Brewer Fanatic

Sheets leaves game with right tricep "tightness"; Latest - "is a go" to start 4/29 start vs. Cubs

And That
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But the Brewers said his last skipped start was only a precautionary measure!

The handling of this situation is so typical of the Brewers and Ben Sheets. "It's nothing to worry about" always transforms into the obligatory DL visit. You just have to figure any starts we get from Ben this year are gravy - I mean, did anyone really expect him to be healthy all year?

Even more, he will get on the media for asking him. He'll come up with an answer "it's not like I'm being a baby or I don't want to pitch." Something to that effect.

Look at your tag line. You think that makes you objective?

Yeah, I put that on there as soon as he was pulled from his last start. Why? Because it's such an easy call. Have I been wrong so far? This isn't new.

I didn't say you were wrong. I said you weren't objective. Those are different things.

I didn't say you were wrong. I said you weren't objective. Those are different things.

Really? Thanks. I'm not basing my stance on Sheets on anything other than FACTS. That's being objective. I don't hate Ben Sheets. I hate the fact that he has gone down every season for the last four seasons. That's not a prejudice, that's a fact. Being objective and optimistic are two different things as well.

Really? Thanks. I'm not basing my stance on Sheets on anything other than FACTS. That's being objective. I don't hate Ben Sheets. I hate the fact that he has gone down every season for the last four seasons. That's not a prejudice, that's a fact. Being objective and optimistic are two different things as well.

Look at how you are posting, and think back to you telling me to chill. All I said was that you weren't objective. You care so much about this that you choose to make it your tag line. That's not objective. Why is that offensive to you? Why are you defensive about Sheets? Why would you think that I think that you hate Ben Sheets? It's clear that you are frustrated about Sheets being hurt. Every Brewer fan is.

I told you to chill because I wasn't necessary singling you out. I was responding to your post, but I didn't mean that you called me a 'meanie' I was bringing it up before anyone else did. My tagline is there because again, it's such an easy call. It's depressing how correct it has been so far, and probably will end up being. I know all fans are frustrated. The point is, that Sheets can't be counted on, and pretty much shouldn't have been before the latest injury.

Thirdly, I didn't call you a meanie. I just think you have no objective thought around this, whether it be due to jealousy, frustration, whatever.

This is what I responded with "chill" for.

" told you to chill because I wasn't necessary singling you out."

I still don't understand what you are saying.

"It went well," said Sheets, who is 3-0 with a 0.96 ERA in four starts over 28 innings this season.

Asked if he would pitch against the Cubs, he said, "We'll see, but it felt good."

Great news. It would be great to throw both Sheets and Yo at the Cubs this upcoming series.

Just some things to consider on Sheets. 3/2/2007: The DL Informer contacts Nostradamus on Sheets:

"Clinical Impression: I wouldn't draft Sheets as my #1 SP this year because I am sure that he will end up around the 20-25 start mark, if not less, this year. That being said, do not hesitate to grab him as your #2/#3 SP. His low back should be fine, as normal activities can usually be resumed at around 6 weeks post-op. My main concern is his shoulder, and I fear that this may be the year of the dreaded "rotator cuff tear." I hope I'm wrong, because the guy is a great talent"

Yes, this was a season earlier... but I found it interesting that a clinical analysis without even examining Sheets indicated rotator cuff concerns. Maybe I'm just such a non-expert in the medical field that this surprises me.

Here's a list of players that I expect would sign multi-year deals that are near league average or better this offseason: Oliver Perez, CC Sabathia, Randy Wolf, AJ Burnett, Jon Garland, John Lackey, Derek Lowe, Brad Penny, Ben Sheets.

This is from the Fielder-Braun contract thread, by kramnoj. I think it puts Sheets's value in perspective. If I were in his position, I'd probably elect to miss as many starts as I needed to ensure I could get in at least 5-10 appearances down the stretch of the season to audtition for a new contract. That's a crappy thought, but with the money to be made, I think that's what I'd do.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Sure does sound more like he will make the start now then a few days ago. Still not 100% convinced though. I really hope he does, to get Cameron in the lineup for the first time all year and have Sheets start the 1st game of a series in Chicago seem big to me.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

To clarify, I was half-joking, if that makes sense. Basically what I meant is that the Brewers have no reason to "baby" Sheets like they maybe have in the past...I'm not saying they should literally "shred his arm", but they may as well get what they can out of him. It's not like they have reason to keep him healthy for next season.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

To clarify, I was half-joking, if that makes sense. Basically what I meant is that the Brewers have no reason to "baby" Sheets like they maybe have in the past...I'm not saying they should literally "shred his arm", but they may as well get what they can out of him. It's not like they have reason to keep him healthy for next season.

Nobody thinks that the Brewers should baby Sheets so that he can sign a big contract with another team next season. I think they should keep Sheets healthy so that he will be available to the Brewers later this season.

Judging by the fact that Bush has been optioned to AAA...Sheets is obviously pitching Tuesday.

And since Ned said that Sheets wouldn't pitch until this injury was done (Like done, done....done), that must mean Sheets is 100%

The Brewers would never lie.

I guess the question now become if sheets does pitch against the cubs do you limit his pitch count or innings?

Sheets threw over 110 pitches in the two starts before his injury. I think it's irresponsible to be running him out there that long, and the extended outings almost certainly contributed to his arm soreness. I'd prefer that they not let him go over about 105.

Archived