Brewer Fanatic

Sheets leaves game with right tricep "tightness"; Latest - "is a go" to start 4/29 start vs. Cubs

And That
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting angry at a professional sports player for getting hurt is just just a coping mechanism for some fans to deal with their frustrations. Not all of us need to do it, however. Sheets did not make the decision to personally wrong me, so I'm not going to be angry at him not matter what happens. Maybe I'll just kick my dog, or something.

Sheets can ask for anything he wants and will get from another team whatever the market decides he will get. I wouldn't blame anyone in any profession for doing it. That's how the real world works.

Jeff Weaver must be drooling right about now.

If Weaver gets picked over Bush, I might cry.

Whether it's pure back/good luck or something in an athletes body makeup, some manage to stay healthy better than other athletes at the same position. Sheets for whatever the reason can't seem to stay healthy and make his starts the last three years, it's not something people are fabricating, it actually happened.

A sore arm is a sore arm, every single year multiple guys who pitched 200+ innings for 3+ years in a row get hurt. Pitchers get hurt that is just part of the game. This year already we have seen half of the top 10 pitchers from last year suffer through some sort of injury or massive ineffectiveness and it is only April. That is why I can't get too worked up over a pitcher getting hurt. The odds are against any of our pitchers staying healthy two years in a row except for maybe Suppan who has shown a skill for staying healthy.

Here is what the www.disabledlistinformer.com site had to say about it.

"

Sheets will likely be evaluated and an MRI should be taken shortly. While this could simply be a strain of the triceps, it would not surprise me at all if this was a rotator cuff issue instead. The reason being, the triceps crosses part of the rotator cuff in the posterior aspect of the shoulder in what is called the "Quadrangular Space."

The inner (long head) aspect of the triceps actually crosses over one of the rotator cuff muscles (teres major), and passes underneath another rotator cuff muscle - the teres minor. In between this intersection lies the axillary nerve, which, when compressed, can offer symptoms mimicking "stiffness" or "numbness" in the area of the triceps and posterior-lateral shoulder.

In my clinical experience, I have seen very few baseball pitchers present with a pure, isolated "triceps strain" - rather, there is almost always an involvement of these rotator cuff muscles. A strained triceps certainly sounds better to the press than does a rotator cuff injury!

If a DL stint is required, expect it to last the minimum 2 weeks, followed by a rehab start or two."

I am not going to worry about until we actually know whats going on. In the grand scheme of thigns I dont think it is a big deal if hwe has to miss a start or two. If he has to miss a month or two then I would be worried. I hope they mention on todays broadcast how he is doing

Well, my initial reaction last night was that we have seen him pitch as a Brewer for the last time. Then seeing him after the game, and listening to Ned made me think they'll probably just push him back a few days. Now, reading these comments today, makes me wonder if my initial reaction wasn't the correct one. I am guessing they'll send him for an MRI today, but probably safe to assume they won't say anything publicly until they get home on Monday. I'm very interested to see who they list as the starter tomorrow. Assuming Sheets won't make his next regular turn regardless, do you start Bush or Gallardo tomorrow? Just push everybody back a day?

Hope this is not a long term deal, but with the recent past of Brittle Ben he could be headed to the DL.

Hopefully Yo is ready to come back and start putting in some long outings so the pen is not used before June.

Well, I for one am not mad at Ben Sheets personally. I'm frustrated that I think that this latest injury will linger longer than a lot of you out there think it will, if not be a bad one already that just hasn't been announced.

I'm also frustrated that like seven or eight Wisconsin Badgers defensive linemen who should be in the rotation won't be playing in today's spring game. My point is, the Brewers can't afford to lose Sheets to yet another injury, and it looks like they will. Comparatively, the Badgers can't afford to lose any more defensive linemen, yet their best one, maybe the best one in the conference went down yesterday in the wackiest spring I've ever heard of.

So, yeah, it's frustrating. You guys that sit there and remain calm, saying there's really nothing to worry about...that's your coping mechanism. History with Ben Sheets shows that the people who are fearing the worst are probably more likely to be correct.

You can argue about how "fluky" the injuries are, or how many injuries he's actually had...next some of you guys will be saying that this latest injury is STILL from his injury that bridged 2005 and 2006, so he can't be called injury prone, for having only one injury, and argue that he's just another starting pitcher. When, unfortunately, he's just not someone that you can pencil in a hypothetical playoff rotation if they are lucky enough to get there.

I'd put it at about 33% chance BEFORE the season started that he wouldn't be able to pitch down the stretch, just by looking at the last three years. Now? It's no better than 50-50 in my book, and we could very well find out in the next couple days that it's A LOT worse. And that sucks.

The team must either think this is a short-term thing, or at least that he can't make it worse by continuing to pitch - they knew about it, and let him go out there last night anyway.

Ned said in his post game that he had known about this, and had planned to let Ben go six innings last night, as a precaution, but he pulled him after five, because they had the lead.

For one thing, this probably explains why they wanted another arm in the bullpen right now.

Frankly, sore or not sore all week he certainly looked fine throwing the ball. There's a lot in play here. Sheets doesn't want to jeopardize his next big contract, so the slightest soreness is going to get his attention. The Brewers on the other hand need him on the mound, and quite bluntly, don't really care if his arm falls off at the end of October.

Back in the days of contract sanity, pitchers pitched with pain all the time. Most will tell you they were afraid if they didn't somebody would take their job.

I'll tell you one thing...someone's gonna have some major explaining to do if this turns into something serious. They knew about it all week and the soreness never subsided, yet they threw him out there anyway? Then in Ned's postgame yesterday, when asked why he pulled Ben after 5, he says it's because he's not going to take any chances with Benny? Having him go out there with soreness that hasn't gone away all week sounds exactly like taking chances to me.

well its time for the rest of the pitching staff to hike up their jockstraps a little higher and earn their money. did anyone really think sheets would pitch this entire season injury free?

vargas gone--cappy hurt for season--sheets hurt--gallardo just coming back, wow. all the starting pitching depth talk and 'ideal' rotations from a month ago is long gone. this all changed in a hurry.

I think it's actually encouraging that they knew about the pain all week and still sent him out there. He said he felt the pain worst in the 3rd inning and not all that bad in innings 4 and 5. He clearly was able to pitch through it. He ended up with an easy night, got them a lead and they could afford to get him out early.

I'm not saying that there wasn't some soreness from his last start. I'm saying that when he was pulled, I think it was because it was something worse than what he was feeling. He threw like four or five straight change ups at the end of his last inning. That doesn't jive with it hurting more in the 3rd than the 4th and 5th.

Believe me, I'm grasping to some of the encouraging aspects of this situation, such as Sheets demeanor after he came out, the fact that he pitched through it, etc. But I also don't want it to get lost on anyone, the fact that the team knew about the soreness before he made this latest start. And if this injury turns into something serious, someone's head should roll for sending him out there.

My fingers are crossed that in a few days this all becomes a non-issue.

I'm not saying that there wasn't some soreness from his last start. I'm saying that when he was pulled, I think it was because it was something worse than what he was feeling. He threw like four or five straight change ups at the end of his last inning. That doesn't jive with it hurting more in the 3rd than the 4th and 5th.

And I'm not sure yet that one of those 84-85 mph pitches at the end there wasn't actually a fastball.

We will see what the MRI brings.
Exactly. He is a professional athlete. He knows what a sore muscle feels like. This is probably something more.

All I know, when something starts hurting on me - that didn't hurt before...it means something is wrong.

Archived