Brewer Fanatic

Relocating to the Phoenix area

honuswagner21
My fiancee and I are kicking the tires on potentially relocating to the Phoenix area from Milwaukee. I have visited the area a couple of times but am not sure where to even start looking. We are getting married next year and wouldn't make any move until after then. What I am wondering are if there are any areas that should be avoided and if there are any stable spots. We are both in our late 20's, I work in finance and she is an elementary school teacher. Ideally, we'd be somewhat close to our jobs. Anyone have any ideas as to how best to approach this? I'd definitely consider renting for a little while before buying anything.

My suggestion is to do your homework. The valley is currently a huge buyer's/renter's market, with prices dropping daily. Unfortunately they were overinflated for a long time. The Valley is huge, and there's lots of teaching jobs. I work in Paradise Valley Unified School District, which has many perks. But I've also applied to many others.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
My personal preference is the East Valley - so that means Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler, Mesa (yuck). I lived in Tempe and Scottsdale and there's a lot to do in each. Another option is Awatukee (sp?) which is on the far south side. That was a nice neighborhood too when I lived in AZ (moved in '02).
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

i live in the west valley. its definitely not as pretty as scottsdale but as i'm close to cards stadium & hockey arena, they keep improving the neighborhood. its a great time to buy now. you dont need to hurry and worry - the market shouldnt change drastically. everyone fears itll get worse which means itll be even better for buyers. when i bought my house, my realtor sent me to real estate school and i'd learned quite a bit about that. i dont do much w/ my license since i'm an engineer and i'm happy w/ my career.

my suggestion, since you both are young. buy a condo in scottsdale. all the young ppl live there and i'm sure you should both be able to find jobs in the close vicinity.

my folks just bought a second place around there and seem to like it, about two blocks from the Cardinals stadium and seven miles from Maryvale--if only they cared about sports. they said that area was really growing and getting more expensive because of the stadium, as the city is trying to make the area a lot nicer. they'd probably be up for renting it out for a few months if you wanted.

Archived