Brewer Fanatic

2008 Nickname Thread

One of the little things I like about the Brewerfan.net community are the nicknames that are created and only used on this forum. For example: Sharpie for Doug Davis.

Since it's an off day, let's open the floor to suggestions for this year's team. (I wish the search would reveal last year's thread as a reference)[/i]

Pitchers

Dave Bush

Eric Gagne

Seth McClung

Guillermo Mota

Manny Parra

David Riske

Ben Sheets

Brian Shouse

Jeff Suppan

Salomon Torres

Derrick Turnbow

Carlos Villanueva

Catchers

Jason Kendall

Mike Rivera

Infielders

Craig Counsell

Joe Dillon

Prince Fielder

Bill Hall

J.J. Hardy

Rickie Weeks

Outfielders

Ryan Braun

Gabe Gross

Corey Hart

Hernan Iribarren

Gabe Kapler

"Strange Brew" for Eric Gagne - he's Canadian, he's comes off as a little odd to me out there on the mound, and he's on the Brewers
"Purple Reign" for Prince
"The Suture" for David Riske - you know, he stops the bleeding, or at least hopefully he will (I know it's stupid)

Gabe Kapler has to be known as Skip, as in Skipper... for he was a Manager last year.

And, Joe Dillon is still, Crazy Joe.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

A few years ago (the '05 season I believe) I came up with a bunch of nickname's for players from around the league. My roommates would randomly pick out a player and I would throw out some random nickname and then we would attach the two and sometimes I'd come up with some backwards logic for why that nickname would work. Some examples:

Bobby Abreu: TJ (mistakenly thought my roommates were talking about Miguel Tejada at the time and thought TJ would be good for him)

Ben Sheets: The French Onion (from Louisiana, Cajun to French and onion cuz he made the hitters cry when he struck them out...although now maybe he cries cuz he has gotten hurt so often)

Albert Pujols: Superman's Illegitimate Love Child (just a freak of nature of a player, could only have been spawn of Superman)

Scott Rolen: The Spanish Cobra (no idea)

Lance Berkman: Whenever Wherever (again no idea)

Turnbow: Control Alt Delete (because he was a shutdown closer: was originally applied to Mike Adams when we thought he was going to be the closer)

Craig Wilson: Hidden Valley Ranch (no idea)

Pedro Martinez: Mr. Pink Fairy Tutu

Scott Kazmir: The Kazmir Sweater (like cashmere)

There were a lot more but I can't remember them. Then we started to assign nicknames based on people's nationalities. Examples:

Carlos Zambrano: The Venezuelan Vampire

Trent Durrington: The Thunder from Down Under

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I think splitterpfj coined "Gabe the Babe" for Mr. Kapler the other day. I'm sticking to that (though I will continue to pause at every game I attend, in case Robb Edwards calls him Kaplan again like he did on opening day).
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I love calling Rickie Richie, ever since Gary Thorne butchered his name for a whole ESPN telecast.

Quite often I also refer to him as Richard. Amuses me to no end.

I find myself using initials a lot with some guys lately. Like RB for Braun (I'm thinking Arby's?) and JK for Kendall.

My dad hates pretty much every player the brewers have ever had except shouse, hart and kapler, and has some terrible nicknames for a lot of them.

Derrick Turnblow

Eric "Gag Me" Gagne

Rickie-Ticky-Tavy

Prince "I'm a terrible" Fielder

Jeff Soup-Can.

Turnblow is kind of growing on me, even though I like Derrick.

All I've got is

Bill "Do-It-All" Hall

and I used to call TGJ "4-3" but if he keeps hitting sleazy bloop singles at this rate I might have to reconsider

When I was down at spring training this year everytime I saw Mike Cameron I couldn't help thinking, "The Terminator". Hopefully when he finally gets to Miller Park he'll make everyone think that way. As a side note he was an incredibly nice guy and definatly blended in very well with the rest of the team. I can't wait to see him play again. He certainly left a good impression on myself and the rest of my friends that saw him down there.

I used to call TGJ "4-3" but if he keeps hitting sleazy bloop singles at this rate I might have to reconsider
That was my nickname for Chris Magruder! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Bill Hall's powerful alter-ego is Bill Hill, Rickie Weeks rickrolls the opposition, and I most often refer to Gabe Gross as Double G, as if he were like Double J, Jeff Jarrett.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Motorola mobile's slogan = HelloMoto, maybe Guillermo Mota's nick = HelloMota?

I've been trying to get that going in the chatroom, except I was using Hola Mota. Hasn't stuck....

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

in case Robb Edwards calls him Kaplan again like he did on opening day).

Thank you! I was almost positive I heard him say that when he announced the team, but then when later on he did say "Kapler" so I thought maybe I was going crazy.

I think my brother told me some of this friend's called Corey Hary "Goblalien" because he looks like a mix between a Goblin and an alien. I thought it was kind of funny.

Robb Edwards only said "Kaplan" in the opening day player introductions - though he said it twice there. Number 33, outfielder Gabe Kaplan! Number 33, Kaplan!

I can't believe I forgot Bill Hill (which I now think of every time #2 does something), and Richie Months (which I think was Robin19's contribution to that Bill Hill thread).

After Corey Hart declared in his recent chat that he is half mountain man, I may have to adapt that somehow.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived