Brewer Fanatic

4/19/08 Brewers (Suppan) at Reds (Cueto): 12:10 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
Like I said before, the move may have been somewhat by the book based on the matchup, but does ned have any feel for the game. Soup was rolling and hadn't given up a hard hit ball for a long time. I think his performance today (not to mention his pitch count) should have allowed him the opportunity to work through that inning. No one was hitting him hard and his command was impeccable.

That is how Yost managed last year though and everyone exploded at him over it. Pitcher would be cruising, give up a couple bloop hits and one hard hit ball, Yost goes to bullpen which lets in runs and everyone says he is an idiot.

There is a huge difference between between "giving up a couple of bloop hits and one hard hit ball" and having two outs with no one on and giving up a week grounder that JJ probably should have at least stopped. I'm not saying that I entirely disagree with the reasoning given the situation, but I think a good manager has a real feel for the game and would be able to tell that Soup was cruisng. Has still strong and had his command. And Ned has never had a feel for the game.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is a huge difference between between "giving up a couple of bloop hits and one hard hit ball" and having two outs with no one on and giving up a week grounder that JJ probably should have at least stopped. I'm not saying that I entirely disagree with the reasoning given the situation, but I think a good manager has a real feel for the game and would be able to tell that Soup was cruisng. Has still strong and had his command. And Ned has never had a feel for the game.

But if Suppan goes out and gives up another bloop single then do you take him out because when Yost didnt' do that last year he was a moron? Is the difference between Yost being a bad manager for taking a guy out too early or not early enough exactly one bloop single?

Yost did some pretty stupid things last year but I just don't think this is one of them. It might be a case of burning up the bullpen when you don't need to but the way we have struggled to win on the road I'm absolutely fine with better safe than sorry.

Like I said before, the move may have been somewhat by the book based on the matchup, but does ned have any feel for the game. Soup was rolling and hadn't given up a hard hit ball for a long time. I think his performance today (not to mention his pitch count) should have allowed him the opportunity to work through that inning. No one was hitting him hard and his command was impeccable.

That is how Yost managed last year though and everyone exploded at him over it. Pitcher would be cruising, give up a couple bloop hits and one hard hit ball, Yost goes to bullpen which lets in runs and everyone says he is an idiot.

The problem is your assuming Suppan gets out of it. There was no guarentee of that. Yost brought in the guy that 99 percent of the time doesn't give up a HR in that situation (or at least shouldn't). He made the right move there. He put his team in the position to win the game! Shouse failed. Period.

Soup was definitely cruising. The bloop single changed nothing. At 85 pitches and wanting to save the pen, no reason for such a quick hook imo. If we hadn't seen the last 5 pitches fail to finish the 7th, I wouldnt be complaining.

Yeah I think if he gave up back-to-back hits it would be a little more cause for concern. The guy tapped one just past JJ. I can see both sides of the arguement. And for the record I was not one of those guys you speak of from last year. I have never called him any names

The problem is he gets so hung up on the righy-lefty matchups he can't see what's going on in front of him. Soup was cruising. IF he gives up another hit you make the call. He gives up a dribbler and all of a sudden he can't go on? When a pitcher is on, and under 90 pitches, the righty-lefty thing is irrelevant.

The problem is your assuming Suppan gets out of it. There was no guarentee of that. Yost brought in the guy that 99 percent of the time doesn't give up a HR in that situation (or at least shouldn't). He made the right move there. He put his team in the position to win the game! Shouse failed. Period.

I wouldnt' go so far as to say it was the right move, but I don't think it was a bad move. It is a judgement call situation and I liked the move because it was so slow with the hook a lot of times last year. Now if he had brought in say Mota that is just a bad move.

I wouldnt' go so far as to say it was the right move, but I don't think it was a bad move. It is a judgement call situation and I liked the move because it was so slow with the hook a lot of times last year. Now if he had brought in say Mota that is just a bad move.

Good point. I would still say he didn't make a bad move.

The guy gave up 3 hits in 6 2/3 innings, none of which were hit very hard. I'm comfortable with "assuming" Soup could have pitched out of it

I doubt Yost pulled Suppan because he didn't think Suppan could finish the inning. He pulled Suppan because he saw an opportunity to put in his lefty killer with two lefties coming up. Chances are, he thought of the possible scenario before the inning started.

Look, Shouse gets the guy out almost every time. The move was perfectly valid. Shouse, for once, just didn't come through. It happens.

Archived