Brewer Fanatic

Correcting people you overhear at the ballpark

While it is tempting to correct the person who keeps referring to the 7th inning stretch as something that happens after the 7th inning over and over again or the guy who is trying to impress his date, as others have said, no one wants to be shown up by a woman. I tend to be more annoyed by the people who want me to take their picture in the top of the ninth with runners on and the closer trying to end it.

I generally don't mind if someone weighs on my conversation, but those who do, proceed with caution! I got to take my little brother to a game at Fenway last year and he was making fun of the way I was scoring the game. The guy in front of us overheard us bickering about the proper way to do it and turned around and informed my brother "he was lucky his girl liked baseball." Pretty mortifying for a teenager. I had to stand at least two feet away at all times for the rest of his trip.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I absolutely CANNOT stand and have no patience for the wave because it is invariably done at the most inappropriate times in the game. Pitching changes? Sure. Blowouts? I'm ok with it. Runners in scoring position and the pitcher's struggling? I want to see the frickin' game, not your hands in the air!!!!

I have always been of the mind that it is better to correct someone and upset them than to bite my tongue and allow them to continue their misguided conversation. Much of the time, it does come off as abrasive. Then again, I tend to be more..."injective" with others' conversations when I'm a beer or five in the tank. Nevertheless, much of the time, they also thank me for the correct information.

Ahhhh, this has happened to me plenty of times.

I've corrected numerous people at Bucks games this year as to who Ramon Sessions is, and how we drafted him 56th overall. One specific time I remember people saying the Raptors threw him in in the Charlie Villanueva/TJ Ford deal.

I usually bite my tongue and don't pipe in though. If it's a family struggling to figure out the meaning of a stat or something, then yes I'll politely say something, but if it's dumb chatter about obvious things, I find it humorous.

At a Brewers - Cubs game a couple years ago, Michael Barrett came up to bat, pinch hitting for the pitcher. Some Cubs fan said "I thought he was a catcher!" My wife turned around and said "he's pinch hitting", and they said "oh ok". Then I said, in my best high-pitched dorky little kid voice, "Whats pinch hitting? Whats baseball?"

Not necessarily at the park, but I enjoy when people find out you're a Brewer fan and then make an argument about the Brewers based on one or two stupid things, because that's all they really know about the Brewers. For example, some of the ones I've heard this year about why the Brewers are not good:

One time when I was younger, some kid tried to tell me that the Brewers cheat because they have an extra glove on their hats.

On the subject of other fans, I've found Cardinal fans to be quite enjoyable to watch a game with. I've had good converstations with them in which we educate each other on our prospective teams. And they never yell, "Let's go Cubbies" at random, inopportune times.

Was at a Brewers - Cardinals game in St Louis once. Tony Gwynn came up to bat, he had been called up recently and still had a BA over .400. The Cardinals fans around me were amazed. I heard several comments like "Wow, he must be as good as his dad!"

Archived