Brewer Fanatic

5/17/07 Brewers (Sheets) @ Phillies (Garcia): 2:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Gross would have done that today instead of Gwynn, everyone would be demanding he go down to AAA.

I don't get the TGJ vs. Gross argument. My argument is whether we need TGJ playing because we need a leadoff hitter. 3 good ABs mean something when you're vying to bat leadoff. Of course, I can't bring up TGJ in any thread anymore without it becoming a Gross argument.

Quote:
Gross argument. My argument is whether we need TGJ playing because we need a leadoff hitter

The answer to your question is no, we don't need a leadoff hitter. Thus it becomes a battle for Gross, Hart or Gwynn playing vs righties.

There is no way I'd play Gwynn just to be a leadoff hitter, he has to earn the job by being better than the other guys.

"If Gross would have done that today instead of Gwynn, everyone would be demanding he go down to AAA."

I'm still demanding that he goes down to AAA, unless they can trade Mench. Gabe deserves regular playing time somewhere, and he's not going to get it as our 6th outfielder. His time will come, but barring an injury or a trade, it won't come in '07.

Thanks for the honesty BrewCrew http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

No problem. I agree with UeckerAddict though. This should not be a Gwynn vs Gross battle. But a we need Gwynn in the lead-off role. But its become an all out Gwynn vs Gross battle. Each guys does what they do. Thing is we have a lot of pretty good OF's and not enough places to play them. Its tough.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

It just doesn't matter enough to play a guy just to be leadoff, playing Counsell or Graffanino or Hart leadoff if you have to(not that there is anything wrong with Weeks), makes more sense than playing Gwynn over a better player. Thus it becomes Gwynn vs the other OF's for playtime.

Its just silly to play him just because he fits your idea of a leadoff hitter.

Is anyone watching this game?

I just want to know how Sheets has looked so far. The numbers indicate he is throwing the ball well, but just wanted someone who is actually watching the game to comment on how his command has been and if his curveball is good today.

Verified Member
Quote:
No but he needs to take walks and get on base so the big guys can drive him in. I think right?

True, but that really has nothing to do with strikeouts. It has to do with outs in general. Considering his very low batting average, he's actually doing an outstanding job of getting on base. He does lead the team in walks at 21 with Prince in second at 17.

I just want to know how Sheets has looked so far.

He is pitching well today. The hitters seem to be behind his fastball and even though his curveballs are not locating for strikes, he's getting some to bite on it. He's using it mostly as a setup pitch today for his fastball that's touching as high as 98mph today.

Gary "Sarge" Matthews, the TV color man for the Phills is annoying me every time the Phillies hit by saying that Sheets will give up some runs today because he keeps pounding them with fastballs and the Phills hitters are great fastball hitters. They sure haven't shown me that they can do anything with Sheets' heater today.

Archived