Brewer Fanatic

TiVo (or, help me justify the purchase I've already decided to make)

bjkrautk

Ever since I heard about the TiVo service, I've liked the product...conceptually. I didn't buy one when it first came out, because they were only available in Standard definition, and it was pretty clear that this High Def thing was going to stick around.

Then, when TiVo did come out with HD versions, they ditched the lifetime pass, and started charging ~$10 / month for service fees. (Without the TiVo service, the box can't schedule recordings, so it loses much - if not all - of its value.)

Over the weekend, one of my friends clued me in to this. (For anyone not reading the link, it's a HD Tivo with lifetime service and the Wi-Fi adapter for roughly $700.)

It's more than the cost of my PS3, which automatically makes me wary. But at the same time, it's hard to put a price tag on the device, and the value that I'd get from never missing one of my favorite shows again because I was out of the house that night, or because a Brewers game was on, and I didn't take the time to set up the VCR.

Any TiVo users out there? I'd love to get some thoughts / recommendations from you.

Ever since I heard about the TiVo service, I've liked the product...conceptually. I didn't buy one when it first came out, because they were only available in Standard definition, and it was pretty clear that this High Def thing was going to stick around.

Then, when TiVo did come out with HD versions, they ditched the lifetime pass, and started charging ~$10 / month for service fees. (Without the TiVo service, the box can't schedule recordings, so it loses much - if not all - of its value.)

Over the weekend, one of my friends clued me in to this. (For anyone not reading the link, it's a HD Tivo with lifetime service and the Wi-Fi adapter for roughly $700.)

It's more than the cost of my PS3, which automatically makes me wary. But at the same time, it's hard to put a price tag on the device, and the value that I'd get from never missing one of my favorite shows again because I was out of the house that night, or because a Brewers game was on, and I didn't take the time to set up the VCR.

Any TiVo users out there? I'd love to get some thoughts / recommendations from you.

Who is your TV service with? Most other DVRs don't do teh recommendation thing but work just as well.

Who is your TV service with? Most other DVRs don't do teh recommendation thing but work just as well.

Charter (Central WI) right now, but I may switch to Solarus (a local provider) by year's end. I already know that Solarus works with TiVo (as they rent their own units), although I'll have to do some work to configure the thing if I do make the jump.

I don't currently have a digital cable box (as I won't pay for HD content), so I shouldn't have to worry about setting up a cable card....as I understand it. Right now, the only device I have for recording video is a VHS machine....so pretty much anything is going to move me forward on the technological curve.

I have a Sony DirecTV standard definition receiver with Tivo. It's around 6 years old, and is probably on its last legs. . .but I still love it more than any other DVR I've seen.

I had two of them, but when one died, I replaced it with the DirecTV one that they give away, and the Tivo's interface and intelligence was superior. It is so simple to record and watch shows.

I understand that cable companies and satellite companies are doing their own thing in the DVR game, but I'd still like to see Tivo make it long term.

Sadly tivo is not compatable with dishes of any kind

This is not true. I have 2 tivos and both are setup to my directv system. Or did you mean the BIG satellite dishes?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I have a Sony DirecTV standard definition receiver with Tivo. It's around 6 years old, and is probably on its last legs. . .but I still love it more than any other DVR I've seen.

If you visit this site, you can upgrade your existing tivo's with a new hard drive that keeps things in good working order. I've done it several times (not because my tivo broke, but because I wanted more storage space)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

This is not true. I have 2 tivos and both are setup to my directv system. Or did you mean the BIG satellite dishes?

Really? I have DirecTV HD, and was told by TiVo that the new boxes were not compatable. If they are, I need to go make a purchase, as having no DVR really stinks.

I'm stubbornly clinging to my old Philips DirecTV TiVo because all other DVRs I've seen are nowhere near as user friendly and DirecTV has stopped partnering with TiVo.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with TiVo. I highly recommend it, no matter the cost (almost literally).

Really? I have DirecTV HD, and was told by TiVo that the new boxes were not compatable. If they are, I need to go make a purchase, as having no DVR really stinks.

Ah, there's the rub. I don't have HD so maybe it is true about the HD tivos then. Doesn't make sense to me, personally, since tivo wouldn't be that dumb, I would think, to make sure the millions of HD satellite users can't use their product.

Sorry for the apparent confusion, though. I guess if you want the HD tivo you may need to check in the stores, online, etc. if it does or doesn't work with satellite.

- - - - - - - - -

I have TiVo and I love it. Mine is not HD however so I will be without HD recording for at least one more year. $700 seems like alot, but if you are getting tv through cable and it works with your cable I would highly reccommend it.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Thanks, pitchleague for the referral. I like that they have a cottage business in refurbishing old DVRs. That's cool, as opposed to turning these boxes into electronic waste. Plus, you can keep using these awesome Tivo machines.

I've always had philosophical issues with paying subscription fees for recording TV, so recently I found a Philips DVD Recorder with a 160GB DVR. It doesn't have the guide features like Tivo because it functions more like an old VCR. It doesn't necessarily "record HD" but the quality of video it pulls down from HD signals is good enough. It definitely not a plug and play component, but once you figure out how it works with your cable system, it does the job.

Archived