Brewer Fanatic

Sheets leaves game with right tricep "tightness"; Latest - "is a go" to start 4/29 start vs. Cubs

And That
Sheets isn't making much of a case to rid himself of the "injury-prone" label, regardless of the unpredictability and strangeness of his injuries.

Totally agree. This is the second injury for Ben that really has concerned me (first being the latissumus dorsi... which is probably related to this), and this time I'm more worried. The possibility of rotator cuff trouble and/or muscle interaction with the rotator cuff/shoulder... this time it isn't some fluky thing, now it's his throwing arm/shoulder. Not good.

Precisely. This isn't vestibular neuritis (or whatever the inner-ear thing is called). And it's April, still, so it has the potential to loom over the entire season, more or less.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is what is being reported by the Journal Sentinel. Just put in him on the DL retro to last weekend so we can open up another spot for a bench player so we can have more than 2 PH in the game. I bet when Cameron comes back Sheets ends up on the DL. Wouldn't that have been a waste for this last week of having 14 pitchers for no reason.

Oh, here we go. Whoever posted that thing in the Sheets injury thread about how Sheets' injuries typically go, and how the Brewers deal with it, was right on. It's like a kick in the groin that you see coming from a mile away, but can do nothing to avoid.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm already geared up for a Sheetsless rest of 2008. What a tease he has been for the last 4 years. Wonder who takes the $15 million one year flier on him next year.

Hey mods, is there anyway I can change my yukuname without creating another profile?

Frankly I think this babying approach just compounds his problem. Somehow I doubt old timers like Spahn and Burdette would shut it down over a little tightness.

Ben, it's time to man up.

It's true that old timers didn't do that. Old timers pitched until they couldn't pitch anymore. That was also a lot easier to do when shortstops didn't hit 30+ HR a year. Is it your preference that Sheets pitches until he has no ability to do so?

But the Brewers said his last skipped start was only a precautionary measure!

The handling of this situation is so typical of the Brewers and Ben Sheets. "It's nothing to worry about" always transforms into the obligatory DL visit. You just have to figure any starts we get from Ben this year are gravy - I mean, did anyone really expect him to be healthy all year?

The handling of this situation is so typical of the Brewers and Ben Sheets. "It's nothing to worry about" always transforms into the obligatory DL visit. You just have to figure any starts we get from Ben this year are gravy - I mean, did anyone really expect him to be healthy all year?

At this point, I think I will be satisfied if he makes 25 starts this season.

"The Brewers use up whatever is left of him (which they are paying for anyway), and then he is gone at the end of the year, and another team can sign him if they wish as a reclamation project"

So your preference is that Sheets ignores his pain and shreds a muscle rather than wait for him to get back to 100% and actually pitch healthy? How is that close to logical?

So your preference is that Sheets ignores his pain and shreds a muscle rather than wait for him to get back to 100% and actually pitch healthy? How is that close to logical?

Come on man, he's obviously not totally serious when suggesting that. No, the actual situation will play out something like DL stint coming up, he'll be back sometime in early June, and then sometime in July or so, he'll go on the DL again. I wouldn't bet $5 he can be counted on in August and September.

Ben, it's time to man up.

That's just a silly thing to say. Do you really expect a guy with a chance at signing for millions & millions of dollars to go out & shred his shoulder? Unbelievable.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I actually did expect him to be healthy all season. It's a contract year and I thought he would finally get over his bad luck. Guess not. But yeah if he makes 25 starts I would be quite happy. I am rather disgusted with the way the Brewers have handled every single one of his injuries though. Just be honest instead of sugar coating it getting all our hopes up.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Come on man, he's obviously not totally serious when suggesting that. No, the actual situation will play out something like DL stint coming up, he'll be back sometime in early June, and then sometime in July or so, he'll go on the DL again. I wouldn't bet $5 he can be counted on in August and September.

So you're saying he's partially serious? It still doesn't make any sense. I understand the frustration of a fan, but the idea that Sheets should be treated like a Kleenex is absurd.

The point he's trying to make is, as Brewers fans, we shouldn't give a hoot about Sheets after this year. Because quite frankly, he hasn't been able to earn the money the Brewers have paid him, even if he's really good when available. He's just not available even close to enough, and he's not coming back after this season. So, as fans of the Brewers, we should at least get a playoff run that INCLUDES Sheets in the rotation. That's not going to happen obviously if he's hurt whatsoever. But like I said, I don't care one bit about Sheets after this year. And don't play the 'I'm a meanie' game, he's a multi millionaire...paid by the Brewers. He's been a tease, without sounding too repetitive.

I'm beginning to think that Sheets hurts a small-mid market team more than he helps it. It is indisputable that Sheets, when healthy, is among the best in the game. As a result, a team has to make him their ace and pay him accordingly. However, it is also becoming clear that Sheets is unlucky/injury-prone/a wuss (take your pick) and cannot possibly pitch 200 innings a year. This hurts a team like the Brewers in two ways 1. monetarily - they do not have the money that could be used to obtain another #2 (I'm assuming Gallardo becomes #1) or to bring in a better #4 and #5 and (2) strategically - the team is trying to just "get by" until its ace is better - (e.g., carrying fourteen pitchers).

I would love for Sheets to make me eat my words, but right now I don't understand how you can argue with the fact that Sheets cannot be your #1 pitcher because he is so unreliable. Maybe he works as a number 1A pitcher on a large-market team that has the money to pay, but I'm beginning to think it hurts the Brewers. I am open to contrary opinions.

I would love for Sheets to make me eat my words, but right now I don't understand how you can argue with the fact that Sheets cannot be your #1 pitcher because he is so unreliable.

Exactly. He does hurt the Brewers, at least as much as he helps them and has for the last couple years. And before people start crying about how Sheets is great and we shouldn't say anything negative about him, read the first part of the highlighted post above. I'm sure everyone that posts on this board would love for Sheets to come back this year and be great up to and including the playoffs. I'm just past the point of expecting that. I expect he won't be around when it matters most.

The point he's trying to make is, as Brewers fans, we shouldn't give a hoot about Sheets after this year. Because quite frankly, he hasn't been able to earn the money the Brewers have paid him, even if he's really good when available. He's just not available even close to enough, and he's not coming back after this season. So, as fans of the Brewers, we should at least get a playoff run that INCLUDES Sheets in the rotation. That's not going to happen obviously if he's hurt whatsoever. But like I said, I don't care one bit about Sheets after this year. And don't play the 'I'm a meanie' game, he's a multi millionaire...paid by the Brewers. He's been a tease, without sounding too repetitive.

I think you should let him make his point. So far, he has been pretty clear. He said pitch him till he's gone. He didn't qualify it. So we should pitch him next start, and if that's the last start he ever pitches, than Invader will be happy.

Secondly, why would you think that I'm talking about next year? I'm not. I'd much rather have Sheets get healthy and come back later this year, so that if this team makes the playoffs, he's a part of it. Pitching him till he's gone isn't going to help this team in October.

Thirdly, I didn't call you a meanie. I just think you have no objective thought around this, whether it be due to jealousy, frustration, whatever.

You need to chill. No objective thought? Dude, this isn't a new scenario. I was saying the same thing LAST year. I was proposing the Brewers trade Sheets all off season. He's just not available. Being great means nothing, when you aren't even able to go half the time...especially on a team like the Brewers where he pretty much is the key to success, or at least the most important part of the pitching staff. I'm not really all that frustrated about it...because I'm not surprised.

EDIT: I take that back, sure I'm frustrated. But I'm still not surprised. And I think they could have probably cashed him in for something of value a few months ago. Again, I hope he makes me eat my words.

Archived