Brewer Fanatic

Bag 0 Balls > Wes Helms

twobrewers

I bet if you ask the Phillies, they'd tell you that he was traded for a debt relief of $2.4 mil - $1. The compensation doesn't always have to be another player. Obviously, the Marlins think Helms is worth more than nothing or else they wouldn't have traded for him.

Not as funny as you think. Different sport but the Winnipeg Jets traded Kris Draper to Detroit for $1 when he was still trying to establish himself. He's won several Stanley Cups since and is still an integral part of the team.

With that being said I don't see the same for Helms but if Florida goes back to playing him once or twice a week and letting him pinch hit he could still have some value.

Why not just release a guy rather than sell him for a dollar?
2.4 million dollars saved I would assume. That is a first round draft pick bonus money.

Edit: nevermind I misread it; I honestly have no idea. Because this way the Marlins save a league minimum salary?

Dang, if I would have known I would have bid two dollars so he could do my lawn work, cook, or pinch hit for the Brewerfan softball team.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

That's good stuff right there.

I would have to assume the buyout would be at least several hundred thousand. I agree with jackalope; maybe if a team actually doesn't pay Helms a high salary, they will use him correctly. He does hit lefties pretty well.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

"As it turns out, Wes Helms got traded for $1. That is all the Marlins had to give the Phillies, who agreed to pay his $2.4 million salary this season. (He is under contract next season, though the Marlins could buy him out.)"

They do not have to pay anything this year. Next year however, Helms had a 750 K buy out attached to his 3.75 million dollar deal. The marlins will have to pay for that.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/baseball/marlins/sfl-flspmarnot08sbapr08,0,7715317.story?track=rss

LaprilOne wrote:

Why don't we stop kicking the cold carcas of Wes Helms? He is gone, let him be.

I will let him be when he stops showing up at our park and winning games for our opponents.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

logan3825[/b]]
LaprilOne wrote:

Why don't we stop kicking the cold carcass of Wes Helms? He is gone, let him be.

I will let him be when he stops showing up at our park and winning games for our opponents.

So, he is completely worthless, or he is a Brewer killer?

I admit, if he has consistenly killed us since leaving us, I get it. Has he?

LaprilOne wrote:

So, he is completely worthless, or he is a Brewer killer?

I admit, if he has consistenly killed us since leaving us, I get it. Has he?

He killed us when he played for us, and he has had several game winning hits against us. I would probably have let it go by now if he didn't keep showing up at the park and beating us.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived