Brewer Fanatic

4/20/08 Brewers (Gallardo) at Reds (Harang): 12:15 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The "burnout" argument holds merit, it's really the only argument I can understand for why you shouldn't do it. Mathematically, if we were assuming any pitcher can throw an unlimited amount throughout the year, it would be in a team's best interest to use the better relievers first to ensure that the tie is not broken and therefore the offense continues to get chances to win.

But if you're saying that doing it throughout the course of the year may put too much of a strain on your closer and make him ineffective later in the year, I can buy that.

You worded it WAY better than I've been trying to word it. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I do understand that April games count the same as September games, but if you haven't done it from April-August (my logic) then you are probably able to get away with it in September.

Bullpen management issues and debates are so exhausting to read and comprehend. Long-term, short-term, blah blah blah. No offense to you guys debating this, but I dont think there is seemingly a foolproof reasoning behind any of it. I think there are percentages with things in the short term, but long term offers so many if, come, maybe's that you almost have to play for today and make today's win just as important as a potential september situation.

Archived