Brewer Fanatic

Chad Moeller called up by NYY

Tisko

EDIT: My source was Rotoworld.com and apparently they got it wrong.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04142008/sports/yankees/joba_gone_at_least_three_days_106511.htm

Moeller is taking Betemit who was put on the DL for pink eye?

I would guess he starts tonight at least so that if they have to put Jose Molina on the DL they can at least make it retroactive.

The fact that Girardi is even DH-ing Posada at this point seems irresponsible and risky to me. I mean, if the guy describes his throwing shoulder as "dead", should he be using it in his swinging motion? Besides, since Jorge is a switch-hitter, that right shoulder gets the stress in both roles -- as both front & rear shoulder.

That said, if your option past the hot-right-now-Molina is Chad Moeller, I could see why you want Posada to still be able to contribute with the bat. But then you have 4 capable OFers, and are either playing Damon in CF (not a strong option at this point in his career), or sitting Matsui/Abreu... both of whom are lefties, as is Damon.

Basically, the Posada injury has made a mess of things, and exposed a huge weakness at C that I'd be willing to guess the Yankees will have to address this season.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Making the situation even more humerous was the fact that last night Girardi actually pinch ran for Molina (although it does seem that he was hurt), but by doing so, he lost his DH for the game, as Posada had to become the catcher. It was a 2 run game at the time (8th inning), so it really could have created a problem with the pitcher's spot in the lineup.

Posada then had to go out and catch and the Red Sox promptly stole 2 bases without a throw...so the Yankees apparently have been operating without a real backup catcher all this time. Why wouldn't they be more proactive and having one on the roster?

Not only did they lose the DH, they also let the Red Sox tack on a free insurance run in the 9th inning of a relatively close game.

Basically, the Posada injury has made a mess of things, and exposed a huge weakness at C that I'd be willing to guess the Yankees will have to address this season.

No team is 3-deep at catcher. I don't think they will have to address their need for a 3rd catcher, that's why they had Moeller at AAA- in case of emergency. Something can't be a huge weakness if every team has the same weakness.

Well, when your best backup in case of an injury to options 1 & 2 is Moeller, and you're trying to win the AL East, imo that's a pretty big weakness. At least for the Brewers, we've got Munson, who's young & still has some pop in his bat. Moeller is just below-avg. across the board. I think you're right that I overstated this as though the Yanks had the worst C depth in MLB, but I don't think that Moeller as #3 is very good, even with the positional weakness taken under consideration.

Moeller was always one of those players that either you loved or hated. Kind of like Keith Ginter. Who i had a huge man love for. But always nice to see Chad back in the majors.

Someone loved Chad Moeller?

Just kidding...but seriously someone did?

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure on Moeller's status after the Yanks DFA'd him, but I felt the following fit here, as opposed to a new thread:

Jorge Posada headed for DL with a tear in his subscapularis muscle; surgery possible

http://www.eorthopod.com/images/ContentImages/shoulder/shoulder_snapping_scapula/shoulder_snap_anatomy01.jpg

Archived