Brewer Fanatic

4/16/08 Brewers (Villanueva) at Cardinals (Wainwright): 7:15 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knocked the hell out of that one. Blech.

At least they got shut down by a good pitcher this time. The late inning rally is at least encouraging for tomorrow, though. One more game and they can get out of St. Louis as fast as possible. Words cannot describe how much I hate seeing the Brewers play there.

Even though they've been playing like crap lately, it's important to have a little perspective. Through 14 games last year, the Brewers were also 8-6 and hadn't really gotten warmed up yet.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. But I still am left with a sense that this is a team that's going to battle and a team that, ultimately, is going to succeed.

I'll probably get hammered for this but to me they look like talented losers. Talent keeps them in games but the losing mentality of this organization is still too much to shake.

Here's hoping Rickie is just a Brandon Phillips type late bloomer...

That is what I'm banking on. Phillips was left for dead in Cleveland and now he is a stud. I think Rickie could be that guy someday, hopefully sooner then later. Everytime he shows something great, he then looks lost and bad the next time.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. But I still am left with a sense that this is a team that's going to battle and a team that, ultimately, is going to succeed.
I'll probably get hammered for this but to me they look like talented losers. Talent keeps them in games but the losing mentality of this organization is still too much to shake.

They couldn't hold a big lead last year but I think that was more indicative of immaturity and maybe even youthful panic than loserdom...I think it's gonna be really interesting watching them this year since the potential of a wire-to-wire pennant race is relatively high--they seemed to respond well to that last September save for the first part of the last week. If they get 5-8 games back by late June or so and they respond by crawling into a shell, then maybe you can blame the "mentality of the organization."

Great strides have been made. I'm not freaking about a couple 2 game losing streaks.

Nah. Perfectly undertandable. When Gagne came out at Shea Saturday, I looked around and told everyone that my Slavic sense of shame and doom was kicking in. Until they come home with the gonfallon or a ring, any negativity may hold its rightful place.

Do the Brewers even have a win with Gross in the starting lineup? Kryptonite!!!

Heh. I think it's more likely due to the fact that he only plays against righties. When a guy like Braden Looper can just walk Prince Fielder four times and bank on the rest of the lineup putting down their bats when they step to the plate, you can't really blame it on Gross.

Do the Brewers even have a win with Gross in the starting lineup? Kryptonite!!!

I know a lot of people here don't like Gross, but this loss was far from his fault. 1 for 3 and saved a run in CF.

There's a lot of holes in the lineup right now. This team won't even contend if guys like Braun, Fielder, and Hardy don't step it up and start performing remotely close to what they did last season. I'm a little concerned about Weeks and Hall not performing to expectations the past season-plus now, also. The only regulars playing at or beyond expectations are Hart and Kendall (Kapler is not a regular). I'm hoping that Cameron will help some guys relax and give a boost to this team at the end of the month.

Check the box score tonight ... horrible lineup averages compared to the Cardinals' lineup:

http://jsonline.stats.com/mlb/boxscore.asp?gamecode=280416124

I believe in morla victories in a long season like baseball, and i think the Brewers secured one last night. They put some things together against a very good pitcher in the 9th, they looked loose and relaxed, and I think they carry it with them into today and beyond.

Archived