Brewer Fanatic

4/20/08 Brewers (Gallardo) at Reds (Harang): 12:15 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
I mean, what is the percentage of times a save situation presents itself (to begin an inning nonetheless) and a closer isn't used?

See: Papelbon, Jonathan

How many times was someone else used last year in a save situation when Papelbon was healthy? Maybe Papelbon told Francona he wasn't able to go. maybe because he had some history as his manager, he knew Papelbon might be gassed.

And again, there is no proof that gagne was worn down.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a Yost basher, I think he gets a lot of undue crap on this board, but not for his actions yesterday. He, not Gagne, gets the blame from me.

Because he trusted his new closer in saying he's ready? You can say it's Yost's fault, but I feel it's a learning experience. Gagne only threw 11 pitches on Saturday and pitched 4 games in 4 days last year with Texas so it's not like Yost is reinventing the wheel here. Gagne is fragile and can't pitch four straight days unlike other closers so hopefully the Brewers know this now. I wouldn't jump ship after one game on this. New players are a learning experience for the coaches and Yost. If Gagne is that tired that he can't get 1 out 3 players to get one out of three guys out he shouldn't even be pitching 3 days in a row.

And as far as the money...it does matter. You make the cash you better do your job. It's that way in baseball and most other jobs outside of sports. With the big bucks comes the pressure and added expectations.

Archived