Brewer Fanatic

$265 to Circuit City -- What to buy?

sbrylski

Invest in HDMI cables. You could probably get a couple really nice ones!

They also sell iTunes and eMusic cards there... if you're thinking about buying CDs (and maybe DVDs) with the card, I'd go that direction instead of physical discs.

Circuit City has really lost its way, hasn't it?

I enjoy shopping at Circuit City far, far more than at Best Buy. CC always seems to have the little inexpensive cords and cables that Best Buy only carries in the Monster brand, which has the most ridiculous premium/markup of anything in the store. From my experience, CC also has a better selection of TVs, printers, and that sort of stuff than Best Buy. They don't have the pretty/chic factor of Best Buy, but their utilitarian-ness speaks to the geek in me.

Their evil corporate structure and their poor store management speaks to me. They came up with Divx afterall. They aren't Compusa bad, but they're close. Blockbuster's bid for them is interesting.

And for cables, Target can work just as well if I really can't wait for say Newegg

Their evil corporate structure and their poor store management speaks to me. They came up with Divx afterall. They aren't Compusa bad, but they're close. Blockbuster's bid for them is interesting.
No doubt they are a terribly run organization. Blockbuster's bid for them says to me that if for some reason I owned stock in either company I would sell it immediately. A purveyor of a dying technology wants to buy a business that purveys technology badly? Fail.

But if you have a gift card there, I like their selection of stuff better than Best Buy. In fact I got a 3' HDMI cable from them for $10 a few weeks ago. They are what they are. If the store bothers you, shop online and pick it up in the store. Thats how I get most of my stuff from them.

I actually just bought a TV from Cc in January and was impressed at the level of service. In the store, they gave me the online price match ($300), plus free delivery, plus a 10% coupon I had in addition to 0% interest for a year. Best Buy had the same TV and I would have paid about $400 or more more than that. So I'm fairly happy with how it played out.

And for $265, I'd definitely invest in some blu-rays and MLB 08 The Show if you have a PS3, and a PS3 if you don't.

Like And That, I've generally preferred CC to BB (sorry jason21nl). Best Buys make me feel overwhelmed and nervous when I visit them, so I don't much.

But when CC pulled the mass layoff shenanigans in '07 (or was it '06?), that turned me off.

Still, Sam, if you're struggling to find a use for your remaining $, I'll take it off your hands. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

They came up with Divx afterall

I was a hired by Circuit City back in the day to sell only DIVX players. I had to give demos and convince people they were a good idea. even my email has divx in it.

I would use it towards a new dig camera

If you have kids, you cannot go wrong with a portable DVD player. I've got a little mini Panasonic with a 16:9 screen and I can get 5 hours out of the rechargable batteries. I think I spent around $265, give or take $50.

I have the Wonder Pets playing behind my headrest, and my daughter's brain is turning to mush, but at least there's no crying, and she's not kicking my seat--so I guess that's a win-win. . .right?

I use my current digital camera (that I got from DHonks) about twice a year. Not really looking to upgrade.

Guitar Hero is too addicting. And my roommate next semester has it already.

Thankfully, no kids yet. Not a movie buff.

Never much a fan of My Little Pony either.

So far, that leaves music...

endaround wrote:

Actually if you don't have a PSP, you might consider it. In case you don't know, it doesn't just do games. You can do videos, mp3s, web browsing, skype and shortly GPS.

GPS? That's just funny. Is that for when total strangers show up at your house they can look up where they are?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

i gained some major respect from best buy a couple weeks ago.

i bought a tv in february and it went on sale. they matched the new price without question.

i was also looking at an external drive that was on sale at CC. since i had $15 in reward zone coupons from buying the TV, i brought the ad in to best buy and they matched that price no questions asked either.

it took me all of one minute to get the $20 back on to my CC and a $129 external drive for about $70.

i was all ready to fight if need be. i had the return policy printed out and everything!

as for what to buy, i just got a harmony remote and love it...granted it was the cheap one. but i am sure the $200+ ones are just as nice http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

endaround wrote:

Actually if you don't have a PSP, you might consider it. In case you don't know, it doesn't just do games. You can do videos, mp3s, web browsing, skype and shortly GPS.

GPS? That's just funny. Is that for when total strangers show up at your house they can look up where they are?

PSP as in Playstation Portable

endaround wrote:

PSP as in Playstation Portable

I believe he's referring to the "shortly GPS" on the PSP.

I do enjoy CC more than BB. It always gets me when their online prices are different than their in-store prices, though. And you have to mention the online prices to get the cheaper price. Otherwise nobody says anything. So I'll usually shop online, use a coupon of some sort for an extra 10% off or $15 off $150 purchase (or similar) and pick up in store.

As to what you should buy, you can get an inexpensive camcorder for that.

Maybe a component or two for your surround sound, or an entire home-theater-in-a-box.

Maybe you need a digital frame. I don't, but maybe you do.

Or perhaps a TiVo.

Or as a last resort, I, or someone, could buy it from you for say, $250, and we can buy what we want from CC and you have money in the bank.

Archived