Brewer Fanatic

Soriano Injured - Due to his own cockiness?

brwrsfan
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to be cocky to a certain degree, to be sure, but when you stand out as a cocky-man amongst cocky-boys... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Forunately, I am not a betting man.

I'd personally never trust a team's press conference-speak on injuries influence my opinion. Seems like most of the time you just hear things like "shoulder strain" or "back strain", which tend to mean "we don't know exactly what it is yet"/"we don't want to let anyone know how bad it is yet"

For the Cubs' sake, I hope it's just a calf strain, but even that carries a longer 'get back to 100%' timeframe than a 15-day DL stint. The estimate I cited earlier was more along the lines of two 15-day visits.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

According to the organization, Patterson was called up because he is a left handed hitter and he has more versatility defensively (2B, LF, CF, RF) whereas Murton is right handed and can only play left or right.

Fontenot, Theriot, 1 out 2 out ? How about starting off with a 4 run 1st and then finishing off a 6 run 3rd.? Whoever suggested that being without Soriano might be a good thing - good call!

Those of you that listen to the Score, get some good audio books, they're much more informative.

EDIT: Actually I think the reason that Patterson was called was so that he could have a reunion with his brother. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

One night of Fontenot and Theriot doing well does not mean it is a good thing for the Cubs offense in the long run. They were going up against Josh Fogg last night (yeah I know he was decent against the Crew) so dont act like this will be a consistent happening. There is a reason the Cubs wanted Brian Roaberts badly and why Cubs fans wanted Theriot out of the lineup. They just are not that good.

Fontenot isnt bad but he isnt that good. Remember the Cubs went after Kaz Matsui in the offseason before turning to trying to trade for Roberts. If a team wants Matsui who isnt that great (Career OPB under .330) they must not have a ton of faith in you. He might not be a bad spot start guy but he is not an everyday starter in my opinion and neither is Theriot.

Here's the DL Informer's update:

Alfonso Soriano's MRI Results

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

One of fantasy baseball's premier speed/power threats received some very good news today when his MRI revealed a strain of his calf - not an Achilles injury. Still, this is an injury that will take some time to heal, as the calf is always contracting when a person is standing. Matter of fact, the calf is the only muscle in the body that is continuously contracting when a person is standing upright. This delays healing, of course, because the tissue is attempting to heal itself.

Expect him to be out longer than the initial 2-week DL stint. I would say 4-5 weeks sounds about right, putting a return sometime in the latter half of the 1st week of May or early part of the 2nd week of May.

Probably the best (or close to it) news for the Cubs & their fans. Still a long time to go without Soriano, though.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived