Brewer Fanatic

Taylor Green's power

battlekow
He's off to a great start, but his ISO is pretty low, mostly because he's yet to homer; he does have six doubles. My question to Power fans or anyone else who actually watches Green play: have his doubles been of the groundball, down-the-line variety or of the gapper, could-turn-into-homers variety? More speculatively phrased, what's his power ceiling?

i think his power ceiling is probably 20 homers...i think he's more likely to hit about 15 a year...then again, i would have said the same thing about hardy, but he hit 26 last year...

hitting homers in florida at this time of year is basically impossible, so don't hold it against him that he hasn't been hitting them yet...Mat Gamel had the exact same problem last year..

I haven't seen him play, but he seems to have enough power that it is not an issue. I do like his profile, seems somewhat similar to Cirillo good defense very high OBP patient at the plate and high average with gap power. I like Hall and his production is fine, but the major league line-up could use more high OBP guys because their power is so good already.

• 1 month later...
What position does he project as? His profile says 3B, but he's been playing 1B. Does he offer anything defensively, or would the franchise struggle to find a position for him. His bat looks red-hot this month..

In the BA prospect book last year, Gord Ash (or maybe it was Reid Nichols?) was quoted regarding Green's defense at third as saying something along the lines of "He's not a star, but he catches it, throws it, and the guy is out."

Yeah, I recall that quote. IIRC in the same book he also got a comparison to Ron Cey defensively...for those who only remember Cey as a Wrigley field statue, that might not seem like a compliment, but Cey was a pretty good defender at third at one time, so I think that's meant to indicate that he might be good if not flashy.

Green seems to be one of those players who answers questions. He's always doing something useful (like getting on base, or playing a good 2B), and then when you notice a deficiency (like power, or the fact that you don't need him at 2B), he seems to fill it in. Given his modest physical/tools profile, he seems like -- I kind of hate to say this, but sometimes it's important -- a battler. Obviously that means jack without talent, but he obviously has talent to draw on. Maybe he'll hit a ceiling and top out as a AAAA player, but I'm thinking he won't fail for lack of effort.

Greg.

Utility? Why pigeon hole a kid in A ball? If he keeps hitting there's no reason why he couldn't be the 2B of the future if Gamel sticks at 3B, or play a very servicable 3B if Gamel gets moved... AA will be the test for him, like most everyone else, but to this point in his career he's done nothing to suggest to me that his ceiling is that of a utility guy.

Utility guys are generally players like Crabbe, who don't do anything exceptionally well, but have decent game. It seems to me that most of those infield utility types have SLG that's lower than their OBP, or right in that general neighborhood.

Taylor Green's Career

Compared to Corey Hart's Minor League Career

Callix Crabbe's Career

Compared to the current utility man Craig Counsell

In my opinion nothing about Green profiles as a utility player in any way.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Green seems to be one of those players who answers questions. He's always doing something useful (like getting on base, or playing a good 2B), and then when you notice a deficiency (like power, or the fact that you don't need him at 2B), he seems to fill it in. Given his modest physical/tools profile, he seems like -- I kind of hate to say this, but sometimes it's important -- a battler. Obviously that means jack without talent, but he obviously has talent to draw on. Maybe he'll hit a ceiling and top out as a AAAA player, but I'm thinking he won't fail for lack of effort.

Greg.

I would not go so far as to say without talent.

It seems that his offensive skill set closely resembles that of this guy, albeit Green may have a somewhat higher power ceiling and a bit more versatility (unlike that other guy, he can play second and third, and probably could play left in a pinch). You probably can count on Green to give you 40 doubles a year, very solid defense, a good average, and very good OBP skills.

I wonder if he could play catcher or shortstop...

Taylor Green reminds me of Jeff Cirillo...you guys are undervaluing him here...he was the minor league player of the year last year after all...

his numbers to this point are also incredibly similar to Mat Gamel's, but with a much better bb/k ratio...Taylor doesn't look like a top prospect, but he hits very well..

might be the nicest guy in the system to boot, which is pretty cool..

Hey, Taylor Green, just in case you're reading...you know you're a prospect worth noticing when clancyphile tries to move you to catcher.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

It's a challenge to get a read on offensive ceiling in Brevard, even more so in seven weeks or so of Brevard. The Cirillo comparison is one I've thought of before...a lefty Jeff Cirillo would look very nice on the current Brewers squad. It should be noted that Green is even younger than Cirillo was at a comparable stage...Green's season in WV at 20 was even better offensively than Cirillo's excellent season in Beloit at age 22. OTOH, I would be surprised to see Green, or anyone else, as good defensively as Cirillo was...

Hey, Taylor Green, just in case you're reading...you know you're a prospect worth noticing when clancyphile tries to move you to catcher.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

It was just an idea... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gifhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Seriously, I think he's an Overbay/Cirillo type... and that would look very nice indeed... :D

Edit: Took out unneeded parts of quote. Please do not post whole block quotes when replying. - Toby

I might not have been clear... Green's numbers for some reason screamed Corey Hart to me, probably because the OPS were in the general neighborhood. I like the Overbay and Cirillo comparisons as well, he's going to hit for average with decent power. My main point was supposed to be he profiles like a starter, rather than a utility guy... which is why I included Crabbe and Counsell, those lines are what I expect out of utility infield guys.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Can he play any shortstop?

He's not a shortstop prospect, no. He has decent range at second, adequate range at third. He'd play SS like Loretta or Cirillo play SS.

Of course, that brings up the big question: If he does produce like Overbay and Cirillo did in Milwaukee (.300 average, .380-.400 OBP, 40+ doubles, 15-20 homers), would Loretta-esque defense be an acceptable trade-off?

I'd say yes.

Archived