Brewer Fanatic

TV help please

Patrick425

About 2 months ago I purchased a Samsung 46" LCD TV. They came set it up and told me the basic functions of the the remotes and left. I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff. Since I have had the TV, I have noticed for the most part that only programs in HD fill up the whole screen. I assumed this was normal. I have it set at 16:9.

I was at Chilis for dinner tonight and they have some wide screen TV throughout the resturaunt with the Brewer Game on. It filled up the whole screen. I assumed since the game is not being telecast in HD tonight that they just had some wide screen setting set on it. However they did it, I liked how it looked. It didn't look stretched out to me at all. So when I got home I got my owner's instruction book out for my TV and played with the TV menu and found a function for "Wide Fit" in the picture settings. However, it's greyed out?? It won't let me select it.

Any help anyone? Thanks.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Most widescreen sets have some sort of adjustment features available when viewing 4:3 content. (I happen to be partial to "Wide Zoom" on my Sony tube HDTV.)

Generally speaking, when an option is greyed out, it's unavailable for whatever content is currently being displayed. Stupid question: what channel were you watching when trying to set up "Wide Fit?"

I was watching the Brewer Game. That's why it was vexing to me when I saw the Brewer Game at Chilis filling up the whole screen. (I came home, turned on the game and tried to see if I could figure out the setting. My picture size has 6 settings: 16:9, Zoom1, Zoom2, Wide Fit, 4:3, and Just Screen. Wide Fit and Just Screen are greyed out and not selectable.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I have Cable and I don't know that I understand your other question. It appears that if a program is on an HD channel (in the 500's on Time Warner), I can get "Wide Fit" to work if it's not an HD broadcast (i.e. the local news). However the FSN HD channel on Time Warner cable just shows color bars if the game is not telecast in HD (unlike the other channels that will still show the program in it's non-HD format). So, I'm guessing that the sattlite companies don't operate the same way and that Chilis is getting its signal through Dish or Direct TV.

You need to set your cable box to output 16:9 and what connection are you using (HDMI, Component RGB)? I need more info to really help you. Also you will not be able to change the view on 531 for a Brewers game that's being simulcast on the HD channel as a SD signal. Just make sure your cable box is set correctly and your non-HD content should automatically scale to fill your screen.

I have Cable and I don't know that I understand your other question. It appears that if a program is on an HD channel (in the 500's on Time Warner), I can get "Wide Fit" to work if it's not an HD broadcast (i.e. the local news). However the FSN HD channel on Time Warner cable just shows color bars if the game is not telecast in HD (unlike the other channels that will still show the program in it's non-HD format). So, I'm guessing that the sattlite companies don't operate the same way and that Chilis is getting its signal through Dish or Direct TV.

I'm going to assume you have it hooked up through component cables (three plugins for video). Most TVs can't do much but just display what signal they get through components. You can however allow your cable box to fill the screen.Hit the settings button on your remote and scroll over to display settings. You can choose a stretch setting and that will fill your screen no matter what channel you're on. Keep in mind all its doing is taking the 4:3 picture and stretching it out to 16:9.

To get your wide zoom to work you could hookup the coaxial directly to your TV after splitting the incoming wire. This will give you all non digital channels and most likely the HD channels but not digital channels (100-500 wouldn't work). You can then change input type if you wish. Why do this? Time Warner's picture stretching isn't as good as most TV turner's.

And yes when not broadcasting in HD 531 is just bars.

EDIT:Also make sure you cable box is set for a 16:9 display.

Archived