Brewer Fanatic

5/9/07 Nationals (Bergmann) @ Brewers (Vargas): 12:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes! GO GABE! Sorry.. last name of Gross so off course I have to root for the guy. I blame inconstant play time on his current slump. That and I didn't win the stupid Gabe Gross jersey from last night.

Quote:
Gross again? Is it because Gwynn can't play right field or something? I think Tony has earned himself another start. Especially since Gross started last night and almost cost us the game.
It's because Gabe Gross is a much, much better option than TGJ against righties, and he plays a mean right field. Did he make a mistake last night? Yep. But his D is solid, his arm is great, and it looks like Yost wants to send a message to Gabe: "Hey, forget about it! We won."
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote:
And hopefully a message to Mench: "Yeah, this starting against righties thing was somewhat fun while it lasted, but it's over."

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/roll.gif

And that is the truth!

Quote:
It's because Gabe Gross is a much, much better option than TGJ against righties, and he plays a mean right field. Did he make a mistake last night? Yep. But his D is solid, his arm is great, and it looks like Yost wants to send a message to Gabe: "Hey, forget about it! We won."

I guess it's a matter of opinion and personal preference. I just think so far, Gywnn has earned himself a start more than once every couple weeks.

Yes it is a matter of taste. I prefer a more powerful option that consistently gets on base at a high clip, & plays good defense....over a player with little power who has done a nice job getting on base this year, & plays good defense.

My main premise, however, in picking Gabe is that he's had sustained (relative) success at the MLB level, where Gwynn has only had 103 ABs in his young career. Besides, I think Gwynn isn't even in consideration for starts in RF. CF, yes....LF, perhaps....RF, no, IMO. Gross starting basically comes down to Hart/Mench/Jenks/Gross for the two corner spots. Starting Gross & Jenks v. RHP is wonderful! Gwynn will start when Hall gets a day off, so your 'deserves a start more than once every couple of weeks' moreso boils down to Hall or Gwynn, I'd guess. (Plus Tony's done a nice job PH-ing so far)

TGJ career MLB line: .282/.318/.340/.658 (TPA - 110)

Gross career ML line: .246/.351/.397/.748 (TPA - 543)

However, at this point in the 2007 season, each guy has 30 or fewer ABs, so it's obviously a small sample

Why is it that many MLers seem to fare so much better during day games? Is it just that there aren't as many? I know many, many hitters' numbers are better during the daytime...

Archived