Brewer Fanatic

Sheets leaves game with right tricep "tightness"; Latest - "is a go" to start 4/29 start vs. Cubs

And That
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not saying that there wasn't some soreness from his last start. I'm saying that when he was pulled, I think it was because it was something worse than what he was feeling. He threw like four or five straight change ups at the end of his last inning. That doesn't jive with it hurting more in the 3rd than the 4th and 5th.
And I'm not sure yet that one of those 84-85 mph pitches at the end there wasn't actually a fastball.

I went back and looked at it. The last pitch that he threw in the inning to get the strikeout was a fastball that registered at 86. The announcers were talking about him throwing the 3 or 4 change-ups in a row, so the FSN camera angle was showing the signs that Kendall was putting down. The second to last pitch he called for a change-up and the last pitch he called for a fastball.

I'm not saying that there wasn't some soreness from his last start. I'm saying that when he was pulled, I think it was because it was something worse than what he was feeling. He threw like four or five straight change ups at the end of his last inning. That doesn't jive with it hurting more in the 3rd than the 4th and 5th.

Change-ups put just as much strain, if not more on your arm as fastballs do. Especially the circle change variety that Sheets throws

Well Nedly said they never planned for him to pitch more than 6 innings yesterday. So maybe it was some kind of feeler game to see how his arm would hold up. Considering he made it through 5 innings pitching pretty darn good I hopeing that just took him out because his spot was due up and we had a fairly comfortable cushion.

I think by Monday well know one way or the other, its always possible they are covering something worse up. But Ben certainly didn't look like anything was seriously wrong after he come out of the game. We can all tell when something is wrong because he is not a happy dude when something happens. He seemed to be enjoying himself after he came out

I'm very worried and concerned, but I will try to be calm and wait till we have an official word on his next start and if he will or won't go on the DL. But this does indeed suck, I just don't understand why since 2004 he has not been able to avoid some kind of injury no matter how little or serious. I still love Sheets, he's so good but just can't stay healthy. Damn I'm sad.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Jim just said that Sheets is feeling better today and that he may not have to miss a start. And something about more information on his blog at SportsBubbler.

Unfortunately we've been through this same song and dance before:

1. Sheeter is feeling much better today and may not miss a start.

2. Sheets misses next start as a "precautionary move."

3. Sheets feels some sorness during usual warmups.

4. Sheets to 15-day DL retroactive to 8 days ago.

5. Sheets to make minor league rehab start in early June.

6. Sheets makes three above average starts with the Brewers in June.

7. Sheets comes down with strange illness (ebola, polio, smallpox) and misses rest of the season.

Sorry to sound so pessemistic but I'm expecting the worst until I see otherwise.

I'm not being optimistic or pessimistic. We simply don't have enough information to know what's going to happen. The Brewers have been misleading about certain injuries in the past, so I'm not going to hang on their every word. I could stress out about a worst case scenario but but I don't see the point. I'm just in a wait and see mode.

rluzinski wrote:

Maybe Yost won.t have Sheets throw so many pitches in back to back starts, again.

I don't know why a pitcher should be throwing 100+ pitches in April. I think Yost said something about an extra day rest.

Totally agree. 100+ pitches on starts 2 and 3 just does not seem smart to me

I would be very surprised if Sheets is not on the DL by the end of the month. Since when has any of Sheets many problems ever gone away? They always escalate.

That's exactly what worries me so much. My brain says it's nothing, and he'll be fine. My heart knows better, and is fearing for the worst.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

That's exactly what worries me so much. My brain says it's nothing, and he'll be fine. My heart knows better, and is fearing for the worst.

See, I'm just the exact opposite. My heart says it's nothing, but my brain is fearing the worst.

Whoa, did the DL Informer really use the words "rotator cuff"?

While this could simply be a strain of the triceps, it would not surprise me at all if this was a rotator cuff issue instead.

This reminds me of a time my Doctor told me, "Well, Joel, it's likely indigestion...but it could be colon cancer."

Not sure if this means anything, but earlier today I checked the probable pitchers on the Brewers website. At that time, Sheets spot in the rotation was "to be announced", and now his name is there for Wednesday.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I'm still trying to be as optimistic as I can, but I still can't shake wondering how in the world for the 4th year in a row Sheets gets some kind of injury. I mean lots of pitchers go seasons without ever being injured. Does he not warm up enough? Warm up to much? Does the traning staff have anything to do with this? I just wish there were some answers.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Whoa, did the DL Informer really use the words "rotator cuff"?
While this could simply be a strain of the triceps, it would not surprise me at all if this was a rotator cuff issue instead.

This reminds me of a time my Doctor told me, "Well, Joel, it's likely indigestion...but it could be colon cancer."

I know it's all in good fun, but he actually provides a nice follow-up, as opposed to leaving it at some random speculation:

"Sheets will likely be evaluated and an MRI should be taken shortly. While this could simply be a strain of the triceps, it would not surprise me at all if this was a rotator cuff issue instead. The reason being, the triceps crosses part of the rotator cuff in the posterior aspect of the shoulder in what is called the

"Quadrangular Space."

The inner (long head) aspect of the triceps actually crosses over one of the rotator cuff muscles (teres major), and passes underneath another rotator cuff muscle - the teres minor. In between this intersection lies the axillary nerve, which, when compressed, can offer symptoms mimicking "stiffness" or "numbness" in the area of the triceps and posterior-lateral shoulder.

In my clinical experience, I have seen very few baseball pitchers present with a pure, isolated "triceps strain" - rather, there is almost always an involvement of these rotator cuff muscles. A strained triceps certainly sounds better to the press than does a rotator cuff injury!

If a DL stint is required, expect it to last the minimum 2 weeks, followed by a rehab start or two."

Hardly just a worst-case scenario projection. I know Ben mentioned he was concerned, since the area in which he felt the soreness was near the latissimus dorsi muscle he tore on the back of his shoulder. From reading Chris's writeup on how the triceps 'underlaps' the rotator cuff, it sounds plausible that there could be something bigger here. However, I agree with the 'wait-&-see' approach.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

rluzinski wrote:

Maybe Yost won.t have Sheets throw so many pitches in back to back starts, again.

I don't know why a pitcher should be throwing 100+ pitches in April. I think Yost said something about an extra day rest.

Totally agree. 100+ pitches on starts 2 and 3 just does not seem smart to me

100 pitches certainly isn't that high of a number. In fact, it's pretty standard.

To say that a pitcher shouldn't be throwing 100 pitches at all in April? I think in that case we're taking things way too far, and you're probably not doing all that much to limit injuries with such a small variation. I mean, what, is 90 pitches alright, but 100 too much?

I think it matters more how stressful those pitches are, and I don't think Sheets have been. I really don't think that his pitch count has had anything to do with his soreness. I think it's just one of those things that happens to pitchers.

Archived