Brewer Fanatic

Sheets leaves game with right tricep "tightness"; Latest - "is a go" to start 4/29 start vs. Cubs

And That
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
a quick question: has Sheets had this type of injury before? and how fast or slow did he recover from it? if this is a recurring injury, the long term future for Sheets does not look good. it might be sore or tight today, but if it's recurring, the more times it recurrs the worse and more common place it will become.

Yeah, here's the story, from the AP.

"It's just sore," Sheets said, acknowledging he was a little worried. "It's really sore. It's kind of a crampiness in there."

Sheets (3-0) felt soreness in his right triceps last Monday, the day after his 5-3 win over the Mets and Johan Santana. The hard-throwing right-hander with a history of injuries retired 18 in a row in that one.

The soreness didn't go away all week. The arm was still bothering him Friday night, though no one could tell by the results. Sheets allowed only a pair of singles in five innings, looking very comfortable in a hitter-friendly ballpark where he has never lost

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=280418117

So is there anyone to blame for this, namely Sheets himself? Is he not doing something that he should be doing that would make him less susceptible to injuries? Is he just unlucky? Is the training staff doing something wrong in preparing Sheets? Is Sheets previous back injuries just throwing his body out of alignment and causing these multitude of 'tweaks' that throw him off (this last question is chiropractic theory)?.

it doesn't sound all that serious but reading the quotes makes me think of Eric Lindros (NHL player for those that don't know) and his propensity for sitting out with the smallest of injuries rather than "toughing it out" like most NHL players.

I'm not saying Sheets is a wuss. I think he is very tough. But with his injury history, I sense that the training staff took him out of tonight's game with the slightest of injuries to ensure that he will be okay and not "taking a game off due to a hangnail," kind of a thing.

I hope Benny will be fine. And judging by the post-game stuff, I'd guess he'll be fine--miss one start at the most.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Sheets said he could have continued, so I don't see what the big deal is. It's obviously not a tear or ligament damage or anything crazy like that. They might have him skip a start. to get soreness out of there With Yo coming back, Bush could slide right in there.

Maybe Yost won.t have Sheets throw so many pitches in back to back starts, again.

rluzinski wrote:

Maybe Yost won.t have Sheets throw so many pitches in back to back starts, again.

I don't know why a pitcher should be throwing 100+ pitches in April. I think Yost said something about an extra day rest.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I would not be surprised if he gets 15 days off since we cannot decide which pitcher to drop to make room for Gallardo with Yost saying we don't want to take any chances etc etc. To be honest given the innings counts for Sheets over the last 3 years it would not bother me to see him miss 15 days with a minor injury at some point during the season. I think that would be a blessing in disguise type situation for this team.

I know what direction the press is taking this in, regardless of what it actually may be.

Yahoo header: "Brewers' Sheets wins, but leaves injured"

ESPN header: "Sheets' hurt arm forces him to leave after 5th inning in Brewers' win"

Man, it sounds like he need freaking Tommy John surgery going by these. I suppose his reputation has been well-earned though, and I guess you can't fault them for jumping to conclusions.

The more concerning quotes (to me, at least), from Anthony Witrado's MJS gamer:

There could be more concern than Yost led on, however. Sheets said the soreness, which he first felt the day after his start in New York, was close to the torn latissimus dorsi muscle he suffered in 2005, which lingered into 2006. Sheets admitted that the proximity to the old injury made him nervous about how long this one could linger.

"It's really sore," Sheets said. "It's kind of up in that region, top of the triceps and near the lat that I injured a couple years ago."

The more concerning quotes (to me, at least), from Anthony Witrado's MJS gamer:

There could be more concern than Yost led on, however. Sheets said the soreness, which he first felt the day after his start in New York, was close to the torn latissimus dorsi muscle he suffered in 2005, which lingered into 2006. Sheets admitted that the proximity to the old injury made him nervous about how long this one could linger.

"It's really sore," Sheets said. "It's kind of up in that region, top of the triceps and near the lat that I injured a couple years ago."

Yeah that certainly does make it sound worse than the rest of the comments.

Yahoo header: "Brewers' Sheets wins, but leaves injured"

ESPN header: "Sheets' hurt arm forces him to leave after 5th inning in Brewers' win"

Man, it sounds like he need freaking Tommy John surgery going by these. I suppose his reputation has been well-earned though, and I guess you can't fault them for jumping to conclusions.

??? To me it sounds like a high profile pitcher left a game prematurely for a health-related reason. Which is exactly what happened.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Wonder how this will affect his pending exit from Milwaukee?

All I know is that Ben shouldn't, with a clear conscience, expect anything beyond a 3 year, $40-ish million extension from us now.

I don't care if he misses the next start, or his next 5, or his next 20, he'd damned well better not demand Zito money from us this winter. If he pulls a BJ Surhoff on us now (injured just about every season, until leaving for free agency), and takes off for more cash, and finds perfect health, Brewer fans will be indignant.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

??? To me it sounds like a high profile pitcher left a game prematurely for a health-related reason. Which is exactly what happened.

Well, to me, there's a difference between "soreness" and "injured" or even "hurt." I mean, I'm probably just being petty here of course, but we don't indeed actually know that Big Ben is "injured" yet (Oh please God no....).

If he pulls a BJ Surhoff on us now (injured just about every season, until leaving for free agency), and takes off for more cash, and finds perfect health, Brewer fans will be indignant.

I don't think you're advocating this anger on the part of Brewers fans, but I'm not sure why they would/should be. It's not like ole Sheeter's wanting to be injured--he's clearly a competitor. Feeling frustrated, that I can well understand--I'm frustrated now.

(I do suppose it could be argued that after two--let's hope not three--injury-plagued seasons after his extension that Big Ben "owes" it to the Brewers to take a fair offer based upon his actual output and innings pitched and not mostly his potential...however, given that he's a family man and that it's possibly his last big payday I wouldn't fault him for going for a considerably larger paycheck than what the Brewers were offering--emphasis on the word considerably.)

Of course if it had been say Zambrano or Harang it would read something like Harang solid in win despite arm soreness or something like that.

Given Zambrano has thrown 200 plus innings the last six years and Harang has thrown roughly 675 innings the last three years, i think there is a legit reason for a here we go again theme when it's Sheets leaving a game with arm soreness vs the other two guys.

Whether it's pure back/good luck or something in an athletes body makeup, some manage to stay healthy better than other athletes at the same position. Sheets for whatever the reason can't seem to stay healthy and make his starts the last three years, it's not something people are fabricating, it actually happened.

Whenever you see "sore" and "arm" in the same sentence about a pitcher, it's probably not good news. Initially, I had thought this was not going to be a big deal, but reading those post-game quotes has me slightly more concerned.

Basically, he's had a week of soreness. That can't be good, especially since it's near where he was injured earlier. But it doesn't sound too horrible (yet?).

Archived