Brewer Fanatic

5/17/07 Brewers (Sheets) @ Phillies (Garcia): 2:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
Some guys, who may not be better players than others, seem to adjust to the majors better than others. There were lots of "better" players than Scott Podsednik, but he was able to adjust to the majors better than more talented players, or he just improved more than others. Why Gwynn gets the automatic backhand treatment by people without getting a shot (people assume he will end up being terrible) seems short sighted to me.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weeks is actually doing a great job of having plate patience and getting on base, as evidenced by his batting average vs. OBP.

Once his average starts to rise, his OBP will be right where we need him to be to be a good leadoff man. There is no need for a change there. TGJ would make a better #2 than a leadoff man.

Strikeouts do NOT matter for a leadoff man. It does not matter how he makes his outs, whether it's a line drive to center, a ground out to third, or a K. He's generally not moving anyone over.

Man Ueck kills me when he starts to get excited like its going out and then its caught.

Jenks got good wood on it but nothing has been carrying all day to RF. Gross's went out to left centerfield.

Quote:
I actually think Weeks would make a good #2.

Based on what? He strikes out too much to be a #2, your #2 has a responsibility much of the time to move your #1 over, which is exactly why you generally don't want to see too many strikeouts out of your #2.

Ha. Id rather have Weeks stay there then Gross. Gross is a middle of the order type hitter.

I guess now I'm confused what you want in a leadoff hitter? Gross gets on base at a very good clip and if you want speed, he's definitely fast enough. He could be a Youkilis-type leadoff hitter, which worked well for Boston last year.

if you want speed, he's definitely fast enough. He could be a Youkilis-type leadoff hitter, which worked well for Boston last year.

Gross is not that fast. And if you want someone like Kevin Youkilis hitting lead-off for your team. Then thats your choice. How did that work for Boston last season?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived