Brewer Fanatic

"Mound Ball"

It seems like players toss the 3rd out ball into the seats all the time which hurts "moundballers".
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

One thing about those rules is we play if the ump throws it toward the mound and it stays that counts as well. If the ball stays on the mound no matter how it gets there and the pitcher picks it up its good. If it is on the mound and a player kicks it off it does not count.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I think it's fine that people play side games for money during a game (especially at spring training) but it's not for me. I'd rather watch the game and cheer on the home team. I have had people behind me making a big scene about their game to the whole section so everybody would know what they are doing the whole game.

Of course, I've also found over the years that if you mix these games with beer consumption, they tend to lose interest in their side game by the 6th or 7th innings, especially at spring training. Some groups can be quite entertaining but many are cuss-filled bandwagon fans that I just don't enjoy sitting by.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I think it's fine that people play side games for money during a game (especially at spring training) but it's not for me. I'd rather watch the game and cheer on the home team. I have had people behind me making a big scene about their game to the whole section so everybody would know what they are doing the whole game.

Of course, I've also found over the years that if you mix these games with beer consumption, they tend to lose interest in their side game by the 6th or 7th innings, especially at spring training. Some groups can be quite entertaining but many are cuss-filled bandwagon fans that I just don't enjoy sitting by.

Fair enough. When I go our group doesn't make a big deal about it. It's just a fun little thing to play and watch for between innings when no action is going on.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

We've played a few times, but every time we play it seems to grow into a huge pot. We generally only call it a "win" if the ump throws the ball and it stops on the mound somewhere. We re-ante after each half inning, so with 5 guys, the pot grows pretty quick. It's a decent sidegame to play every now and again. We also do the HR game....very basic...everyone puts in a couple bucks and the money goes down the line with each hitter (Brewers only), if you have the money when a HR is hit, you win the pot. If your hitter does anything other than a homerun, you pass the money on to the next guy (it then goes back in reverse order so the person on each end gets it twice in a row, regardless of the outcome). This one tends to get won more often, especially with our roster.

If I go to a game with 4 or 5 people we play the "Dollar Game". I don't know if that's what it's actually called or what, but basically you start with one dollar, and if the brewers get an out you pass it to your right and add a dollar. If they get on base you take the pot. Also, at any time you can say "FOUL BALL" before the pitch, and if you're right, you take a dollar out of the pot, and if you're wrong you add one. It's pretty good when everyone's got a few beers in them and it's a blowout.

We use to play that "Dollar Game". However, not with the "FOUL BALL" rule.

Another game is that each person gets assigned a batter (we normally picked names from a hat). If a player gets a single or walk, everyone gives the "owner" of that player a quarter. For a double, it's $0.50; Triple - $0.75, HR - $1. This worked well for our fantasy league when the Brewers were in the AL (DH) and we had about 9 guys attending the game. Otherwise, if you have a smaller crowd, you have everyone pick two players.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

If you're going to play the HR game, there are a few other modifications to make the game a bit more interesting:

1. Have each player add a dollar after each round (if you have 4 guys, after everyone has had the money once, have everyone re-ante).

2. Inside the park homeruns are worth triple. Not like this has ever happened at a game I was at, but if it does, everyone pays the winner an additional 2 antes.

3. Pitcher homeruns are worth double. Again, doesn't happen much, but someone is going to get the pitcher batting at least twice, sometimes 3-4 times a game. It's almost a guranteed loss, so they should have something going for them.

4. Grand slams could have more value, we've never done this but it's been talked about.

Archived