Brewer Fanatic

The Gabe Kapler Thread

splitterpfj

I laughed when the Brewers signed a guy who had quit baseball.

When camp opened, I hoped this experiment would end quickly, leaving that bench spot for someone who would help the team.

Gabe Kapler beat Johan Santana today with a HR, and has done everything he possibly could have to help this team win games thus far.

I was wrong.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/0bb25c84109afdf796728dd7733d54ab3f5e342.jpg

Can't have a Kapler thread without that photo.

Anyway, you're spot on, splitter. Gabe Kapler has played no small part in this team scratching out a 7-4 record without a couple of their best players. He's had the big hits, made some good plays and for whatever its worth, he's fantastic in the clubhouse. I think he's on the club the rest of the year as the 4th/5th outfielder.

Is he gonna keep hitting like he has? No way. However, I see him helping in a few areas:

1) He's a legit good outfielder. I'd trust him over Gabe Gross any day (even tho I think Gross is a good corner OF).

2) He'll keep TGJ off the team maybe long enough to realize that he can't hit. I'm not saying Tony has no place on this team, and truthfully with the makeup of the lineup I'd rather our backup OFers be Kapler and Gwynn, but the team seems overly obsessed with Tony's son.

I have no problem with the guy, and I hope he helps the team this year. Will he last until the end? Hell, we have Joe Dillon and Salomon Torres too.

Gabe was very high on my list of possible scapegoats this year.

I must say, he has been way better than expected. Small sample size and all - he just seems like the Joe Dillon of the OF.

And, unlike Gross (who, by the way, is running away with my scapegoat award right now) Kapler is very good defensively.

Against weaker RHP it wouldn't be bad to see him get some starts.

Looking at the guy you'd think he's some meathead idiot but after watching the interview with Trenni; the guy is really articulate. He was a HUGE fan favorite in Boston and he's just an awesome clubhouse guy.

When they signed him I thought it was Melvin doing one of his guys a favor. It may have started because of that but now I hope he's on the team all year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I will do my best to root for him even though he has posed for pictures like this:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l248/ninetimesblue/ladies/rosh/kapler.jpg

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

"Follow your dreams. You can reach your goals, I'm living proof...Beefcake, BEEFCAKE!"

Edit: I just posted that quote for the beefcake part, but the rest of it fits pretty well since he worked hard to come back and play in the majors again.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

"Follow your dreams. You can reach your goals, I'm living proof...Beefcake, BEEFCAKE!"

Cartmenez rules. Kapler should get the rest of the starts until Cameron returns. Unfotunately, the bad Gabe will still get the nod.

I guess I don't understand all the Gross hate.

I like platoons. And, I mean, this is the same Gabe Kapler who was a well below average hitter for five years running, before becoming a manager.

Let's hope lightning stays caught in the bottle for 14 more games.

If i looked like that i would pose for anyone wanting to take my pick. For that matter, yes i would be "that guy" who would find any excuse to take my shirt off. With that said, its hard not to root for him, just like we did for Dillon.

I agree completely with the original post. When Melvin signed him I figured it was to invite him to camp on a whim just to see how he would do. They would then give him a bus ticket home or a coachuing job in West Virginia or somewhere. Looks like I was wrong. 3 homers in 11 games as a platoon player. Nicely done Gabe.

Not sure I understand the Gross hate either. Gross went on a tear last season that lasted much longer than the one that Kapler is on right now. Don't get me wrong, I'm really starting to like Kapler as well. I just don't think there's any reason to act like Kapler is that much better than Gross.

I like the platoon, and I hope they keep it until Cameron comes back.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I don't hate Gross, he is just absolutely not a center fielder. It's like putting Prince at SS... okay, maybe not that bad but it is hard to watch. Throw in his 2-for-18 start and it's even worse. Gross should be the backup corner OF when Ryan and Corey need a day off. If (knock on wood) one of them gets hurt, then I wouldn't mind seeing a Kapler / Gross platoon, but keep Gross out of CF.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I agree with Monty, Gross just isn't a center fielder, that doesn't mean he can't play. He's hit a lot of balls hard, but right at someone of late, that will even out.

I'd much rather have Gwynn paired with Kapler in center until Cameron is back, but that's not in the cards. I won't be surprised if Ned give Hernan a start out there.

Go Gabe the Babe! Santana's a nobody!

Let's hope lightning stays caught in the bottle for 14 more games.

Word. Kapler's doing a fantastic job filling in for us, and I've been absolutely thrilled that Cameron's absence hasn't created a black hole in our lineup with a slap-hitting Gwynn, especially in light of the struggles of the rest of the lineup thus far.

But it's really not Gross' fault the team plays him out of position when their everyday right fielder would be the better option for center. Gross is just fine defensively as a right fielder.

But yeah, Kapler has been impressive so far. He's earned his spot on the team for the foreseeable future.

I'm thrilled that Kapler has done what he has. That doesn't mean he's turned onto a great player that needs more playing time
I don't think anyone is really lobbying for more playing time for him, he has been a great stop-gap for Cameron. I just hope fans remember this hot streak when Yost inevitably plays him too much after it comes to an end.

Not to change the topic, but I posted this @ the end of the game-thread, but it was to late to get much response. Was anyone else hoping that Ned would have had Gabe bunt Rickie over to 3rd in the top of the 1st yesterday? With Santana on the mound (turned out not to matter) I thought playing for 1 run right away was not a bad idea.

I don't think anyone is really lobbying for more playing time for him, he has been a great stop-gap for Cameron. I just hope fans remember this hot streak when Yost inevitably plays him too much after it comes to an end.

Nope people are already calling for him to start full time and even replacing Hart occasionally if Hart doesn't get "hot"

Is there any reasonable scouting angle that might indicate that Kapler may have done something to suggest legitimate improvement since his most recent Major League stints? I don't mean staying at this level; I'm just thinking in terms of him being better than before.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

But it's really not Gross' fault the team plays him out of position when their everyday right fielder would be the better option for center. Gross is just fine defensively as a right fielder.

Yeah -- In fact after watching a couple of Hart's throws to the plate, I really wonder if Gross's arm in RF wouldn't be an upgrade over Hart.

I am also tickled that Kapler is making the most out of his opportunity so far.

Archived