Brewer Fanatic

4/20/08 Brewers (Gallardo) at Reds (Harang): 12:15 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 straight games for Gagne, when there are 4 other arms in the pen with closing experience...get a clue Yost!

Um, it was a save situation. Gagne is the closer. Ned had NO choice. Even if Gagne's arm had fallen off, and he had to go up there and pitch with his foot, he'd have to go in there to get that 2-run lead save.

I sure hope that post should have been in blue.

19 on Friday and 11 yesterday

I guess I don't have too much of a problem with it. It was a risk and the only thing I would've liked to see was a guy warming up sooner. Is anyone warming up in the pen yet?

But it was also 20 on Thursday

There actually is no rule that you have to pitch your closer in a save situation, especially when he has pitched 3 days in a row. We have a good pen this year and there were capable guys to close it down. I really dont think any of us would have complained if Riske would have blown this save, because that move would have made logically sense

But it was also 20 on Thursday

I still don't think it's asking that much. Giving up back to back jacks is pretty bad, but maybe Gagne just can't pitch 4 days in a row. I swear Coco did 6 last year and pitched pretty well in most of them. I have no problem with Gagne in the 4th day based on those pitch counts, but after the first HR someone should've been warming up.

Bringing in Gagne was an easy decision. Closers throw 3, 4, 5, even 6 days in a row all the time. When the Brewers have a lead in the 9th inning or behind Gagne is the guy and should be the guy. That shouldn't change.

As for jumping all over Gagne. Between Fukodome's HR and the 2 HR's today, Gagne has given up a total of TWO BASERUNNERS (one was the solo HR to Patterson in Milwaukee) over 6 outings. Get off his back. He'll be fine.

Post game press conference, April 20th:

Reporter: So, the club currently with a pretty unprecedented pitching staff, 14 pitchers, yet you went with Gagne for the 4th straight day. Why?

Do you think someone will even ask him that question? I mean, I hope so, but that's usually the type of "hard-hitting journalism" the J/S stays away from.

4 straight games for Gagne' date=' when there are 4 other arms in the pen with closing experience...get a clue Yost![/quote']

Um, it was a save situation. Gagne is the closer. Ned had NO choice. Even if Gagne's arm had fallen off, and he had to go up there and pitch with his foot, he'd have to go in there to get that 2-run lead save.

I sure hope that post should have been in blue.

It was definitely meant to be sarcastic.

As for jumping all over Gagne. Between Fukodome's HR and the 2 HR's today, Gagne has given up a total of TWO BASERUNNERS (one was the solo HR to Patterson in Milwaukee) over 6 outings. Get off his back. He'll be fine.

To me, the problem is the home run balls he's giving up. That's not good for a closer to be doing in tight situations, but I don't think he's been awful. It's just that any batter with any power will have a shot to hit one out on him it looks like. I'm not ripping on him it's just not a good thing so far with the long ball.

Archived