him out.

The "burnout" argument holds merit, it's really the only argument I can understand for why you shouldn't do it. Mathematically, if we were assuming any pitcher can throw an unlimited amount throughout the year, it would be in a team's best interest to use the better relievers first to ensure that the tie is not broken and therefore the offense continues to get chances to win.

But if you're saying that doing it throughout the course of the year may put too much of a strain on your closer and make him ineffective later in the year, I can buy that.

Archived