Brewer Fanatic

Most important April Home Run?

brewtown82
Could Prince's blast today be the most important April Home Run in team history? Is there such a thing? Listening to Braun's comments after the game, when he said it was a big weight lifted off the shoulders of the team, I wouldn't be surprised if the team went on a tear after this. We'll see I guess.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if fielder went off this weekend and hit 3 or 4 homers. You could tell it's been bothering him lately with some of the big hacks he has been taking. Hopefully he goes back to the same old prince we know and love from last year.

April HRs? easter sunday 1987. i think ppl were dancing in the bleachers for 30min after the game.
but look where that season went. nowhere.

True, but if you are saying that it's not the most important HR because the season ended without a playoff appearance, how can you say that Prince's HR is the tops, when we don't know how this season will finish?

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

it was more of a speculative "could", like "when it's all said and done, it could be the most important". POint taken. Believe it or not i remember that game in 1987. My dad had the game on betamax and we watched it every summer. good times. Just glad to see Prince off the schneid.

The home runs hit on Easter Sunday 1987 (April 19, I believe) did not factor into a division title, but did clinch the 12th consecutive victory for the Brewers ("in dramatic fashion," as Pat Hughes said in his 10th Inning Show that day), and gave George Webb's a chance to finally, finally, provide the free burgers the chain had promised since the Braves were in town and George Webb was alive.

If today's win proves to vault the Brewers on a five-month-plus white-hot tear that ends in at least a playoff berth, I'll happily return to this thread and discuss whether Prince's shot today is the most important April home run in Brewers history. Until then, I'll take the Easter Sunday 1987 side. I know that its significance is lost on posters who are not old enough to remember that day (or were around for it at all), but I think some fans would argue it was bigger than Juan Nieves' no-hitter a few days before.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

i think ppl were dancing in the bleachers for 30min after the game.
I was 8 years old at the time sitting in the LF bleachers as that HR sailed over our heads. The only thing I remember was being scared that the entire bleacher section was going to crack and break from everyone jumping and shouting on the bleachers.

I don't remember the game. I just remember feeling really small and in a huge massive loud crowd that frightened me.

Too bad I didn't know more about baseball at the time - It was a helluva game!

I dont know if it was just me, but for the first time in about 6 games i thought prince was actually just trying to put a good swing on the ball and not hit it out of the ball park. I think he will go on a tear as well. This time last year Prince had 2 homeruns. and he hit 50.

So was the best pitching performance of last year Benny's Opening Day masterpiece because we went on a tear out of the gates or was it Verlander's no-hitter because it woke up our offense, especially Billy Hall, albeit temporarily?

So was the best pitching performance of last year Benny's Opening Day masterpiece because we went on a tear out of the gates or was it Verlander's no-hitter because it woke up our offense, especially Billy Hall, albeit temporarily?

The Verlander no-hitter. I was just thinking about that one today. Even in the no-no, Billy didn't make an out. Then the next day when the offense was still completely stagnant, he hit that huge home run. Then we go into the Twins series and score a bunch of runs, and that run continued for a few weeks. I remember many on here remarked that it would be great to get no-hit from time to time if that was the result.

I was watching the end of the FSN broadcast replay last night and it was mentioned that Fielder switched to using Joe Dillons bat in the 8th inning for the double and the in the 10th for the HR. Just thought it was interesting that that's what it took to get his first HR.

As much as I have fond memories of that day back in 1987, I would say Prince's HR yesterday was much more important from the psycological standpoint of the team and it's top slugger. If the HR in 1987 hadn't happened, they would have been 11-1 with no real worries at that point and time.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

April HRs? easter sunday 1987. i think ppl were dancing in the bleachers for 30min after the game.

you can say that about all the seasons we have had except one. If that is the criteria, then pick a HR from 1982.

How about Sixto's game winning Opening Day Grand Slam in 1980. He also hit one in 1978...the Brewers first season with a winning record and the beginning of the franchise's 1978-1983 Glory Years. Wasn't there also a Grand Slam that got called back a year or two before...maybe Don Money? That might be the biggest one that didn't happen.

I'd still give it to Rob Deer (don't forget his that day) and Sveum, although if we rattle off 13 straight and then win the World Series, I reserve the right to change my vote to Prince!!!

I was watching the end of the FSN broadcast replay last night and it was mentioned that Fielder switched to using Joe Dillons bat in the 8th inning for the double and the in the 10th for the HR. Just thought it was interesting that that's what it took to get his first HR.

He did that once last year. Went on to hit a bunch of homers following. At least thats what it seemed like to me.

The crew was 91-71 that year. Didn't win the division, but it was a very exciting year. In fact, it was my first summer as a kid after moving to WI and that year made me a brewers fan for life.

Archived