Brewer Fanatic

Report: Rays sign Evan Longoria to long term deal; after 20 at bats

RyDogg66

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=234621

The St. Petersburg Times reports that the Rays have signed Evan Longoria to a long-term deal.

It only took six games and 20 at-bats. The team is expected to announce the signing at a 1 p.m. press conference. Longoria wasn't eligible for free agency until 2014, and the contract likely takes him through then with a club option on his first year or two of free agency. He projects to be one of the league's better third basemen, and the deal should protect the Rays against rapidly inflating salaries come arbitration time. Apr. 18 - 12:11 pm et
Source: St Petersburg Times

It is reported that with team options it could be up to a 9 year deal, very Carl Crawford like.

Unless this deal got them two options/seasons of FA, I feel like my head is going to explode. This notion that player salaries are going to continue to escalate the way they have over the past 5 seasons really confuses me. Perhaps they will, but what are we talking then, $10 mil. for part time players? Inflation in this country is absurd right now, and unless we continue reckless fiscal planning, I don't see how inflation/prices can continue to rise without a huge bottoming-out.

I don't want that to be political, just economical -- and as it relates to MLB salaries. 2014? I don't see how anyone could accurately forecast that far out. Am I wrong, or is that a bit like trying to predict the weather two weeks from now?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Wow. They had him locked up for the next 7 seasons... they better pray he doesn't become injury prone or anything.

Am I wrong, or is that a bit like trying to predict the weather two weeks from now?

I think it's like trying to predict the weather 2 months from now.

I'm very curious to know how much this contract is for. Part of the reason I don't understand doing this is because if Longoria is dominating the league by the 4th year of his contract, he's inevitably gonna start whining for more money and how underpaid he is.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Unless this deal got them two options/seasons of FA, I feel like my head is going to explode. This notion that player salaries are going to continue to escalate the way they have over the past 5 seasons really confuses me. Perhaps they will, but what are we talking then, $10 mil. for part time players? Inflation in this country is absurd right now, and unless we continue reckless fiscal planning, I don't see how inflation/prices can continue to rise without a huge bottoming-out.

I don't want that to be political, just economical -- and as it relates to MLB salaries. 2014? I don't see how anyone could accurately forecast that far out. Am I wrong, or is that a bit like trying to predict the weather two weeks from now?

Inflation is crazy, I agree. The nature of baseball and its limited supply and high demand is that salaries can really only hold steady (like they did for a few years around 2004-2005), they wont go down. In 6 years someone like Jenkins, if they were free agents could expect to get 10 million a year, and Jeff Suppan would be worth more like 16 million. Look what a crappy year from Andruw Jones got him, almost 19 million a year. Crappy players like Juan Pierre are gettin 10-11 million already. everything is only going to go up. Ticket Prices, concessions, TV deals, licensing deals, cost of MLB Extra innings, player salaries.

In a few years, Gallardo will be a free agent, he'll say if Barry Zito is worth 18 million a year, Im worth 25...that is the economics of baseball.

I'm very curious to know how much this contract is for. Part of the reason I don't understand doing this is because if Longoria is dominating the league by the 4th year of his contract, he's inevitably gonna start whining for more money and how underpaid he is.

yeah but baseball players dont hold out. He can whine, but teams likely will not renegotiate unless he has an out clause.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Jeez, at this rate teams are going to start signing guys to longterm deals while they're still in the womb.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm totally in agreement with TLB on this one. Salaries are getting to the ridiculous level again. At this rate we'll be looking at our first 300 million dollar contract very soon (and ironically it could be Fielder if he keeps hitting 50 a year). If I'm remembering correctly, the value of the Brewer franchise is some where around 280 million. That buys you one year of the Yankees plus change for a private jet.

I guess that it's clear that his agent isn't a guy named Boras. If I were his agent, I would have put a TON of escilator clauses in there. Looking at it from the Rays' side, I'd have to think that if he rakes between now and years 4-5, there would have to be a re-negotiation if they have ANY chance of keeping him beyond the contract.

Anyone know if the option years are club / player / mutual?

MLB inflation is about 10% a year and will continue to rise as long as teams keep making more money. At some point, you'd think that it would have to slide towards regular inflation, no?

I don't really know much about this kind of stuff but, is the US inflation rate really that out of control? It was 4.28% in Jaunary:

http://inflationdata.com/inflation/inflation_rate/CurrentInflation.asp

Wouldn't our parents laugh at us for thinking that's insanely high, wouldn't they? I mean, it was over 13% in 1980! Also, it appears there are some signs of inflation slowing down:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/17/business/17econ.html?ref=worldbusiness

I guess I'm not ready to freak out just yet.

I'd have to think that if he rakes between now and years 4-5, there would have to be a re-negotiation if they have ANY chance of keeping him beyond the contract.

This is an interesting angle... basically, if a player feels he is "outperforming" his contract (with too many years left on it for not enough money) (and of course the team wants that to happen) then the player approaches the team for restructuring. That gives the team another opportunity to extend years to the deal while adding money to the here and now. A 7 year deal seems silly now, but in year 4 when he wants more dough... you pony up said dough for 5, 6 and 7... but you use your leverage to make sure you have the 8th and 9th too.

I don't really understand why this upsets people. If a player wants to leave some potential money on the table to have the security of a long term, guaranteed contract, more power to them. If Tampa is willing to roll the dice and risk the chance of paying money on an injured player, more power to them. Risk vs. Reward.

Also, according to Forbes, players' salaries haven't even kept up with team revenue the last 5 years:

"When it comes to players, owners are becoming more tight-fisted. During the past five seasons, player costs (salaries, bonuses and benefits) have fallen to 56% of revenue from 66%. As a result, operating income (in the sense of earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) averaged over $16 million per team for the second straight year."

I think fans should be getting angry at the disparity in revenue between teams, not how much of the pie the players get. Players don't create the product, they basically are the product.

It bothers me because I don't think the team is playing the right odds. I'm against extending Braun right now unless it buys out two years of FA because I don't think it's worth giving up his cheap years otherwise. Tampa is taking a huge risk that probably isn't worth it, and other teams will pay for it. All it takes is one to set precedent.

At some point, you'd think that it would have to slide towards regular inflation, no?

Baseball salary inflation is different and separate from general price inflation. Salary inflation in baseball will only slow down when fans stop paying higher ticket prices, stop watching games on TV, stop buying merchandise etc.

Wouldn't our parents laugh at us for thinking that's insanely high, wouldn't they? I mean, it was over 13% in 1980!

Parents? I took out a 2 year CD in 1979 that earned 12% and barely covered inflation in 1979 and lost to it in 1980.

Baseball salary inflation is different and separate from general price inflation. Salary inflation in baseball will only slow down when fans stop paying higher ticket prices, stop watching games on TV, stop buying merchandise etc.

I understand that, which is why I pointed out that team revenue gains are actually ahead of player salary gains over the last 5 years. Shouldn't we expect those revenues gains to level out at some point, however?

Tampa is taking a huge risk that probably isn't worth it, and other teams will pay for it. All it takes is one to set precedent.

If it actually isn't worth it, other teams won't follow suit. Teams spend more and more money on players because they know they ARE worth it, generally speaking. To call for owners to keep salaries artificially low (lower than market value) is to call for the return of collusion. The only reasons fans jump all over player salaries is because it's public knowledge. Owners are smart enough to keep their growing check books private.

Archived