Brewer Fanatic

4/16/08 Brewers (Villanueva) at Cardinals (Wainwright): 7:15 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
Do the Brewers even have a win with Gross in the starting lineup? Kryptonite!!!

I know a lot of people here don't like Gross, but this loss was far from his fault. 1 for 3 and saved a run in CF.

I wasn't blaming Gross for the loss. Just wondering if the Brewers have won with his awesome bat in the lineup, batting 2nd no less. It isn't Kryptonites fault it disarms Superman, it's just the way it is.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This team seriously needs someone to chew them out Leyland-style. Anything to wake them up and get them to take a few pitches. Maybe Yost should fine anyone who takes the bat off their shoulders in their first at-bat tomorrow.

HA! I just get a feeling that Yost has never chewed out a player and never will.

HA! I just get a feeling that Yost has never chewed out a player and never will.

Really? Have you ever seen Yost make a visit to the mound when he's not taking out the pitcher? I think those are "chewings" and they happen pretty frequently, more frequently than most other managers.

Really? Have you ever seen Yost make a visit to the mound when he's not taking out the pitcher? I think those are "chewings" and they happen pretty frequently, more frequently than most other managers.

The problem is just that, he does it on the mound in front of everyone. Demoralizing rather than instilling the fire in the clubhouse. Yost like to put on his show in public.

So now the problem isn't that Yost doesn't chew out players, but rather that he does it too much in public. Or are you assuming that because he does it on the mound, he doesn't do it in private?

I'm by no means a Yost lover, but some of these criticisms are pretty ridiculous.

Community Moderator

Need to chew them out? They aren't 2-10 like the Tigers, they are 8-6 (as of this game) and now 9-6 and in 2nd place. If they keep up a 9-6 pace, they win the division, despite all the issues going on right now. No worries.

As for when they happen on the mound, from what I've seen, they have almost always been effective at generating results.

As for when they happen on the mound, from what I've seen, they have almost always been effective at generating results.

I don't know what you were watching last year, but most of the pitching meltdowns started right after a good Yost undressing.

Community Moderator
I don't know what you were watching last year, but most of the pitching meltdowns started right after a good Yost undressing.
I was watching last year, and I saw all of the following:

-Our pitchers melted down after Yost "undressed" them

-Our pitchers melted down if Yost didn't "undress" them or sent Maddux out there

-If Yost took out the pitcher, the next one melted down also

Our bullpen stunk last year. It didn't matter what the situation was, there was a good chance they were going to blow the lead.

The other issue is that we have been high on Bush/Parra/Villanueva, but they all have consistent difficulties pitching into the late innings. Yost has an obligation to try and help them get through as many innings as possible--they will never learn how to get out of jams in key game situations if they don't get experience doing it. I'm in the minority, but I am expecting Parra to be sent to AAA this weekend and I won't be upset over it.

Just to provide a glimpse of the other side of the coin, that extra-inning win at Wrigley last April (it was Team Canada's birthday) included a stint by Villanueva which began with I think a walk, then Ned came out to give CF a talkin-to, then Carlos was terrific for a few innings. So if you want to call that an 'undressing', I'd say that one achieved a desired result.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived