Brewer Fanatic

If we needed to acquire an ace, who is it?

The Rays have a decent shot to make the playoffs. Kazmir won;t be available unless they are really behing in July and given how Yankees keep getting hurt, it seems unlikely that they'd be out of the wild card chase.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

End is right that the East is open enough at this point that Tampa can probably make their first run ever, so I'd imagine they'll do everything possible to try and make that work.

If the Brewers are really looking to make a move now rather than in a month or two, it's tough because so few teams are really 'out of it' a month into the season. SF, SD, and Colorado seem to be the only ones to this point with Arizona so far ahead of the pack, so focusing on someone like Maddux, Lincecum, or Cain is probably the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...
I keep hearing about Harden's availability, and I have to believe he would be the ideal "gamble" that could propel us to the postseason, as well as act as a bridge when Sheets inevitably leaves this offseason, as has a palatable contract, as well. My question becomes, then, what is the likely asking price from Billy Beane? Would it be LaPorta? Hart? Escobar? Obviously, there is a great deal of variation as to what it may take. I would not sacrifice Hart, and I'd probably hesitate to include LaPorta, though I could be swayed as it gets closer to the trade deadline. Would he do a simple Parra for Harden trade, as it would seem the A's have been having good results from a former southpaw Brewers pitcher who dominated AAA much like young Manny. Perhaps I value Harden too highly, but when he's healthy, he rivals Ben Sheets in "stuff". So again, I ask, "What would be the asking price?" He would seem to be the best pitcher rumored on the market, outside of our own Golden Boy. If roles were reversed, what would the Brewers ask Billy Beane for Benny?

I believe the Brewers could get Randy Wolf straight up for a Gwynn + deal. I would take Wolf and try to sign him to a 3 or 4 year extension. Wolf would be perfect for the Brewers to pick up and have him behind Gallardo. If we are out of the race for a playoff spot you could always trade Sheets away and pick up a couple of pitching prospects.

I would never trade for Harden. The guy only threw 72.1 innings in 2006 and 2007 combined and has already been on the DL this year. Way too much of a risk to give up anything worthwhile.

Pipe dreams are great, but the Rays aren't dealing Kazmir.

I'm trying to not be reactionary, but I feel doing nothing isn't serving the teams interest either. I'd feel better with Weaver in the rotation right now than either Villy or Parra, to be honest. I feel like neither can get past the 5th inning.

So if we offered Prince, you're telling me that you know with absolute certainty that they wouldn't deal Prince?

And what exactly makes Weaver better than Parra? Parra's pitching much better at the big league level than Weaver is in AAA. Making a change for the sake of making a change seldom works.

Well, even before the injury there was the thought that we had minor league ammo to make a midseason move. Gallardo's injury just quickened the time frame and increased the importance.

Zach Greinke, instead of Kazmir. Cheaper and might actually be available for the right price.

Greinke would absolutely be my choice as well. I don't see the need to make whatever pitcher we acquire be a lefty. It's not as pressing to me in the rotation. Greinke though is a guy I wanted us to go after this past off-season. AT this point though I have a hard time believing that he's going to be available.

The Royals are quietly putting together a nice little nucleus. I'd have to think that if the Royals were going to deal a starting pitcher, Gil Meche would be the guy they'd look to deal. And to be honest, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I like Meche. He's got a real good arm, and his deal isn't great, but it's not that bad. His ERA is a bit inflated this year based on a couple starts as well, but overall he's done pretty well.

Mainly it just goes back to me having wanted Meche over Suppan back when we signed Supe.

The Rays would not trade Kazmir for Prince. The Brewers are unlikely to be able to get a #1 established pitcher for Fielder. You can get prospects but tteams interested in Fiedler are in contention mode and aren't going to trade away top line pitching to create hole.

I don't think anyone knows what the Rays would do if we offered Prince Fielder for Scott Kazmir.

That said, it's probably wise to deal Prince in the off-season rather than in-season. That's when you're going to get most value for him.

I will admit this guy would be a little out ther but Aaron Harang would be a good fit for the Brewers, Reds are in rebuilding mode and need to fill holes.Issue is you are helping a team in the division that could be your rival for the pennant each year.

You think the Rays are that poorly managed that they are going to give away front line pitching when they have the best record in baseball?
Well you turn that around and say, "You think the Rays are that poorly managed that they wouldn't trade for a great young hitter when they have the best record in baseball?"

I agree that they probably wouldn't do it, but it's not like the Brewers would be trying to send them prospects for Kazmir.

Sure, they'll give up prospects for one but they won't create a hole. The whole idea of trading Prince for a young established pitcher has this huge flaw that if a team is trading for Prince their window is the next three years so they aren't giving up an established top of the line starter to get him. I mean you can hope Sabean does something foolish, but outside of that it doesn't make sense.

I've always been a fan of A.J. Burnett. When he's healthy, he's done really, really well...the only problem is that he's gotten the same "fragile" stigma that's been stuck on Sheets recently.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I've always been a fan of A.J. Burnett. When he's healthy, he's done really, really well...the only problem is that he's gotten the same "fragile" stigma that's been stuck on Sheets recently.

Yea, Burnett's got really good stuff, but if the question is still on who would we get from Prince, then I think you've got to talk about Burnett and a young starter.

In fact, as a destination for Prince, the Blue Jay's may be the perfect team. They've got a lot of good young pitching and could be one of the few teams that could give up a good, good young starter and really improve by adding Prince. They've got very little offense. Hell, Matt Stairs is their DH. Marcum, McGowan, someone of that nature, and then maybe a prospect on each side for a guy like Arencibia?

Zito's career ERA is 3.73, but it's been higher than that every year since 2004. He's not that pitcher anymore. He is getting worse at just about every meaningful statistic. He was essentially a league average pitcher last year, and he's below replacement so far this year. I would't want any part of him with the contract length that he has.

I wonder if the Brewers would have thought about offering a package for Santana if they had known he was going to be traded for the package he did. Of course, Santana probably woudn't have signed long-term with Milwaukee, so that probably doesn't matter.

I'd like them to make a play for Tim Lincecum. He can be had... the Giants have so many weak areas that a multiprospect trade with Carlos V or Manny P would do the trick.. IMO.

Archived