Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Sign Jeff Weaver to minor-league deal

don1481
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do agree with some people that said it was a sweeting deal to Boras to sign his client who is out of a job.

If that's the reason they just wasted some money. Boras is not going to give a break for one client just because you signed another to a minor league deal. Quite frankly if my agent was swayed to make concessions in my deal because another client of his got favorable treatment he wouldn't be my agent very long. If I'm a player I'm not at all interested in making less money so my agent can help another of his clients. I'm quite sure Melvin knows this as well so this is an improve the baseball team deal not a help get Prince signed deal.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quite frankly if my agent was swayed to make concessions in my deal because another client of his got favorable treatment he wouldn't be my agent very long.
It's just a conspiracy theory I have already heard being discussed and I saying you never know.

(pared back nested quote --1992)

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I think this is an excellent move, because it brings virtually no risk. Either Weaver shows he can still pitch, or they release him - so what?

These moves never seem exciting at the time, but sometimes they work out, there's no reason not to give him 4-6 weeks at Nashville to see what's left in his arm.

I'm quite sure Melvin knows this as well so this is an improve the baseball team deal not a help get Prince signed deal.

Right, I suspect though that DM has a promise with Boras that Weaver will either get quickly released or get brought up to the MLB team -- I don't think Weaver is going to be the R.A. Dickey of 2008 for the Brewers.

But for a minor league deal, he's as good, if not a better alternative to Dave Bush, should the need arise.

I'll have to respectfully disagree. Even for a minor league deal.

Jeff Weaver is a really, really, really bad pitcher. In no way would I ever want him on the big league squad. He's beyond putrid. They'd better be paying him the bare minimum and using him as an example of how not to pitch. If that's the case, then he could be of some use in the minors.

Jeff Weaver was always a favorite of mine for some reason. I just liked his delivery with arms and legs going every direction.

That said, this signing isn't anything to get overly excited about, even for me. I remember some games last year when he was with Seattle in which Jeff had trouble getting out of the 1st inning.

Good option to have in Nashville.

You can never have enough pitchers. When Spring Training started, we had a boat load and we were talking trading. Another very good move by Doug. Is Weaver going to be the ace of the staff .....No....but he maybe able to eat up some innings later on. And that is why we got into the mess we did last year, we wore out our pitching staff.

I agree with the Kapler comment. How many of us were jumping for joy with his signing. Not me. Looks like a very good signing now.

Can't wait for the PA announcer to announce " now pitching for the Milwaukee Brewers, Jeff Weaver" then the song Dream Weaver starts to play and we all sing. AHHHHHHHH

In Doug we trust

well, for a minor league deal, it's not too bad. The guy threw darn well in 2005 for the Angels and was traded to the Cardinals mid-way thru 2006 and pitched "decently" (but not great) for them. I can't believe the guy is "only" 31 years old. I would have guessed closer to 36.

Hopefully, he can show something in the minors.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Care to expand?

Said that believes Weaver will be in rotation no matter what in a month and the only reason we signed him was to appease Boras and move negotiations along with Prince. He also said he thinks they will send down Parra or Villy to make room. Basic Sparky nonsense and overreaction.

Sparky with some genius analysis on 1250.
Care to expand?
bullox, I think "genuine analysis," along with the blue text, says it all. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I got Weaver to acknoledge by heckling in 04 when he was with the Dodgers. I called him a dirty hippy when he was standing on deck and he kept glaring at me (thank you cheap 5 county seats).

I want to see what the numbers are before I pass judgment on this. As long as it is "not much" he is worth a look. I'll go along with this being some kind of Prince quid pro quo, but it ain't much of one. DM may score a few points with the Devil for putting his guy to work for a few weeks, but that won't carry the Stache far. Boras doesn't have much in the way of feelings, you have to be human to have those.

Well he wasn't a horrible pitcher with the Dodgers and was pretty good in the Cards' World Series run...if he could somehow replicate his career NL numbers it wouldn't be a terrible thing, but you'd have to think that guys like ZackJack or Narveson could put up comparable numbers. I'll agree that it's pretty much just another warm body to keep in AAA just in case someone else gets hurt.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

A) We're just slowly rebuilding the Cardinals WS pitching staff.

B) Jeff Weaver will not be any good. He hasn't retired and become a coach yet.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

A) We're just slowly rebuilding the Cardinals WS pitching staff.

What's Sid Ponson doing these days? I hear the Cubs are trying to move Jason Marquis, too. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

bullox, I think "genuine analysis," along with the blue text, says it all. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Yeah, but I like to hear what the blowhards are saying every now and then just to get a better grip on both sides of the sanity scale. If all you hear is decent to good analysis, you start to undervalue it.

Vargas at $3 mil

Yes, since Vargas wouldn't go to AAA with us, Weaver is a great fit. Plus, I guarantee you the deal is for much less than $3 mil. (not that that makes me intelligent, says Captain Obvious...) unless Jeff somehow pitches himself up through a season with us... in which case it'd be worth whatever relatively low cost he'd hit.

I like the move; as others have mentioned, another nice low-risk/high reward move by Melvin & Co.

EDIT: I sure hope Bush is injured (as odd as that sounds), because I'd rather that be true than him simply starting to stink it up.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived