Brewer Fanatic

Anyone plan on going to The National?

JimH5

The National Sports Collectors Convention is in Chicago (Rosemont) this year July 30-August 3.

Is anyone planning on attending?

I've never been to a National, but have heard it's quite a sight, and this might be a good chance to see some very cool stuff.

I'm trying to make this one part of my summer plans. . .

http://www.nsccshow.com/

http://www.tristarproductions.com/National/index.htm

I went to the one in St. Louis in 1995 and it was absolutely awesome. I literally got tired looking at all the stuff and had to just chill out for a while each day to give my eyes a break. Overwhelming. If you go, do a "first pass" without buying much of anything and take lots of notes. Of course, there are just some things that you know are a great deal but just when you think that you'll find something else you can't live without around the corner.

I'll never forget I was standing in line for Bob Feller's autograph when an older fellow, making his way through the hallway, politely ambled through the line in front of me. It was Warren Spahn. I couldn't get over how short he was. I envisioned him to be much taller.

I have heard that there are no bargains to be had in the autograph area at the National--but others who have been there would be better to judge. My understanding is that you pay for parking, and admission, and then for each autograph you want to purchase. Tristar is managing the autograph process, and their website will probably list prices for each guy on a variety of objects. Tristar's website says tickets will be available starting in May.

I don't know if they have exclusivity on all autograph guests. . .maybe some other booth holders might have their own guys come in to sign. . .just not sure. . .

But it's certainly not just an autograph show. There are most of the top national dealers in attendance, with stuff ranging from the things you'd see in a Mastro or Robert Edward auction to stuff that you'd find at the local card shop.

I think I'm going to go this year. . .but only if I can afford to come home with something. . .

Usually with a VIP pass you can get a certain amount of free autographs. Not usually huge names anymore, though. In St. Louis we got a bunch of lesser name autograph tickets included in our VIP package (I had Curt Flood, Jay Johnstone, Jackie Smith, etc.) and one bigger name. My wife and I ended up with Feller and Spahn for our bigger names. There was also a "bullpen" area that was used to trade autograph tickets since the tickets you received were random and you only knew who you had when you got in the door. You also have the option to buy an autograph ticket in advance for any player there.

Honestly, though, unless you REALLY want that Jay Johnstone card signed I wouldn't really focus on the "free" autographs. It almost always was a minimum of 30 minutes in line that could have been spent rummaging through the dealer tables or going up to the card company booths for free stuff. Some dealers or companies even have unannounced autograph guests in their booth.

That said, the VIP package is pretty nice if you plan on going a couple of days because you can get some great stuff in the promo bag and you can avoid lines getting in.

I went when it was in Chicago a couple of years ago. It was a blast, so much cool stuff to see. I only wish I had more money to be able to spend there. Some guy had TONS of fitted hats like every MLB team old and new and I got a home Brewers 5950 cap from the interlocked "MB" logo of the mid 90's for like $15 brand new. Also picked up a 2001 UD Pros and Prospects Hardy and a 2003 Bowman Chrome Gwynn from a guy for $1. Lots of sweet deals and rare stuff to find there just gotta have a lot of time to search. Maybe I will have to head down there this year. I really want to find one of the two minor league Eric Gagne bobbles.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I really want to find one of the two minor league Eric Gagne bobbles.

Are there lots of bobbleheads at these events?

I found another Gagne minor league bobble it is from the San Antonio Missions. So that makes three.

I just paid $25 for it. from someone off a bobblehead site I visit.

I really want to find one of the two minor league Eric Gagne bobbles.

Are there lots of bobbleheads at these events?

I found another Gagne minor league bobble it is from the San Antonio Missions. So that makes three.

I just paid $25 for it. from someone off a bobblehead site I visit.

Oh, that is sweet so now three minor league bobbles. Yeah if I remember there were bobbles there.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

• 2 months later...
I don't think I can make it this year, though it sounds like a blast! How often is something like this in Chicago? I wouldn't mind going to one of these things. Is it mostly card dealers? I'm not a big card collector, but I love memorabilia in general, how does signed stuff price out as far as comparing it to eBay or something?

At Cooperstown, all those guys signed for 50 or less. Musial I can't say for sure but Carew and Gibson were both at 50, inscriptions may have been 15 or 20 per guy.

At Cooperstown this year, Gibson on a flat or ball is $65; at the National he's $69 (inscriptions are $25/$30). Overall the National seems to be about $5-$10 more than the signings at Cooperstown. I'm going to both this year, but most of my autographs will be football HOFs at the National. Fortunately, I got most of the baseball HOFs at Cooperstown over the past 10 years or so, when they were a bit less expensive. I was surprised by the cost of the Football HOFs.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm definitely going to be there Thursday July 31. If anyone else will be there that day, let me know, as we could meet up for some overpriced conference center fare.

And I'd like to keep this thread open to get people's impression of the show. . .what did you buy? will you go to Cleveland in 2009? autograph experiences, etc.

Just a week to go. . .I'm getting excited. . .hopefully one of the highlights of the summer. . .

If anyone's going to be there on Sunday, I could use a little help. I've got tickets for Biggio and Bo Jackson as part of the VIP package, but I'm leaving Saturday. I'd like to get a Biggio ball, but don't really care for Bo. If anyone could get me a Biggio, I'd happily give them the Bo. (I also have a pass to get in the front of the autograph line, if that helps).

Archived