Brewer Fanatic

Sheets leaves game with right tricep "tightness"; Latest - "is a go" to start 4/29 start vs. Cubs

And That
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Brewers were lying and they didnt believe Sheets would be ok to pitch Tuesday they would have sent Parra down so Bush could be ready to fill in if needed.
I was referring to Ben being 100% - not his ability to pitch on Tuesday. Yost said they were playing cautious with Ben, and he wouldn't pitch until this "injury" was past.

Somehow, I suspect this isn't the last we've heard from Ben's "tightness"....

I'm really worried that "tightness" means 'something that could be very, very serious, but we're not yet sure. We're going to trust Sheets in telling us he can pitch, but it could get worse.'

I really, really hope that nothing 'pops' in there tomorrow. Rotator cuff... not fun. If this really were as simple as some muscle 'stiffness', shouldn't simple stretching be enough to get Ben comfortable? That's an honest question. I do not want to see Sheets make every 3rd or 4th start with limited effectiveness. Guess I'd rather have that than no Sheets, though.

EDIT: Any word yet on Sheets? His velocity was right around what he threw in Cincy, and the BBs are obviously a concern.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Giving this a bump, and the post from Rotoworld. It's been suspiciously quiet on the Sheets front -- last night's outing really, really worries me.

Despite allowing four runs -- three earned -- and walking seven batters in five innings Tuesday night, Ben Sheets was the winning pitcher as the Brewers beat the Cubs 10-7.

It was far from a great outing for Sheets. His lack of control was a major concern; he missed his last start due to triceps tightness and had walked only four batters in 28 innings prior to tonight's game. Nevertheless, he improved to 4-0 as the Brewers' offense had a huge game. Four players had three-hit nights, including Mike Cameron, who was making his Milwaukee debut.

Nothing from the post-game interviews?

His quote in the paper said "'I think I'm going to feel all right (today),' said Sheets, who allowed three hits and four runs (three earned) while logging only two strikeouts. 'I ain't saying I'm in the clear but I think I'll be OK.'" I haven't heard an update yet today, however, and am very interested to find out if his triceps was tight this morning - I'm hoping not.

Maybe the FSN gun had Sheets higher, but the Comcast radar had him topping 90 maybe two or three times. Unless there's some other information, I can't agree that Ben's velocity looked fine.

His CB was great, though.

Maybe the FSN gun had Sheets higher, but the Comcast radar had him topping 90 maybe two or three times. Unless there's some other information, I can't agree that Ben's velocity looked fine.

Poor control and poor velocity raises a little bit of a red flag as far as the injury is concerned. Hopefully just a bad combination of rust, and cold weather, but I will be eagerly awaiting his next start to see what happens.

I was actually encouraged--not by the performance, but by the fact that he reached 100 pitches and didn't wince or need to be taken out early. He said he felt alright after the game. It seems like every few games his velocity is a bit down, anyway. I'm willing to contribute the control issues to not pitching in 10 days.

It could have been worse, right? I guess I am encouraged that (as of this writing) his arm seems ok. The wildness did seem a little weird, though. I understand "rust," etc., but it's not like he missed two months between starts.

It was 37 degrees during that game. He had trouble gripping the ball because of the cold. He was blowing into his hand constantly. Marquis had that problem to a degree as well. Also had a "teacup" strike zone to deal with. His curve was not only fooling the hitter, it was fooling the umpire who easily missed 3 strikes on that pitch alone. Plus he couldn't get a high strike on his fastball all night. The belly button was the top of the zone.

All that being said, I think having a little wildness actually helps Sheets. Now you don't want him walking 7 in 5 innings, but Sheets sometimes gets in such a groove that hitters get a little too comfortable up there. Last night, they weren't quite sure where the ball was going.

The gun readings on Chicago telecast were slow. Mota was throwing hard, and recording 91-92 on most of his fastballs.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yeah, I think I'd need to see another start or two before getting worried. My guess is he bounces back to form.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Last night, they weren't quite sure where the ball was going.

But... they seemed to do just fine. Not sure how wildness or BBing guys helps a pitcher at all. The kind of unpredictability I think best helps is in changing velocities, arm angles, & pitch types.

The gun readings on Chicago telecast were slow. Mota was throwing hard, and recording 91-92 on most of his fastballs

Thanks to JBriggs & others that weighed in on this. That is very encouraging, but I remain extremely guardedly optimistic.

His start was pretty much what I expected. Bill and Brian said his velocity was fine, down just a little bit and obviously the curveball was nasty. He didn't have control but he had been sitting for over a week. 7 walks is a little much but as others have said that strike zone was very tight especially up high and on the corner towards 1B. It was really cold last night. There is no reason to think that didn't play into his velocity being down slightly and his control being a little off, especially when coupled with the ugly strike zone

I am pretty optimistic, his curveball looked good, has fastball velocity was so-so but he had no idea where it was going. That could be chalked up to rust and his fingers might have been a little numb from the cold. I think the Houston start will be more telling. He seemed in pretty good spirits during the post game interview. Sure he couldn't locate at all, but atleast he was missing out of the zone and not over the plate, he only gave up 3 hits. All things considered, he had a pretty good outings. I figure his W in this game makes up for the ND he got on opening day.

Archived