Brewer Fanatic

Correcting people you overhear at the ballpark

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i hate OBp and don't wan t people to tel l me it's the basebal l stat of the new milenium!

Well, technically, it was the baseball stat of the old millenium too. It just took awhile for people to understand how important it was. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

My favorite of the "don't know what they're talking abouts" is the guy who's trying to impress the girl. He's invariably wrong and she has no clue and is usually not at all interested.

This happened to me at Thursday's game. The guy really was sounding like an idiot, and the girl just kept nodding, saying "mmm-hmmm." I've learned never to correct people, or even give answers unless the question was directed specifically to me. Lots of people don't like being corrected, but even more guys (especially drunk ones) don't like being corrected about sports by a girl.

My dad, on the other hand, will correct anyone. He gets a pass because he's a crazy old man.

I remember a couple of years ago when we made the Carlos Lee trade I found myself in a situation where I was being corrected. The conversation between my dad and I went like this...

My day: "Hey who is this guy Nix and where did we get him from?"

Me: "We got him about a week ago in the Carlos Lee trade with Mench and Cordero."

My dad: "Oh, I thought I heard his name in there."

The guy sitting behind me: "No, he has been in our minors for a couple of years now. We drafted him just a while back."

Me: "Are you sure? (I knew I was right)

The guy: "Yeah, I have been following his progress."

Now if that is not annoying I don't know what is.

Usually I only correct people at the condiments. Everyone knows that dogs only need mustard and relish, right? Ketchup on a dog? Also, I always make disgusted looks at people who scrape the salt off the pretzels. I say, " Hey, those two ions are necessary for all living creatures."

Now if that is not annoying I don't know what is.

Maybe he was mistaking Nix for Nelson Cruz? ... and is still idiotic? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

in times like these, with iphones and mobile broadband, you can probably make some coin of some people if they won't let go of their "facts" when you try to correct them.

(with apologies to yogallardo43)

My dad: "Hey who is this guy Nix and where did we get him from?"

Me: "We got him about a week ago in the Carlos Lee trade with Mench and Cordero."

My dad: "Oh, I thought I heard his name in there."

The guy sitting behind me: "No, he has been in our minors for a couple of years now. We drafted him just a while back."

Me: "Are you sure? (I knew I was right)

Me: "Care to make things interesting?"

The guy: "You betcha. Larry Nix (you just know he'd butcher the name) has been with the Brewers since 2005. Look it up!"

Me: "Okay, how's $10 sound?"

The guy: "$10 and the loser buys the winner a beer."

Me: "Sure. Let's pull out my iphone here and get on the net here on Miller Park Wireless (shameless plug, although I don't know what the real name is)"

The guy: "Dude, that thing is awesome! Can you pull youtube clips up on that?" (he's slowly beginning to realize that he made a bet with someone that he can't pull one over on and trying to change the subject.)

Me: "Ah, here it is. Carlos Lee and Nelson Cruz for Mench, Cordero, and Laynce Nix. Oh, AND minor leaguer Julian Cordero." (You then show the guy the screen to read it for himself. Don't hand the device over though; he may smash it, spill his beer on it, etc.)

The guy: "Dang it! Now who the heck was I thinking of then?"

This could go on for a while. Bottom line is do you make the guy cough up the dough or do you drop it and let him know, in a nice way, to get facts straight before making comments to others?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I usually mind my own business. Even if someone near me says something totally wrong I would rather not get in a fight with anyone that may take offense to me correcting them. If people around me engage in conversation with me then I will chime in when I see fit.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Not necessarily at the park, but I enjoy when people find out you're a Brewer fan and then make an argument about the Brewers based on one or two stupid things, because that's all they really know about the Brewers. For example, some of the ones I've heard this year about why the Brewers are not good:

- Capuano sucks, the Brewers will not win

- The Brewers start off good every year, and then they collapse

- Sheets always gets hurt

- "Turnblow" (Saying it like they thought that up)

- My personal favorite, they here that Gagne (usually pronounced Gag-knee) is a steroid guy so the Brewers will lose

My dad, on the other hand, will correct anyone. He gets a pass because he's a crazy old man.
I love it when the idiots are shown up by the crazy old men in like the 2nd inning, then the crazy old men proceed to berate then for the remainder of the game.

I love it when the idiots are shown up by the crazy old men in like the 2nd inning, then the crazy old men proceed to berate then for the remainder of the game.

you know my dad? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Hi Son - Tomwopat!

As my son indicated, I am truly a crazy old man. I will interupt and correct everybody. I try not to interject my opinions in others conversations. I know it's rude, but I just can't help it. if I hear two people talking, I enter their conversation and make it a threesome. it doesn't even have to be about the brewers. Along the same lines, if people are not talking, I'll start a conversation with them. I'll ask them where they're from and other things. then I'll start talking about me. I start conversations with smokers and tell them they are going to die if they don't stop. I tell people they must have kraut on their brat, and hot dogs are meant to go with ketchup not mustard. Afterall, you need your vegetables. I remind people that two of our greatest presidents of all time were by definition - LIBERAL so Hillary can't be all that bad. FDR and Lincoln were big on taxes and federal directed over state directed programs. By definition, that's being liberal. I go up to babies and small kids and say Hi and talk to them. I also start playing with other peoples' pets especially dogs. I can't remember the last dog I saw that i didn't pet. if the pet is going to poop on my lawn and pee on my trees, I feel tha t gives me the right to play with it. When i go to church and the person at the door asks me how I've been, I'll tell them how it's going for the next 10 minutes. I know i'm kind of rude that way. maybe I'm just a crazy old guy who likes people.

On the other side of the coin, when I'm talking to these new found friends, I don't like my wife or son or some other know it all embarassing me when I' m talking by informing me I am wrong. that blows my cred. I hate singing duets with my wife brecause she always interupts me by saying I'm not singing the right notes or right words.

On a similar note, i'm going to a Cards / Cubs game on 3 may in St louis. Should I wear my brewers hat? should I boo against both teams? Should I be proud of my favorite team and let the entire stadium know it? or should I be more descrete and be quite and watch the game?

I'd probably lay low and not really cheer/boo either team (well maybe boo the Cubbies since it's in St. Louis). I personally think it's annoying when fans of neither the Brewers nor who they're playing wear their teams stuff to Miller Park and cheer against the Brewers, and yes it's mostly been Cubs fans but I'm sure there've been others. I've been to a handful of Cubs games at Wrigley, none of which were against the Brewers, and I just sit their contently rooting against them in my head, but not cheering obnoxiously when the other team does something good. I'd rather not start a heated arguement or be berated, which could happen no matter what park you're at. That's just me, though http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I was at Shea this weekend and corrected the people taunting Prince by chanting, "Ve-gan. Ve-gan." I told them he was a vegetarian and, oddly, it didn't endear me to them and neither did Rickie Weeks's bat.

(By the way, give me the Shea crowd any day of the week versus the Wrigley crowd. As opposed to Cubs fans, they actually know who's on the visiting team's roster. Hell, as opposed to Cubs fans, they actually know who's on THEIIR own roster.)

You know, this is a problem that has exploded over the last couple of years. I've entered into conversations to which I was not invited and have had it end both well and poorly. I don't mind people having other opinions than me but when I plop down next to the guy ripping the tags off all his new Brewer gear, I just close my eyes and know I'm in for a long night.

On the subject of other fans, I've found Cardinal fans to be quite enjoyable to watch a game with. I've had good converstations with them in which we educate each other on our prospective teams. And they never yell, "Let's go Cubbies" at random, inopportune times.

The absolute worst, though, is having to engage with a conversation at work with someone who has watched like 1 game in the last 3 years and knows I'm a big Brewers fan. I smile and nod but deep down, I just want to run as fast as I can into a wall.

Last week the two guys behind we at the game were LOUDLY discussing what a great trade Ryan Braun for David Wright would be.

I'm in my seat telling myself "Do not get involved in this!" It goes on and on about how great a THIRD BASEMAN Ryan is and how he could net David Wright in a trade. About an inning later One guy notes how suprising it is that their Fantasy League hadn't make Ryan an outfeilder yet.

I'm Glad I didn't get involved.

Same game on the fly out to rf that Rickie sort of got in the way for corey's throw home. I yelled(while the ball was in the air) something to the effect of "Call him off Gabe(who was in center)" and said to my GF "Gabe's got a great arm" Dude in front of my quickly corrrected me and that lead to a pleasant discussing about why Gabe should have been in RF. This discussion was between me and my GF because the dude in front of me was way too proud of himself and his "catch" for me to discuss further.

Thanks for the correction try not to be REALLY happy with yourself about it.

Moral of the Two stories: Tread Lightly.

'

(Another Shea note: On one of the days, my buddy got in a fight with his girlfriend so she didn't come, leaving us with a last-minute extra seat that we couldn't sell, or didn't really bother to, at least. Dude in a Reyes jersey was in the spare seat. We didn't make him move, but just wanted to be sure that our biggish group was aligning properly. Anyway, Met fan thought we wanted him out, and when our group put our jackets there, we heard muttering the rest of the game from various quarters about these F-bomb Brewers fans: "Who are dese people? What kind of people buy an extra seat for their F-bomb jackets? Is dat what dey do in Milwaukee?" We didn't correct them.)

Back in high school, my friends and I use to go to games and purposely state obviously wrong facts just to irritate the people around us. I know, it's childish, but looking back now, it was so much fun.

For example, I remember going to the game where Rickey Henderson was about to break the season steals mark. We started annoying people while we were in line waiting for tickets. It went something like this:

Me: "Wow, pretty good crowd tonight"

My Friend - very matter of factly: "Yeah, Molitor is close to breaking the Brewers stolen base mark"

Me - "Oh yeah, I forgot about that!"

Guy in front of us turns around with a scowl on his face and shakes his head in disgust at our lack of knowledge, then turns back around.

My friend and I bite out tongues trying not to burst out laughing like only immature teenagers can do.

Ahhhh...good times.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I was at Shea this weekend and corrected the people taunting Prince by chanting, "Ve-gan. Ve-gan." I told them he was a vegetarian and, oddly, it didn't endear me to them and neither did Rickie Weeks's bat.

(By the way, give me the Shea crowd any day of the week versus the Wrigley crowd. As opposed to Cubs fans, they actually know who's on the visiting team's roster. Hell, as opposed to Cubs fans, they actually know who's on THEIIR own roster.)

You nailed it. I was at Wrigley for the Bush debacle a couple weeks ago and the guy behind me kept referring to the Cubs CF as Felix PYE, as in apple pie. And, no, he wasn't being cute...

Archived