Brewer Fanatic

Sheets leaves game with right tricep "tightness"; Latest - "is a go" to start 4/29 start vs. Cubs

And That

100 pitches certainly isn't that high of a number. In fact, it's pretty standard.

He threw 109 and 116 pitches in his 2nd and 3rd start of the season. I don't think that's very typical nor a good idea.

I think it matters more how stressful those pitches are, and I don't think Sheets have been.

If I had to guess (and that's all it really is), I'd say that his start against the Mets ended with some pretty "stressful pitches". First of all, overall, his velocity was down in his third start compared to his first two starts (he only averaged 91.2 MPH, compared to 92.4 and 94.5). But look at how his velocities finished up during that third start:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/rluzinski/fastball_vel_0412.jpg
It seems to me that Sheets started to fatigue around 6th or 7th, as you would expect. But after he gave up that HR to Wright in the 8th, it looks like he tried to reach back to get a little extra against the next batter, Beltran. 5 of the 7 pitches he threw to him that AB (which ended in a walk) were fastballs and the last fastball almost matched his high for the game. I'm probably looking into this too much but don't forget that Sheets reported first feeling discomfort during this game. I guess I don't want any starting pitcher to give a 105% in an April start.

The pitch counts themselves probably had little or nothing to do with the injury. I still don't think it was a good idea, however.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pitchers are built to pitch between 100-120 pitches every 5th day. You can disagree with it, but don't single out Yost. Other managers are doing it with young pitchers with injury pasts all over the place.

Felix Hernandez first 4 starts: 97,97, 117, 115

Adam Wainwright first 3 starts: 107, 93, 115

Aaron Harang first 4 starts: 99, 108, 99, 110

Carlos Zambrano first 4 starts: 89, 106, 107, 102

Cole Hamels first 4 starts: 103, 103, 111, 102

Johan Santana first 4 starts: 100, 91, 113, 105

Brandon Webb first 4 starts: 90, 98, 104, 104

Jake Peavy first 4 starts: 107, 116, 101, 113

Ben Sheets first 4 starts: 99, 109, 116, 60*

Daisuke Matsuzake first 4 starts: 96,96, 108, 117, 101

Other managers are doing it with young pitchers with injury pasts all over the place.

Provided that you weren't cherry picking the starters, that certainly seems to suggest that it's pretty typical. I still don't like it! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm surprised that no one mentioned this here:

"At worst, he [sheets] might miss a start," manager Ned Yost said. "In the least, it will be to back him up a day or two."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=741552

For now, that's fine info from Yost. However, what I find concerning is that soreness can go away... but if what the soreness was indicating is the start of something more serious in the shoulder/rotator cuff? Then pitching him after the soreness goes away could be a horrible idea, obviously.

Is it just assumed that the Brewers have done an MRI or whatever is necessary to investigate further/serious concerns on the shoulder/area?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Is it just assumed that the Brewers have done an MRI or whatever is necessary to investigate further/serious concerns on the shoulder/area?

That's the assumption I'm making. It is Sheets, I think the Brewers are going to check every possible cause of soreness ever imagined.

Decent retort, but I reply with this... How does Ned know what the worst case scenario is with Sheets' latest injury? He is setting himself up again. If the injury is more serious then he thinks it is, all of a sudden the worst case is the best case and he looks dumb, again.

Decent retort, but I reply with this... How does Ned know what the worst case scenario is with Sheets' latest injury? He is setting himself up again. If the injury is more serious then he thinks it is, all of a sudden the worst case is the best case and he looks dumb, again.

I don't know about how dumb he'll look. Every manager who ever managed said something that turned out to be either inaccurate or a flat out lie about injuries one time or another. I never believe what a manager says about an injury unless it's conclusive like Cappy being diganosed with a torn ligament type thing. I'd rather prefer a manager/GM to be coy about injureis rather than have every team out there knowing exaclty the status of players and their short term future. There is no % in it for the team to let other teams know precisely what's going on. Yet a manager has to mention something to the press about injuries so they tend to be vague or deceptive.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I would think he's just going off of whatever the doctors, trainers, and maybe even Sheets himself, are telling him.

I'm sure he's only relaying whatever he's been told by those guys, to the reporters.

I would guess every manager probably does it this way.

I would think he's just going off of whatever the doctors, trainers, and maybe even Sheets himself, are telling him.

I'm sure he's only relaying whatever he's been told by those guys, to the reporters.

I would guess every manager probably does it this way.

Yost always goes off of a 2 foot tall half man-half pig creature that lives beneath the home dugout. It is one explanation as to why our road record has been so lousy. The pig man doesnt travel with the team.

This is true, I have seen him.

A better sign that a pitcher is injured (rather than just a little sore) is loss of command. Most pitchers have some soreness during the season and pitch right through it. He showed great command in his last 2 starts. Given his history and the time of the year, the Brewers are being cautious and no doubt Sheets is a little paranoid too. Anybody else, I doubt he even comes out of that game early.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If I remember correctly, didn't he say it was really bad pitching to Arroyo in the 3rd inning and then more or less went away after that? Maybe it's just old scar tissue breaking up.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

How does Ned know what the worst case scenario is with Sheets' latest injury? He is setting himself up again. If the injury is more serious then he thinks it is, all of a sudden the worst case is the best case and he looks dumb, again.

It's pretty clear that he's making an educated guess based on the information he currently has. I don't know what else you expect him to do.

Of course, for any injury and any player, he could say, "Worst case scenario, he never pitches again" and I guess that it would technically be true. I'm sure bf.net would take that well. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Maybe later in the week when TGJ is ready to come back, they'll know if Sheets can go versus the Cubs or he's a retroactive DL. They'll also have a better picture from Parra or Bush if they deserve the fifth starter spot. I guess we're a week away from Cameron too. Interesting week coming up.

Sheets reminds me of Molitor. We need him so bad to win, but it's all these nagging injuries he just can't shake. Of course as soon as he goes somewhere else, he'll win a Cy Young. Sure can't fault his effort...the guy is a gamer.

So far my new sig is right on!

I doubt they broach the subject on Thursday though, like I originally thought. And I'd like to change my DL trip date to Monday 4/28, after they announce, he won't make his scheduled start again...but I guess it could still end up like I thought it would originally.

Sheets next start (29th) also happens to be the day when Cameron is elligible to play. So it seems that they will limp through the next week and then have a bunch of choices to make next Tuesday (Cameron, Gwynn, Dillion, 2 pitchers)

Yeah, I'm not sure what else people expect Yost to say. Let's say Sheets is really hurt, and Yost knows it...is he just going to come right out and say "He's going to probably miss several starts?" No, I doubt it.

How about saying nothing?!?! It works, and it doesn't backfire. Ned just likes to talk, so then we end up with his worst case scenario, which is borderline useless.

Archived