Brewer Fanatic

Soriano Injured - Due to his own cockiness?

brwrsfan
He was helped off the field by another player like when in football or basketball when someone rolls an ankle really bad. I think it was theriot, not sure though.

Theriot's so gritty, he'll carry carry injured teammates off the field!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The hop creates unnecessary glove movement right before the catch. It doesn't make a lot of sense as a way to improve catching the ball. Whether it's intentional hot-dogging or not it sure looks like hot-dogging.

I was lukewarm on Soriano before this year, but he quickly became one of my most hated players when I attended the Thursday opening series finale in the left field bleachers. He constantly went back and forth with the fans, wiggling fingers to indicate how many outs there were and everyone in the stands would wiggle their fingers back. He spent more time interacting with the crowd than he did paying attention to the game. It drove me nuts and I can't imagine that his concentration was 100% on the game when you are continuously in a nonverbal dialogue with the fans. If I were Piniella, I would sit him down and tell him to pay attention to what is happening on the field.

I could only laugh when I saw him severely misplay a ball that Carlos Lee hit down the line and ricocheted off the wall and went right past his glove a couple days later. He is so lackadaisical out there, I could not even watch after a while. The hop thing is just another example of something that is completely unnecessary and doesn't help in any way. It is just another gimmick that he does in the name of being "entertaining".

For awhile, I really thought that it was the fact that it was a Cub that was upsetting me, but based on most of your comments, I'm not the only one that thinks Soriano's stupid little hop is just flat out ridiculous. Whew!

Funny, I just came here to post that after watching the video again just now, I'd be willing to bet it is an achilles problem, and I just noticed TooLiveBrew's post above. Upon closer inspection, I know that's where my money is at the moment. It does seem like those rather innocuous looking injuries often end up being the more serious ones. Since this is the Cubs we're talking about, who knows when we may actually find out.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I wonder what Cubs fans think when Braun stares at his home runs?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

By my count he did that once, was corrected and hasn't done it since. Seems to me he generally drops his head faster than he drops his bat and heads for first.

They can't complain too much. Ramirez and Soriano both do the same thing and take their time around the bases. At least when Braun stops staring he somewhat hustles arond.

I'm sure just about every team has a player that admires his work. I really can't think of anyone that does 'the hop' right before catching a fly.

Some guys down on NSBB are saying that they heard on the Score 670AM that Eric Patterson has been called up and Soriano has been placed on the 15 day DL. No word on what the MRI read that was taken today. Some posters were even wondering if the delay in getting out the results to the public has to do with the fact that they have to tell all of Soriano's next of kin before telling of a major issue with the calf.

Oh, and Matt Murton should've been called up, they say......

Amazing, a few years ago, I read on there that some were saying Matt Murton and a prospect should have netted them Yo Gallardo. (Crazy, I know). Boy, has his star fallen....

Here's The Disabled List Informer's (slightly) updated post on Soriano:

Soriano to be Out "A While"

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Lou Piniella, the manager of the Chicago Cubs, was quoted as saying that Alfonso Soriano could be out for "a while" after sustaining what appears to be a fairly serious calf strain at the very least. I am hoping that this is not a more serious injury - particularly an Achilles Tendon tear, which would require surgery. Often times, Achilles injuries are initially reported as calf strains. The fact that an MRI was ordered right away is also not a great sign.

Expect Soriano to be shelved for the next 2 weeks at the very least, but a more realistic timeline would be 4 weeks on the mend - if it is a calf strain and nothing more. An Achilles Tendon repair would end his season.

MRI results are pending, and should be available today. Hopefully, we don't get a New England Patriots-esque injury report, i.e. "lower leg injury", or a Seattle Mariners report of "calf inflammation."

I don't know if I'm willing to go as far as naivin & put my money on an achilles problem, but I think this is going to turn out more serious than I initially expected.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If anyone has questions on the Soriano injury, I'd encourage you visit the DL Informer blog, as the author is awesome about answering questions in the "Comments" sections of posts.

That outfield is pretty pathetic right about now. As for the hop, I can't quite understand how that would be hot-dogging it because it just looked stupid. Admiring a home run at least looks cool sometimes, but that hop just looked idiotic.

It's too bad we don't have an outfielder to deal them...

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

That outfield is pretty pathetic right about now. As for the hop, I can't quite understand how that would be hot-dogging it because it just looked stupid. Admiring a home run at least looks cool sometimes, but that hop just looked idiotic.

It's too bad we don't have an outfielder to deal them...

Take Gabe Gross. Please.

In the short term anyone they bring in will probably hit better than Soriano, but sooner or later Soriano would come around so if this is a long term problem it could spell doom.

So does this mean Theriot is going to lead off? Ouch

Shouldn't really say anything since Weeks isnt exactly an OBP machine lately

Murton doesn't give off the same vibe that, say, Estrada does, but I wonder if there's a similar (behind the scenes) situation with Matt. He's a poor man's Corey Hart, and I mean that in a good way. Not sure why he wasn't part of their plans anyway, with two LH hitting OFers (Fukudome & Pie). The Cubs must disproportionately hate his lack of defensive prowess, or there's something else going on imo.

While it is important to remember this is the Cubs we're talking about, it does sound as if it is just a calf strain...

General manager Jim Hendry said he believed Soriano would be back before the end of his stint on the disabled list.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-080416-chicago-cubs-alfonso-soriano,1,5724967.story

Forunately, I am not a betting man.

So does this mean Theriot is going to lead off? Ouch
Living down in Chicago I listen to 670 The Score on my way home from work. Sound like Fontenot is leading off followed by Theriot.

Out number 1, out number 2. Nice.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I told a dyed in the wool Cub fan friend of mine after opening day that I thought the division could come down to which team is better able to avoid injury...

Brewers 1

Cubs 0

BTW, before anyone calls jinx, my acknowledging the potential for a jinx, off-sets any possible jinx. That, and the fact that what I post on an internet message board has nothing to do with players getting hurt.

Archived