Brewer Fanatic

4/20/08 Brewers (Gallardo) at Reds (Harang): 12:15 PM CDT

wOOgiE22

This would mark the first, unconditional, undebateable YOSTED game so far this season.

Thumbs up to Yovanni, Stetter, and J.J.

Thumbs down to the rest of the sad excuse for an offense, and for Yost, who unimaginably ran Gagne out there for the 4th straight game (on four straight days, no less).

Due to this, Derek Turnbow has to officially feel like the most worthless major league pitcher in all of baseball right now - this would have been an ideal game to let him come in and see if he could have gotten the job done, and Yost didn't even think of it. I'm no fan of Turnbow, but if he's going to take up a roster spot, you HAVE to give him an opportunity to contribute to the team's success/failure. The season's too long to just hide a guy out there.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After Gagne spit up the save in game 1, I jokingly asked my friend how many saves Gagne, at 10 mil per year, would have to blow in the month of April to lose his closer job? 5? All of a sudden 5 blown saves in April is looking like about even money. In the immortal words of Kent Brockman, "would you say it's time to panic?"

I've never been a Yost hater, but today he lost a TON of points in my book. I just..... I don't even know what to say. 4 days in a row?! With a 14 man pitching staff?! Are you serious?

I can't believe he did that. I can... but I can't.

Melvin did pay gagne 10 million but that doesnt mean he is going to have a bionic arm all the sudden. It was not a good idea. Maybe Cordero did go 5 or 6 games in a row last year, but gagne isnt Cordero and we are going to have to live with that.

Sweeps, using Gagne 4 straight is like asking your starter to throw 125 pitches. If you had a guy pitch 8 shutout, then go back out for the ninth and give it up....would you boo the pitcher, or question the decision to leave him in there?

I would have been upset at Ned if Gagne had closed it out. We shouldn't be using a relief pitcher with a history of arm problems 4 days in a row. Plus, it seems that every year our closer does a good job in April and May, and pitches every day. Then he falls apart in the second half. Usually our catcher falls apart too. But yet we use them the same way every year. Ned never learns. No brains, no headaches!

Gagne has proven he blows saves no matter the situation. I refuse to take the easy route and just blame Ned. I'll never fault a manager for using his best pitcher to close out a game. I highly doubt this had anything to do with Gagne throwing 50 pitches over 3 nights. Unfortunately we'll probably see more of this from Gagne.

Someone tell me how you justify this.

I don't consider myself a Yost backer and I'm kind of on the fence with him, but why is Gagne this fragile closer that can't pitch 4 days in a row? IIRC Coco went 6 straight days last year and I think he did quite well. For $10 million, Gagne should be able to get 1 out of 3 guys out and he didn't today. Could Yost have brought someone else in? Sure. It's early in the season and hopefully Yost knows that Gagne is fragile and can't be counted on more than 3 days in a row.

Gagne even last year was somewhat durable. He pitched 3 times in 2 days last year and 4 times in 4 days. I don't think it's such an eye popping move that it's being made out to be here. It's early in the season and again Yost hasn't had Gagne on his team before and hopefully we'll learn from it. If you want to called it being Yosted, that's fine. A series win is still a series win -- even with the fragile pedless $10 million arm that when he's great it's because he's good and when he's bad (see the IGTs from his blown saves) it's Yosts fault. Typical treatment of Ned Yost.

I can't wait to hear what the Yost-backers have to say about this. Because, you know, we're all so negative and get on his back way too much. Someone tell me how you justify this.

Umm, closers pitching four days in a row isn't all that odd. Cordero did it twice last year, one of the times he went six in a row. And Gagne's save yesterday was pretty effortless.

Someone tell me how you justify this.

I don't consider myself a Yost backer and I'm kind of on the fence with him, but why is Gagne this fragile closer that can't pitch 4 days in a row? IIRC Coco went 6 straight days last year and I think he did quite well. For $10 million, Gagne should be able to get 1 out of 3 guys out and he didn't today. Could Yost have brought someone else in? Sure. It's early in the season and hopefully Yost knows that Gagne is fragile and can't be counted on more than 3 days in a row.

Gagne even last year was somewhat durable. He pitched 3 times in 2 days last year and 4 times in 4 days. I don't think it's such an eye popping move that it's being made out to be here. It's early in the season and again Yost hasn't had Gagne on his team before and hopefully we'll learn from it. If you want to called it being Yosted, that's fine. A series win is still a series win -- even with the fragile pedless $10 million arm that when he's great it's because he's good and when he's bad (see the IGTs from his blown saves) it's Yosts fault. Typical treatment of Ned Yost.

Because we're carrying a 14 man pitching staff. Should Gagne have been able to handle it? Maybe. But not because he makes $10 million. To me, that's not relevant here. He's been prone to injury in the past - why even put him in here and take the chance? His velocity was down yesterday.

I guess it's the idea that there are plenty of reasons not to put Gagne in there and it feels like Ned didn't concern himself with those. He gets set n these ruts - and it feels like instead of looking at the situation, as we've done, and seeing it's a bad choice, he had one thought "Gagne's our closer." And that's it.

I also feel it's a larger issue (mentioned over in the Yost thread on Major Leagues) that we seem to give up on these third games of a series if we already won the first two. We leave them be gravy games and just take em' or leave em' and it's these kind of games that add up and will make a difference at the end of the season.

I just don't understand how Nedly can refuse to use Shouse because he's tired but has no clue that this logic applies to Gagne as well. It's contradictory and ridiculous.

Actually it's not. Shouse and Gagne have to very different roles on the team and Shouse has been around a lot longer than Gagne. Gagne is 32 and Shouse turns 40 the end of September. I think the age by itself points out to why Shouse might be "tired" I didn't watch the game or see this anywhere so I don't know if it's a fact. Shouse could've even gone to Maddux or Yost and said I'm "tired" I can't pitch today. Is that really that ridiculous? If Gagne can't pitch 4 straight days unless he has crazy pitch counts, we'll need 2 closers this year. Back to back jacks and he walked a guy and that's Yost's fault?

Again, I didn't see the game, but some have posted that the back to back jacks were pretty good pitches. What if Shouse came in and did the same? Some would be saying why aren't we using our $10 million closer! It just didn't work for the Brewers today and it's a long season...and Yost is going to get ripped every loss...it is what it is.

Villanueva and Parra absolutely must step up now - these short starts are just toxic.

With Sheets already in question, and so many IP already hung on the bullpen, those two young men need to provide some stability.

Oh, and no extra inning games for a while probably wouldn't be a bad thing for the bullpen either...wow.

Because we're carrying a 14 man pitching staff. Should Gagne have been able to handle it?

How does the 14 man pitching staff have anything to do with it? This is most likely a very temporary staff and until we know how it's going to boil down I wouldn't use that as my basis. Gagne gets paid to get saves...4 days straight isn't asking the world of him. He's injury prone yes, but we signed him to be the closer. I think it's completely ridiculous to throw everything Ned's way, but that's my opinion. Where's Weeks today? I bet Yost told him to stink it up with runners in scoring position. Where's Braun been? Fielder? It's a complete non-issue if everyone else does their job. Did Ned maybe make a mistake? Sure. I personally don't think it's that off the rocker that some are making it out to be. Remember we don't have an off day until a week from tomorrow. Now if Yost pitches Gagne tomorrow I'll be right with some of you. That would be not so smart.

I think of it this way...Yost let Gagne face 3 batters. It's not like the Reds got 2 runs and he faced 5 or 6 guys. Yost I think did a good job of pulling the hook when he did and in the past he may have let him stay out there another batter.

Get over the loss already. You people are ripping Yost like he just blew the entire season. Yes, it was a frustrating loss but it's only April and he's still trying to get to know the limits of his new closer. If this had been a loss in September then the "Yosted" talk may be appropriate. Also, it's not like Maddux and Gagne were pleading "Please, do not put Gagne in for the fourth straight day!! He can't handle anymore pitching!" Everyone probably felt he would be alright to go another day and it just wasn't the case. Oh well; this stuff happens.

If this had been a loss in September then the "Yosted" talk may be appropriate.

What, do the games count more in September than they do now?

I'm not sure why he would pick now to test "the limits" knowing 1. He's got a deep, mostly-rested bullpen right now and 2. Gagne's injury history.

And personally, it wasn't just the Gagne thing for me...I think this game should've never gone to extras. Weeks not bunting, Yo hitting, etc. etc.

Gagne according to gameday was throwing 94-95 with his fastball on Thursday. He was throwing 91-90 today, and his velocity dropped between 1-2 MPH each on Friday and Saturday as well. He was tanked out. If ever there was a situation to use another guy today would be that day.

And as far as Coco pitching in a bunch of straight games, he doesn't have the injury history Gagne does. I just hope this doesn't turn into a Matt Wise situation where we can't use Gagne until like Thursday because he pitched in 4 straight games.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

This would mark the first, unconditional, undebateable YOSTED game so far this season.
I could not disagree more. He pitched his $10 million closer. In a 3-1 game. With the bottom of the order up. It was probably the easiest decision that he will make all year. If there is a stretch in May or June where Gagne has saved 3 straight games and we are in the same situation for game 4, I would certainly hope Ned won't hesitate to trot Gagne back out there.

He's a proven closer being paid to close games for us. This was the easiest decision of the year. There was no debate.

Get over the loss already. You people are ripping Yost like he just blew the entire season. Yes, it was a frustrating loss but it's only April and he's still trying to get to know the limits of his new closer. If this had been a loss in September then the "Yosted" talk may be appropriate.
I seriously hate it when people say this. You may have a point with the Yosted stuff if it was September? What the hell does that matter? A loss in April counts exactly the same as a loss in September.

Archived