Brewer Fanatic

Hernán Iribarren down, LHP Mitch Stetter called up

sargennm

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
They still need Gross to play center while Gwynn and Kapler are dinged up - Hernan is still too new to the position although he looks great at the plate.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

a short time up, but he had a couple hits and a huge double today. We'll see him up again.

¡Gracias Hernan!

Melvin's really doing a nice job this season, largely because both he & Ned have a lot more ammo with which to work.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Does this mean that 2 pitchers are going down in the spots taken by Gwynn (who should be back shortly) and Gallardo?? Interesting that they sent down a position player (especially while Kapler is hurt) and brought up another pitcher when we have one coming back in 3 days.

I'd imagine Stetter is up for the weekend because the Reds stink vs lefties and because we just had back to back starters not make it deep into games so we could use a fresh arm. Once we activate Gallardo he'll probably go back down or they'll dump Turnbow or something like that. I'd also imagine it means Kapler is feeling better so we don't really need Gwynn.

That still gives us 13 pitchers though, leaving very little room for PH options at the end of the game. Especially if Ned won't ever put the backup catcher in to PH....assuming our regular lineup, that leaves us a bench of Gross/Kapler, Counsell and Dillon...and that's it.

Two lefties in the bullpen makes sense to me, but I like Hernan, he impressed me.

Isn't it great to have solid options in the system? A few years back this was the "Land of Opportunity" for six-year free agents and waiver guys, now we actually have usable players to go to if someone gets hurt.

Isn't it great to have solid options in the system? A few years back this was the "Land of Opportunity" for six-year free agents and waiver guys, now we actually have usable players to go to if someone gets hurt.

Oh, you bet your butt it's great. Now, when players get called up, I don't instantly assume a giant decline into sucktitude has taken place. I didn't know what to expect from Iribarren, but he was a nice player to have coming off the bench. Will he be starting at CF/OF everyday in AAA?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

yes the hurricane shown he really belongs as a big lead hitter, Gross is really should be the odd man out once Cameron comes back.

very intresting what they will do when Yo comes back. I do smell a trade comming up

With Gwynn eligible on Saturday, and Gallardo likley on Sunday, not to mention the Weaver signing, this move does make it seem as if something could be up. Then again, given some of the short starts lately, this may well just be an extra arm. I have thought all along, and this week has done nothing to change my mind that Gross will be gone upon Cameron's return. Perhaps some combination of Gross, Bush, and Turnbow for...something.

With Gwynn eligible on Saturday, and Gallardo likley on Sunday, not to mention the Weaver signing, this move does make it seem as if something could be up.

I just don't think Gwynn will be back on the 25 man on Saturday since he's going to make some rehab starts in Nashville. My guess is this is going to help get Gwynn ready and buy time until Monday when the Brewers will send Stetter back down. Just my guess.

Didn't somebody start a thread earlier in the week about the need for a 2nd lefty in the pen and specifically for use against lefty dominated teams? On those occasions where my posts are acted upon soon after, I always get the feeling I should be on retainer. Oh well I do miss more than my fair share too.

If I had to guess, I'd say the moves to be made will be Parra back to AAA for time being once Gallardo is activated. It could be Villanueva, but I think they'll give him a slight edge just on experience for now. I think they'll stick with Bush in the rotation too. I think McClung might have bought himself time by throwing gas and controlling it today. The Gwynn move to rehab is indeed a time buying move. I hope Turnbow and Gross didn't sign long term leases this season.

This move also indicates Kapler is healthy and will play every day in CF until Cameron is back.

Stetter deserves the chance right now.

As mentioned, the Reds are a very LH dominant team. Stetter was great last year in the minors against LH batters. He was very good overall in spring training - and has looked great in AAA again this year.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

Archived