Brewer Fanatic

0-2 Count on Rickie Weeks

AJAY
I think it goes beyond numbers to a certain point. Molitor (aka The Ignitor) used to feast on first pitch fastballs. Just that aggressiveness especially in the first AB of a game often set a tone. Now Molly never had great walk numbers, but you can't argue that he wasn't a great leadoff hitter nontheless. He put the pitcher on the defensive, not the other way around. Now if Weeks' had no success going after first pitches I could understand, but as infrequently as he does, he does find success. He put the first pitch of the game from Ted Lilly on to Waveland in game 2 of season.

I also think it goes beyond numbers, though the numbers that rluzinski provided are somewhat telling. I think it goes to scouting reports. If the scouting report says that this guy doesn't swing at the first pitch, why wouldn't you just lay an easy strike in there every time and get ahead in the count?

It's not like I want him to starting ripping at every first pitch from now on. It would just be nice to see him do it a little more so it's not so obvious every time that he's going to take it. Make the pitcher throw you a real pitch, not an easy strike.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

A couple time's he's swung at the first pitch off the top of my head this season are the lilly leadoff homerun and the gamewinning single against the reds. I seem to recall his other homers this year coming on 1-0 and 1-1 counts, which for him is pretty early in the count. It seems like when there's a guy on 2nd or 3rd he *usually* will swing at the first strike he sees. There are advantages and disadvantages to every type of approach, and taking a lot of pitches naturally is going to lower the BA and slugging a little bit, but the OBP is what we need rickie to have, and he's doing well in that aspect considering he's only hitting .200 thus far. Soon those hits will start falling in and the BA will rise as well. The thing is, when Weeks does decide to swing on the first strike, it's usually in a big situation and he hits it pretty hard more often than not. The book on Weeks as someone has said is that he doesn't swing at these first strikes, but when he does decide to swing, he's getting some pretty good meatballs because of that reputation. I think he'll take advantage of this plenty this year.

It's not like I want him to starting ripping at every first pitch from now on. It would just be nice to see him do it a little more so it's not so obvious every time that he's going to take it. Make the pitcher throw you a real pitch, not an easy strike.

I think that Weeks has a nice line at 0-0 (apart from having no strikeouts on that pitch count) is because he DOES call the pitcher's bluff once and awhile and hacks at that fastball. perhaps he could do it more but it's not like he never does it, either. It's hard to say how often a batter SHOULD swing at the first pitch.

Archived