Brewer Fanatic

Yost should get kudos for keeping Turnbow out of there (OOPS...I jumped the gun.)

bobskube

I have been a critic of Yost for awhile now, but I want to give him some props.

Thank god Turnbow has not been put in any critical situations yet. It has helped our bullpen considerably. Although Mota struggled a bit today, the pen was excellent. Keep him for non-critical situations and the team will be fine.

I take back the props I gave to Yost.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont thinnk Turnbow's performance had anything to do with how critical the situation was. I would trust Turnbow more than anyone in our pen other than maybe Gagne, if Ned would realize his shortcomings. I cant find the numbers, but given an off day, and if no men are on base Turnbow is flat out dominant, if Turnbow is pitching back to back days, and if men are on base, he flat out stinks.

...if no men are on base Turnbow is flat out dominant...

I think it might even to be appropriate to narrow that statement down a bit and say, "if no men on base were put there by Turnbow." But still, I'd be on the safe side and have him start innings whenever possible.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Turnbow is going to get into the mix this season. The main problem with Turnbow last year was that he was overworked which caused him to collapse in September. Yost is saving his arm for when the other arms like Mota or Torres get worn down. I look for Turnbow to get plenty of shots in the 8th inning with a lead in this season. The only way this won't happen is if he gets traded.

I have no problem with Turnbow pitching in a tight game. Just as long as he starts the inning. Do not bring him in with men on base ever. And even though he struggled a bit today and got out of the inning I like Mota as our 8th inning guy. Overall the pen is pretty awesome, we just need to boot McClung out of there and get Bush as the long man.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I worded that very poorly. What I was trying to say is that when Turnbow comes in with no men on base he is dominant, when he comes in with men on base he is very bad. The key is if he starts the inning, or if he is thrown in there with men already on base.

I thought I heard Turnbow had a little knee strain or something, which is why he wasn't pitching. Maybe not.

Gord Ash did say last week that Turnbow has slight knee tendonitis. Nothing major, but they are being slow to work him in. I think though this might not be a bad thing given that his arm will be much more fresh if he is given limited innings for the rest of April. He was worked hard last April.

"Thank god Turnbow has not been put in any critical situations yet. It has helped our bullpen considerably.

As much as I want to be fair to Ned, I'd say that if Turnbow indeed has a knee strain, then THAT'S what's keeping him out of critical situations, I'm afraid, and not Ned's new-found managerial brilliance.

"I would trust Turnbow more than anyone in our pen other than maybe Gagne, if Ned would realize his shortcomings. I cant find the numbers, but given an off day, and if no men are on base Turnbow is flat out dominant, if Turnbow is pitching back to back days, and if men are on base, he flat out stinks."

So, a) you're trusting Ned to identify and act upon information which flies in the face of his pre-conceived notions about one of his players, and b) you're relying on Turnbow to excel...but only if we set him in the best possible, low-pressure situations.

Avoid bringing Derrick in when there are runners on, in the middle of an inning....pretty much 99% of all pitchers thrive in that atmosphere. Babying Turnbow to ensure success is like bringing in Nelson Cruz to pinch hit for an RBI opportunity, but only when there are runners on 2nd and 3rd, no outs, and we're up 5 runs...against the opponents' mop-up man.

Derrick Turnbow gets the perks, accommodations and big salary that major leaguers get, so it's not too much to expect him to pitch, and pitch well, under, godforbid, some pressure from time to time. If we have to shield him from stressful conditions, then he shouldn't be here.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

It's doubtful that the knee kept him out of the game today. He was warming up in the bullpen at one point.

he was up and throwing, but i think it was Bill that said, it looks like he was just working on some stuff. Maybe testing out his knee? not sure.

OK, fair enough. Maybe Haudricourt can set the record straight about Derrick's knee. If it's achin', then THAT'S probably why he's being held back. But if he's 100%, then yes, I'll thank Ned for evolving a bit....However, Ned DID have him up and throwing today, which could mean he was spoiling to bring him into a pressure cooker game, so it's tough to call it.
"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

"you're relying on Turnbow to excel...but only if we set him in the best possible, low-pressure situations. "

I do not see that as the case. If we are facing the heart of the opposing teams order, I would feel comfortable with Turnbow in there. Turnbow's inability to pitch with men on base, and on back to back days is certainly a big problem. That does not however relegate him strictly to mop up duty.

"Turnbow's inability to pitch with men on base, and on back to back days is certainly a big problem. That does not however relegate him strictly to mop up duty."

Shouldn't it?

Relief pitchers provide relief, right? When does a pitcher require relief? When he puts the team in dangerous situations, and need someone else to finish off the opposition.

I don't think it's too much to ask of a multi-million dollar veteran, a former All-Star, to come in and shut the door, especially when we're sorely lacking a 2nd lefty in the pen.

Derrick Turnbow gets the perks, accommodations and big salary that major leaguers get, so it's not too much to expect him to pitch, and pitch well, under, godforbid, some pressure from time to time. If we have to shield him from stressful conditions, then he shouldn't be here.

Great point. Nicely said.

He should provide relief, not be handed comfy situations. If Turnbow was a rookie, or if he was just coming back off of surgery or if he was in his 40's, I wouldn't require/expect as much from him. He's a big boy, in his career prime, making multi-millions. I expect a reliever to do his job, regardless of the situation.

By the way, way to make it personal with the condescension, in a debate you had no part in, endaround. I expected nothing less from you...

Archived