Brewer Fanatic

Volunteer work

jaybird2001wi
I have often thought of doing volunteer work this summer with at-risk youth like maybe teach them to play baseball. I know MLB has an RBI program and am wondering if MLB needs some volunteers to help with the RBI program. I may not exactly fit their "demographic" but grew up in a diverse city (Racine) so I know how to interact with all types of people. Does anyone know of any programs where I can participate?

If you just want to work with at-risk youth I'd recommend either Big Brothers or the YMCA Mentoring program.

I've been working with the YMCA program for 5 years now and found it very rewarding.

Also, probably the most enjoyment I've received from volunteer work is Habitat for Humanity. It's a real joy to help someone build their own home.

Habitat for Humanity? If I were to join, would they send me across the country for free or do I have to pay my own way?

They usually cover a place to stay and some meals while you work. I went on a couple 'destination' builds in college. One time we stayed at a beach house in North Carolina. It was a terrific spring break trip.

There are plenty of local builds as well though. If you're open to it, they have some foreign country builds.

This was quite a few years ago but my wife taught a foods & nutrition program to teens at a youth center (in Racine. I think it was down by the Case Plant on the lake). The teens then in turn taught the younger kids at the center while she oversaw them. That was thru the UW Extension office.

She is still very involved with 4-H. They have many things that you could lead. Im currently a rocketry leader & the co-rabbit leader.

Archived