Brewer Fanatic

Red Sox jersey buried in new Yankee Stadium

These fans are just crazy.

A construction worker's bid to curse the New York Yankees by planting a Boston Red Sox jersey in their new stadium was foiled Sunday when the home team removed the offending shirt from its burial spot.

After locating the shirt in a service corridor behind what will be a restaurant in the new Yankee Stadium, construction workers jackhammered through the concrete Sunday and pulled it out.

The team said it learned that a Sox-rooting construction worker had buried a shirt in the new Bronx stadium, which will open next year across the street from the current ballpark, from a report in the New York Post on Friday.

Full Story

yeah, I heard a rumor about this earlier in the week and it turns out that it was true. I like how they say they are investigating what action they will take on the construction worker who buried it (he no longer works for the construction firm). What can they really do?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Yeah, to try and prosecute this guy is way overboard on the Yankees part. It was a good joke on his part to do this and much funnier that the Yankees took over 5 hours today to dig it up out of 2 feet of concrete.

I was watching the Sox/Yanks tonight and Joe Morgan was talking about how much it probably cost to dig it up. He talked about the time involved, union workers, Sunday pay, etc. Then Joe Miller said, "You sound like you are unhappy you were busy Sunday."

Thought it was funny. I was thinking something similar - what a waste of money to dig up a jersey.

"Hopefully the Jimmy Fund will auction it off and we'll take the act that was a very, very bad act and turn it into something beautiful,"

Very, very bad? wow, that's really an exageration. They are really making a big deal about something pretty trivial.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think it would have been funnier had he said he did it, but not actually do it. Thus, they make a big deal out of nothing(which they did anyways). Regardless, I think if they try to prosecute the man, thats a bit overboard.

This is a non-story if it happens between the Royals and Twins. I don't care, nor will I care in 3 weeks when it's all I hear about.

In all fairness the Twins and Royals are not big enough rivals, nor top level teams to warrant such excitement. I think though that had this happened between the Giants-Dodgers or even a Brewers fan pulling this on a new Cubs stadium with all of the "jinxes" and "curses" that Cubs fans have gone through that it would have warranted a pretty good deal of attention as well. However it's not that they are both on the East Coast that causes such attention so much as it is that the rivalry is so big between the fanbases.

In that respect it was a story that while insignificant in the larger scheme of things deserved at least a little attention.

Rp

If I could just figure out a way to stop getting ESPN for everything but the games they show, I'd be a happier person. And even then I'd still have to mute it.

I wonder if PTI and the like will talk about this?

Yes. Of course.

*sigh*

I don't think the Yankees have much to stand on, especially since what's his publically said that "I hope the other works find and beat the out of him". Sure he can counter sue especially if the guy gets harrased or even physically hurt.

I'm glad the Sox are so in the head of the Yankees that they are reverting to superstition and wasting time.

And that seems to be what their lawsuit will be based on. The lawyers here would know better, but wouldn't the Yankees have to prove that they're somehow damaged by this being in the concrete?

When I was a younger man, the Yankees - Red Sox rivalry was one of the things I pointed to in order to try to explain why baseball was the most interesting professional sport

I hate it now. I hate every player, front office guy, broadcaster, media type, et al. associated in any way with either team. I hate ESPN largely because of its role in turning this rivalry into the kind of disgustingly insipid self-parodic wretchfest that produces "stories" like this. Any "journalist" or "commentator" who has said anything whatsoever about this story that gives it credence should be summarily executed, without a trial, last meal, and certainly without a chance for last words. Let their last words be whatever they said or wrote about this story.

Oh, in case anyone was wondering, as I'm just 29 years old, it's only taken around a decade for this to happen. All hope is lost for the future of our wretched culture.

My point is I'd rather see ESPN show more highlights of all the games being played that day than spend 5 minutes talking about this. They're in the habit of showing 20 seconds of highlights from all the games that aren't the Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, or Mets. If they dispersed the time spent on this crap on the other games, we'd have maybe 30-35 seconds... maybe show 2-3 plays instead of 1-2.

These are all reasons why I prefer FSN's "The Final Score" to Sportscenter these days.

P.S. - "Titletown"?? Come on, so lame.

I'm sick of ESPN, but I really have no alternative. If this involved a smaller market team it wouldn't crack anything besides that trivial "other news" one liners at the bottom of ESPN magazine. Thanks to ESPN I hate the Red Sox, Celtics, Patriots, Boston College, etc..

I don't think it's a big deal at all, but ESPN will turn it into a big deal unfortunately.

not exactly sure how this is ESPNs fault, but then again everything is ESPNs fault on this board. It has something to do with the Sox and Yanks and a stupid curse or a possible curse and ESPN is just reporting on it. It was on other news channels too, are they to blame as well?

They show more highlights of the Yankees, Sox because of their rivalry, they are on the east coast, and frankly more people like those teams than the Brewers. Most people outside of Wisconsin could give a crap less about the Brewers just like we don't really care about any other team.

The problem with ESPN is that you watch Sportscenter, and you MAYBE get a highlight of your mlb or nba team, but you need to make sure the Yankees didn't have a jesey buried underneath their stadium or else you won't see Bucks highlights. I just wish they'd focus on highlights and give their "experts" and "news stories" like this less time.

Archived