Brewer Fanatic

Small Ball

orca1963

Kinda makes sense, since the middle relievers tend to be the least-talented on the roster, & SPs could be facing the order that dreaded 3d time through.

Spock would say there is a time where logic dictates an emotional response.

That, sir, is awesome. This needs to get used repeatedly this season. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I would say that against a pitcher like Santana you should wait and see a couple innings if he is on as all pitchers have off days. I really don't get to upset with sac bunting.

"The Book" did a study, looking at how well a starting pitcher did after giving up early runs. If i remember right, on average, the performed to their normal level after the rocky start. Perhaps a person could identify when a specific pitcher is "off" based on other factors (bad velocity, no command of a specific pitch). I'd be skeptical if that's that case in the majority of situations, however.

rluzinski wrote:

"The Book" did a study, looking at how well a starting pitcher did after giving up early runs. If i remember right, on average, the performed to their normal level after the rocky start. Perhaps a person could identify when a specific pitcher is "off" based on other factors (bad velocity, no command of a specific pitch). I'd be skeptical if that's that case in the majority of situations, however.

So if a pitcher is having an off day you are more likley to get him early in the game? I have the book, but will admit I have not read more than a few chapters here and there.(I focused mostly on batting order stuff and sac bunting) Shame on me for not reading the whole thing. I shouldn't need somebody to point out how much of a slacker I have been, but I do. Thank you Russ. Now that I know I promise to go back and read it all the way through.

Part of my reasoning behind not bunting against Santana despite how good he is has to do with the splits many of our players have against LH pitching. Hall, Hardy, and Braun(didn't look up Weeks, Hart, or Kendall) crush lefties. With that in mind I would be more inclined to bunt early vs a righty over a lefty with everything else being equal.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I shouldn't need somebody to point out how much of a slacker I have been, but I do.

This point is still under review...

Yes! You do need someone to point this out. Slacker. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

If i remember right, on average, the performed to their normal level after the rocky start.

To be honest, that's neither surprising nor counter-intuitive. If anything, my guess prior to Russ's post would have been that SPs would outperform their 'norms'... on average given the situation.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I get the impression that Ennder was talking about a starting pitcher's sixth inning.

Nope that was league wide for all pitchers. The 6th inning is a combination of starters going the 3rd time through the order and your crappy RPs usually so doesn't surprise me too much that it is the worst one.

rluzinski wrote:

Their conclusion was simply that you can't identify if a pitcher is "off" based on only a rocky start.

Oh, ok. I wasn't trying to say that because he gave up a few early hits that he was off. I was saying that you shouldn't give up outs early in the game. The book also states that batters gain the advantage as the game goes on. Except for the 9th spot in the opder. It got worse.

I went back and read the chapter on starting pitchers. I don't want to be thought of as somebody who always asks for an explination without making the effort to read posted links or books that I actually own. I am sure I am forgetting something as I was kind of tired when I read it.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived