Brewer Fanatic

Yo stays....who goes?

bjkrautk
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which is why sending Stetter down makes the most sense right now. If they could have postponed Yo's start another day it would have been better, but sending Stetter back one day early is hardly a terrible thing right now.

If Parra is sent out, I doubt he'd leave the team, at least until they know what's up with Sheets. Ben would just have to be DL'd for Manny to be reactivated.

Great point. Using this train of thought, I would think Bush (less options), is probably safe.

I suppose we can just bury our heads in the sand and pretend he wasnt effective last year because he had a few bad outings.

This simply isn't true -- Turnbow really was not effective last year. I really think that DM and Yost have lost faith in him as well. If DM/Yost thought Turnbow was a decent pitcher that had a couple of bad outings, Turnbow would be pitching in games that the Brewers were winning.

That way we can depend on a slew of guys that are unproven and never likely to have anywhere near the success T-bow has had.

I think Gagne/Riske/Villy/Shouse/Torres and probably even Mota are better options to give the ball to in a meaningful game. I think McClung is a better garbage inning guy, as he is cheaper and can pitch 2-3 innings if needed.

Essentially Turnbow is a 3 million dollar garbageman. It's probably time to move on, and I sincerely Turnbow gets a chance with another team and makes the most of it.

Turnbow was 40th in relievers expected wins added.

*shrugs* -- I am not very impressed by that. Again, I don't think Turnbow is terrible compared to the entire body of relief pitchers in the NL, I think he is terrible compared to the guys who are closing games, and the guys that are setting those guys up.

I know you think Turnbow was some terrible pitcher but that just isn't the case

He allowed 12 of 14 inherited runners to score, that is not doing his job well. I don't think Turnbow is terrible -- I just don't think he is reliable.

Really, at the end of day, it boils down to this for me: If Yost is only going to use Turnbow in the 8th inning of games we are losing 7-2, $3.3 million is a lot to pay for that inning. I'd rather Turnbow get a fresh start somewhere else, and let some clown like McClung/Spurling pitch that inning for a tenth of the cost.

"I think Stetter makes the most sense to go down. Two LOOGY's is just a waste of a roster spot.

I don't think it is fair to call Stetter a LOOGY, he has pitched pretty decent against RHers. "

Nice post, FTJ.

And throughout much of his minor league career, he'd appeared in 195 games (172 of which were in relief, since A ball), pitching over 290 innings, which suggests he's always been depended on to go an inning-plus, safely into a 2nd inning, and at times, longer than that. If LOOGYs are, by definition, one-out guys, then a pitcher who averages about an inning and a half per outing is anything but.

OK, so Mitch is already 27, so he's no supernugget. But if Shousie's our designated LOOGY, then it would seem that Stetter's role is to pitch to multiple outs.

And at this point, especially since Ned (hell, the entire organization) can't confidently abide by Turnbow inheriting baserunners or just plain entering close games, then I hope Doug's at least entertaining trade offers for him. Thing is, the timing's wrong. How many trades are made in late April? We're either going to see the Brewers audition him for other teams over the next few months, or if Doug can't swing some kind of July deadline deal, we'll probably eat his $3 million-plus contract.

"I know you think Turnbow was some terrible pitcher but that just isn't the case"

Love this!

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

OK, so Mitch is already 27, so he's no supernugget. But if Shousie's our designated LOOGY, then it would seem that Stetter's role is to pitch to multiple outs.
Shouse was like 67 years old before he became a good pitcher. So I don't think Stetter's age is very relevant.

Gee, the "clown" McClung was awesome again today. And the mighty Dave Bush goes again tomorrow. I'm sure if Yost had his way, he would be a lock for the rotation as long as he was manager, but if Bulldog doesn't improve from being a bad pitcher, or as Ned calls it "great," maybe others will force him to let go of him.
Formerly AKA Pete

I really dont understand this obsession to rid us of Turnbow. I suppose we can just bury our heads in the sand and pretend he wasnt effective last year becuase he had a few bad outings. That way we can depend on a slew of guys that are unproven and never likely to have anywhere near the success T-bow has had.

Gange, Torres, Mota, Riske. That's 4 guys that have had the type of success that Turnbow has had, and who most importantly still are.

Look, I like Turnbow a lot myself, but he's been horribly inconsistent for a little while now, and we can't count on him whatsoever in a big spot.

Now I'm certainly not the "blame Yost for every-single-thing" type guy, but I do to some degree hold him a little responsible for Turnbow. At least in the sense that you know how and when to use T-bow and he's not using him like he needs to. You can't use him day after day and you can't sit him down for 5-6 days.

And with the way McClung's throwing? And the difference in salary? It's becoming an easy call.

Archived