Brewer Fanatic

Sheets leaves game with right tricep "tightness"; Latest - "is a go" to start 4/29 start vs. Cubs

And That
Sheets next start (29th) also happens to be the day when Cameron is elligible to play. So it seems that they will limp through the next week and then have a bunch of choices to make next Tuesday (Cameron, Gwynn, Dillion, 2 pitchers)

add cameron and gwynn, move turnbow and gross.

until then, this 14 man staff may cost us another game or two, just like it did last night. pretty dumb. retro sheets back on the DL and get on with the season.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In every interview I have ever heard he flat out says that he won't pitch until he's 100 percent.

This was in the back of my head too - though it doesn't jibe with his pitching at all vs. the Reds on Friday, if he was already sore then.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Yeah, I'm not sure what else people expect Yost to say. Let's say Sheets is really hurt, and Yost knows it...is he just going to come right out and say "He's going to probably miss several starts?" No, I doubt it.

How about saying nothing?!?! It works, and it doesn't backfire. Ned just likes to talk, so then we end up with his worst case scenario, which is borderline useless.

You really think that Ned could get away with saying nothing about his injured ace pitcher? And on top of that... what does it matter if it backfires and what exactly happens if/when it does backfire? Are people going to change their mind about the injury-proneness of Sheets or their feelings of Ned as a manager if he gets this right or wrong?

In every interview I have ever heard he flat out says that he won't pitch until he's 100 percent.

He must not have thought a sore tricep would hinder his performance, hence he was still pitching at 100% despite a minor injury. I think that's what he's talking about when he makes that comment.

I would say that Ben Sheets is far from a gamer. In every interview I have ever heard he flat out says that he won't pitch until he's 100 percent.

Recall that he put up Cy Young-caliber numbers in 2004 while pitching the majority of the season with a herniated disc. Sounds pretty gamer to me.

I would say that Ben Sheets is far from a gamer. In every interview I have ever heard he flat out says that he won't pitch until he's 100 percent.

It is much, much harder to pitch when you are injured than it is to play the field and hit. If it's your throwing arm that is hurt, you will not be as effective, and with the repeated stressful movement, you run a greater risk of making it worse. If it's an injury to a leg, you still may be able to throw, but your power and/or mechanics will be probably be affected. Not only will this also reduce effectiveness, but it is very possible that you would overcompensate in some other way, creating more injury problems. If it's a back problem, good luck trying to pitch.

I'm not sure what a "gamer" is, but I do know that a pitcher who throws when he is injured usually hurts his team's chances of winning and puts his future appearances in further jeopardy.

Re: the "gamer" issue, I guess it depends on the injury. If you're feeling like 75% because of the flu, then I think you have to run your rear end out there and try to gut it out. But if you're feeling like 75% because of a twinge in your elbow, well . . . maybe it's a good idea to back off. (Discretion is the better part of valor, etc.)

Did anyone catch this note in the paper this morning:

"Ben Sheets said there was some uncertainty about how his right triceps will feel by his next start after a couple days of playing long toss. The soreness in the area forced him out of his last start in Cincinnati and made him miss Wednesday's scheduled start against the Phillies. Sheets said he could "crank it up" if he wanted, but that there wasn't much point in testing things when he isn't scheduled to pitch until Tuesday."

This, along with the fact that the team is still carrying 14 pitchers even though Bush has already pitched for Sheets, indicates to me that no one has any idea whether or not Sheets will be able to go on Tuesday. I understand Sheets' importance to the team, but if keeping him off the DL (retroactively) causes us to lose a game because we don't have enough bench players, I start to wonder about the logic of not making a roster move.

I understand Sheets' importance to the team, but if keeping him off the DL (retroactively) causes us to lose a game because we don't have enough bench players, I start to wonder about the logic of not making a roster move.

I think if Sheets misses 2 starts it was a bad move not to DL him.

I understand Sheets' importance to the team, but if keeping him off the DL (retroactively) causes us to lose a game because we don't have enough bench players, I start to wonder about the logic of not making a roster move.

I think if Sheets misses 2 starts it was a bad move not to DL him.

I would agree, missing two starts and not DL'ing him would be a mistake.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

If he misses another start, it's really going to frustrate me - not just because he'd miss it against the Cubs, but because he could have been put on the DL 9 days ago, and the current roster issue that the team is handcuffing themselves with would have been avoided (at least carrying 14 active pitchers, and essentially playing every game with only 2 viable bench players aside from the 2nd catcher.)

Melvin seems to DL people retroactively way too much - I'd rather the team keep it's roster flexibility and DL someone as an extra precaution this early in the season than what they've been up to with the injuries to Gwynn, Kapler, and Sheets so far this year.

I'm even more frustrated about the inability to determine Ben's "injury." I may be displaying my ingnorance, but you would think that they could perform an MRI that would indicate if it's a slight strain, scar tissue from his previous lat. injury or something more serious. Otherwise, it just sounds like a pitcher with a sore arm (Gee, I bet there aren't many pitchers that have sore arms from time to time). I agree with taking extra precautions, but Sheets isn't making much of a case to rid himself of the "injury-prone" label, regardless of the unpredictability and strangeness of his injuries.

Sheets isn't making much of a case to rid himself of the "injury-prone" label, regardless of the unpredictability and strangeness of his injuries.

Totally agree. This is the second injury for Ben that really has concerned me (first being the latissumus dorsi... which is probably related to this), and this time I'm more worried. The possibility of rotator cuff trouble and/or muscle interaction with the rotator cuff/shoulder... this time it isn't some fluky thing, now it's his throwing arm/shoulder. Not good.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

in my video game that i'm currently playing. Sheets is having an amazing year, but got hurt and is now on the DL....
I love MVP 05'. Sheets is freaking amazing in that game. That is funny Weeks is currently hurt in my season as well, and Hart was hurt before him. Neither serious enough to DL though.

(edit: removed picture from quote --1992)

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

It's tough to DL him when they can get perfect information on what's going on with him. If there is a chance he makes that start next Monday, there is no way you DL him, even knowing he misses a start. Sheets is as guaranteed of a quality start as there is in baseball right now. Certainly more than our 5th or 6th best starters. I understand the frustration, and I'm sure it's shared by the Brewer's management.

Archived