Brewer Fanatic

Yost should get kudos for keeping Turnbow out of there (OOPS...I jumped the gun.)

bobskube
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem is the team has two relievers that are completely untrustworthy in Turnbow and McClung. How long can we possibly go on knowing that two guys in the pen cant be used unless the games get out of hand.

That is a Melvin made problem that Ned has to deal with. Using Turnbow in situations like last night were bad T-bow will only minimally decrease the chance of winning but good T-bow (which according to last year is about 80% of the time) will not harm the teams chances of winning at all is the best possible use of him. Considering we have to use him sometime to keep the rest of the pen from overuse his use last night means we have better options further down the road in games with a greater chance of winning. To me last night was a prime example of Yost's improved bullpen useage this season.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

My theory has always been that DM (much like Vargas), has shopped Turnbow in the past, and teams have passed on him.
I think this is why we heard Doug talking up Turnbow most of the winter. You know that stuff about Turnbow holding the lead 80% of the time, how they were "content" with him as closer and not worried about signing someone else, etc.

The problem is the team has two relievers that are completely untrustworthy in Turnbow and McClung. How long can we possibly go on knowing that two guys in the pen cant be used unless the games get out of hand.

I really don't have anything to back this up, so take it for what it's worth, but I imagine every team in the league has 2 or more bullpen arms that they wouldn't trust in important situations. I tend to think we're fairly lucky to have as many reliable bullpen guys as we do.

As for Turnbow, that guy is the ultimate tease. If his slider is on, he's nearly unhittable, and for the entire season of 2005 and for almost half of 2006, it was on. I just don't understand how that disappears. If it was a physical thing, it probably would have been caught by now, so it seems like it has to be in his head. Last night he threw about 20 straight-as-an-arrow fastballs in a row (with a few badly-attempted breaking balls that didn't break at all). After he was done getting lit up with fastballs, he threw 4 of the nastiest sliders that I've seen since 2006. I just don't get it.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

After he was done getting lit up with fastballs, he threw 4 of the nastiest sliders that I've seen since 2006. I just don't get it.
I saw this too. After getting the bejeebus smashed out of him with the fastball, he did throw a nasty slider that made Schumacker look really bad. Oh where oh where did our T-Bow go?

maybe getting those nasty sliders last night will help Turnbow "re-find" his edge in games. I guess we can hope.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

My guess is we will go on like this until Gallardo is off the DL, then one of those two unreliables will no longer be in the pen...I think that means just a few more days. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

The thing is, Turnbow was only an adjustment away from having a decent outing. His fastball was still in the mid 90's and his breaking ball was around the plate. Once he and Kendall realize that hitters are looking for that first pitch fastball, he won't look nearly as bad.

The thing is, Turnbow was only an adjustment away from having a decent outing. His fastball was still in the mid 90's and his breaking ball was around the plate. Once he and Kendall realize that hitters are looking for that first pitch fastball, he won't look nearly as bad.
How can the Brewers not know this by now? If Turnbow could throw his offspeed for a strike, he could throw just that pitch and mow down the side for the rest of the year. He just can't throw it for a strike very often. Batters are sitting dead red on him, and this is why he gets lit up so often. Its not going to change, he just doesn't have command of his out pitch.

Archived