Brewer Fanatic

5/17/07 Brewers (Sheets) @ Phillies (Garcia): 2:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
I'm kind of glad this game isn't on TV. Every time I see Freddy Garcia I am tempted to start talking like The Rock. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Sheets is cool in my book so far this season, but it would be nice to see the strikeout levels that we're more used to.

Agreed. If he gets those back up to what we are used to we are looking at a Cy Young Contender.

You do realize he hasn't been "missing". Right?

Don't bother? I have no idea what will satisfy anyone, anymore. He has been good and still gets talked about like he just stinks, But were in a losing streak and out of the woodwork come all the bashers.

The problem with him being so dominating on Opening Day is that now a good number of people actually expect him to repeat that performance just about every time out. And that's just ridiculous.

I've come to the conclusion that I am to blame for the Brewers recent slide. I'm sorry I didn't identify the problem sooner, but rest assured the problem is fixed and we will win today.

This past weekend I posted this picture on my website with the caption "Brewers offense so strong they need 2 runners at every base"

http://www.gobrewersgo.com/2runners.jpg

Since then we have lost 4 straight, been out scored 27-12 and nearly been no hit. I'm sorry!

Seriously, lets come home with a win. Were still 10 games over and 4.5 up. Go Brewers!

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

I don't want to move JJ out of the 2 spot. Hitters in the 2 spot feast on fastballs, like Hardy has all year. Weeks needs to move down some.

1. Tony Gwynn, Jr. - RF

2. JJ Hardy - SS

3. Prince Fielder - 1B

4. Bill Hall - CF

5. Rickie Weeks - 2B

6. Johnny Estrada - C

7. Geoff Jenkins / Kevin Mench - LF

8. Craig Counsell / Tony Graffanino (Ryan Braun when up) - 3B

9. Pitcher

Weeks moves down as he's a good gap hitter with some pwoer and speed. He also has a decent OBP. Estrada has a great AVG and little SO's which means he makes contact with the ball a lot. He advances runners. With Rickies speed in front of him, he could move a guy from first or second to third or home real easy.

The top of the lineup speaks for itself.

Once Braun comes up and shows everyone how good he is, he'll move to the 5 or 6 spot. Next year the 3 spot, with Fielder in the 4 and Hall in the 5.

"You do realize he hasn't been "missing". Right? He's been dominating every since the 2 games after Opening Day (when he was also dominating.)"

I like Ben Sheets. I really do. I just don't understand the people who act like somebody insulted their mother when a question is raised about Sheets' performance.

He's been pretty good this year. 3-2 with a 4.10 ERA and average strikeout totals. Those obviously aren't "ace" numbers (more like a #3 starter on a good team), but they're not bad either. Would I have signed up for that at this point in the season if you'd asked me in March? Probably, if for no other reason than knowing that he'd still be healthy.

I can tell you that I was at Shea last Saturday, and Ben Sheets certainly didn't dominate. Dominating is what Hamels did to the Crew last night. Staked to a similar early lead, I thought Sheets MIGHT dominate, but he kind of crumbled in the fifth. Gutted out another inning and left with a 4-3 lead. That game was a white-knuckler until the 8th, when the Crew's bats broke it open. In retrospect, thank God they did, given how Turnbow has struggled on this trip.

The funny thing about Ben Sheets is that he's got a golden arm, so every time his turn comes up in the rotation, you have a "hope springs eternal" moment where you fantasize about a command performance. At least those of us who were in the house for his 18 K game a few years ago do.

We'll see if Sheets can be a stopper today. Would sure make the plane ride back to Beertown a lot more fun.

Quote:
I agree with keeping Hardy in the two spot. My tweak would be flipping Fielder and Hall. Get Billy a steady diet of fastballs to hit.

Not sure I agree with taking a struggling Billy Hall and putting him in the 3 hole.

Quote:
I like Ben Sheets. I really do. I just don't understand the people who act like somebody insulted their mother when a question is raised about Sheets' performance.

I just don't understand why there is a "missing person's" sign posted in the thread as though Ben Sheets has been AWOL all year, when in reality, aside from the 2 starts after opening day he has been great. I don't really care how 'dominating' he appears. I just care about results. I would like to see more strikeouts though, which would really put his stamp on being the team Ace.

Quote:
He's been pretty good this year. 3-2 with a 4.10 ERA and average strikeout totals. Those obviously aren't "ace" numbers (more like a #3 starter on a good team), but they're not bad either. Would I have signed up for that at this point in the season if you'd asked me in March? Probably, if for no other reason than knowing that he'd still be healthy.

He had a couple of bad starts back to back, after opening day.

Without those 2 starts, his ERA is 2.50 on the season.

He has a 3.00 ERA in his last 5 starts.

18 K game a few years ago

I always think about that game everytime Ben takes the mound. Like could today be the day he throws a game like that again. It was amazing.

I actually somewhat like the idea of Hall in the 3 hole and Prince 4th. He would probably get good pitches to hit batting in front of Prince.

Yes! TGJ at lead-off

No! Gross in RF.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

settle down mike, your man love for Benny has been acknowledged.

I never said that Sheets sucks, or that he is doing bad. I just think of the word "Ace" as someone who dominates, like we got dominated last night. I can take the sign down for now :-)

Thank God TGJ is leading off!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't see anyone bashing Benny and he's probably my favorite Brewers (check avatar).

I think a few of us are just hoping for a real gem tonight, feeling like our offense could benefit from not having to score 7+ runs to win the game.

Don't get offended, we know Ben has been solid this season, but we also know he hasn't had his best stuff yet.

"Not sure I agree with taking a struggling Billy Hall and putting him in the 3 hole."

I thought my post was clear, putting him ahead of Fielder in the lineup will ensure that he gets good pitches to hit. Getting good pitches to hit, theoretically, may help get his bat on track. By the same rationale, I'd be fine with a lineup that leads off w/ Gwynn and bumps Weeks into the three hole.

Either way, with Hardy raking the way he is, I don't like Fielder right behind him. Let's give our best hitter some baserunners to work with.

(Of course, you can make the argument that Hardy will get less to hit with Hall behind him, and his performance may suffer. That'd be a risk I'm willing to take. For one, I think he's got a better eye than either Weeks or Hall, and would do a better job laying off of junk.)

They just announced that Weeks and Hall will get the day off, Counsell batting second, TGJ leading off, Jenkins and Gross in the OF.

Please, I am eating lunch. Good to see TGJ where he belongs, but CC, Graffy, and Gross all in the lineup at the same time? Along with Sheets batting 9th, this lineup has more holes than the protective netting behind home plate. Please baseball gods, make it so this will be the last time it happens.

That's a pretty weak lineup, for sure, but I think Hall and Weeks could use a day off.

I hope I'm wrong, but my gut tells me this game is going to be really frustrating to listen to.

Please, no sweep. This series already reminds me a lot of the Pittsburgh series from May 2006.

Archived